HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2005, 08:25 PM
Joined Dec 2005
6 Posts
Help!
Blade CX Lower Blade issue

I just purchased a Blade CX and am having a ton of issues.
I was able to hover it and practiced for about 10 minutes or so and then had to recharge. I'm using the training bars w/orange balls to learn.
The next time I flew it I crashed it and the balance bar popped off. I carefully put it back on and checked for balance (not flying) and it was fine. Then when I took off the copter went about 6 inches and went into a violent occilation and crashed. - After that the lower blade would not engage. I replaced the moter at the hobby shops suggestion and it still doesn't work - what's up?
Also - the CX at the hobby shop that they were using as a demo has a very bent balance bar with a 1" screw taped to one end and the thing flew better than mine ever did out of the box !
I find it discouraging to think the little 4 in 1 servo would have failed after only about 20 minutes of hovering.
wrongway7 is offline Find More Posts by wrongway7
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2005, 08:55 PM
Toms River Rj Miller, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined May 2003
318 Posts
Check the two screws going thru the shaft holder at the very bottom of the copter [turn upside down and look] hold the bottom gear and try to turn the top blades. if you can, thetwo screws have to be tightened. Also, make sure that the flybar is on so that the weights are close to the LEADING edge of the top blades.
rcflyrdon is offline Find More Posts by rcflyrdon
Old Dec 23, 2005, 09:05 PM
Joined Dec 2005
6 Posts
Ok, I checked the screws and they're tight
But motor that runs the lower blades will not engage and I have replaced it as the hobby shop suggested.
I've hooked up both the old (original) moter and the new one to the connection for the upper blade moter and both of the moters operate fine, they just don't operate when connected to the lower connection on the 4 in 1 servo...
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:17 PM
Toms River Rj Miller, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined May 2003
318 Posts
Does the motor turn the upper gear but does not turn the outer shaft [which turns the lower blades] ? then the outer shaft or lower rotor head have disconnected . try turning lower blades and see if the upper gear turns. if not, the fastening is broken or very loose
rcflyrdon is offline Find More Posts by rcflyrdon
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:24 PM
Joined Dec 2005
6 Posts
Well the motor doesn't turn...
I'll check it again but the problem is that the motor that turns the lower blades does not run at all - and this is a new motor.
IF I switch and plug it into the 4 in 1 servo where the other motor connects then it runs like a champ but in the plug where it is suppose to go I get nothing.
If I had slammed into the ground or a wall I could understand the problems but the thing crashed from about 6 to 10 inches off the ground!
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:30 PM
Joined Feb 2003
3,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongway7
Well the motor doesn't turn...
I'll check it again but the problem is that the motor that turns the lower blades does not run at all - and this is a new motor.
IF I switch and plug it into the 4 in 1 servo where the other motor connects then it runs like a champ but in the plug where it is suppose to go I get nothing.
If I had slammed into the ground or a wall I could understand the problems but the thing crashed from about 6 to 10 inches off the ground!
It sounds like you might have damaged your 4in1 unit in your crash. This type of damage is likely to occur when a blade is suddenly stopped and the throttle isn't immediately lowered.

Brendin
Xnaron is offline Find More Posts by Xnaron
Old Dec 24, 2005, 03:38 AM
Joined Dec 2004
19 Posts
In english it seems the speed controller fried. The motor must have drawn a huge amprage when you nailed it to the floor. So it cooked something. ESC most likely. I don't know heli's or planes very well but is it possible that theres a simple short somewhere and the "insert part here" is keeping the rotor from engaging? Go ESC. Try to return it, say it was DOA.
sargemonkey is offline Find More Posts by sargemonkey
Old Dec 24, 2005, 08:45 AM
Joined Dec 2005
6 Posts
Well if you call crashing from 10 inches off the ground "nailing it" then I suppose thats what happened.

I do believe its the 4 in 1 unit - at least the part that controls the lower motor and the gyro.

I'm wondering now if there was a problem from the start. When I watched the guy at the hobby shop easily take off and fly the demo CX with the bent balance bar with a screw taped to one end (of the balance bar) I realized the balance bar on mine wasn't the problem.

But with my CX when you took off it would sometimes go into a violent uncontrollable occilation at about 6 inches off the ground. This would happen immediately with ANY small movement of any directional control.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:27 AM
Joined Dec 2005
4 Posts
Before you give up on the 4 in 1 be sure to check the pins where the motor is plugged into and make sure there isn't a pin bent or broken in there.

Another idea: you might want to check the porportional pot as shown on page 26 of your manual. I am thinking that it just might have gotten so out of whack that it won't send signal to the motor in question.
slago is offline Find More Posts by slago
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:55 AM
Moore, Oklahoma
Joined Oct 2004
4,322 Posts
It sounds like you dont have your flybar in the correct direction. Take it off and make shure the Weight is at the leading edge of the blades and not the TE. Good luck.
airmcn_3 is offline Find More Posts by airmcn_3
Old Dec 24, 2005, 12:26 PM
3vw
Joined Jun 2004
546 Posts
I know Horizon has had a problem with the FET on the 4-1 RX… see what happened for me. LINK

When the problem manifested itself for me I could smell the component that burned out and BOTH motor outputs from the board went dead. Since you only have one motor port that is not working I can’t really say whether this could be the same issue as I had.

I would contact Horizon Customer Service about your problem... They took good care of me and sent me a brand new RX very promptly.
3vw is offline Find More Posts by 3vw
Old Dec 24, 2005, 07:14 PM
Joined Dec 2005
6 Posts
Hmmm,
Well since this CX came from a local Hobby store I doubt Horizon would help.
Guess I'll save my pennies for a new 4 in 1 - just missed a "parts" CX on eBay too!!
Maybe I'll wait a week or so I'm sure a few will get augered in after Christmas.
Old Dec 24, 2005, 09:03 PM
3vw
Joined Jun 2004
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongway7
Hmmm,
Well since this CX came from a local Hobby store I doubt Horizon would help.
What are you talkin about!

I bought my BCX at a local hobby store... that doesn't matter when it comes to warranty
Just as long as you have a sales receipt you should be covered. Just give Horizon a call like I said.
3vw is offline Find More Posts by 3vw
Old Dec 25, 2005, 06:37 AM
Just call me .... Bill
Greenville/Anderson area of SC
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
I had the same problem and it turned out to be the 4 in 1. I took it back to the hobby shop and they contacted Horizon for me and got me a new 4 in 1 at no charge. A good hobby shop will stand behind you.

BTW if you rev up the throttle and the light on the gyro turns red, then you know for sure it's the 4 in 1 - at least that is what mine did.
Solid Hit is offline Find More Posts by Solid Hit
Old Dec 25, 2005, 01:05 PM
Joined Dec 2005
6 Posts
Sorry - didn't realize what you were saying
I dropped an email to Horizon and we'll see what happens.

I do know that the light wasn't always green, that sometimes it would blink red then shift to green. In hindsight I bet that when it would do the violent occilation thing the light was red.