Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 23, 2005, 11:26 AM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Mar 2005
327 Posts
Which way does the elevator move when you pull back on the right stick? It should move up.
It could be you don't have enough speed when starting your turn? As the plane turns you lose lift so usually you'll need to pull back on the right stick a little (up elevator) to keep from losing altitude.
One of the hard things for me for some reason was flying high when learning. If I got over 50' up I'd get nervous. Really it's a lot safer to stay up higher except when landing.
sniderea is offline Find More Posts by sniderea
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:02 PM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Sylmar, CA
Joined Jan 2004
1,538 Posts
What battery are you using. You might consider getting an 8 cell.
Solcat is offline Find More Posts by Solcat
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:02 PM
United Kingdom, England, Manchester
Joined Apr 2005
898 Posts
Tommy,

Have you checked that the CofG is in the correct place with such a light battery pack? Try a hand launched test glide, over long grass if possible, and see how she glides.

Richard
Bearded Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Bearded Flyer
Old Dec 23, 2005, 09:09 PM
Missouri
Joined Jul 2005
483 Posts
ya with a 7.4volt lipo, he is probably tail heavy. I would go with an 8cell (9.6v) 1100 mah pack. (around 165 grams).

http://cheapbatterypacks.com
3d-flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3d-flyer
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:03 PM
Joined Aug 2005
157 Posts
sniderea : yes the elevator moves up when i pull back
solcat i have lipo 1400 2 cell
i also have 3 cell 900 mah should try those?
bearded flyer what do you mean test glide no motor? just throw it?

i did have extra weight before it crashed i had the cvs camera in there prob weaigh about 75-100 grams
how many volts should battery be for the 400 motor?

i just finished repairing the tail was in 2 peices and the top of the nose was pushed in line a bull dog with top chunk loose but i glued everything back to gether looks almost good as new

Tommy
bluesteel212 is offline Find More Posts by bluesteel212
Old Dec 24, 2005, 06:05 AM
Joined Apr 2005
898 Posts
Tommy,

Yes just chuck it! A good hard throw should do it. Make sure that you have the Tx turned on and that the elevator and rudder are set to neutral. Throw it into the wind (if there is any) over a soft landing place. Long grass is good but can be difficult to find this time of year.

Richard
Old Dec 24, 2005, 07:02 AM
Joined Aug 2005
157 Posts
ok gonna try that also i found a 3 cell 900 mah 11.1 volt lipo i am gonna try both
so you think the 1400 7.4 is too weak ?
also if it goes nose down why would it be the battery being too light? would it not be more like a stall?

Tommy
Old Dec 25, 2005, 03:10 PM
Joined Aug 2005
157 Posts
ok i had some bad crashes i broke it in 3 parts tail came off hanging by z wires and whole nose canope got crushed off seem to break in the same spots i broke before.
what is the best way to repait just keep gluing the same spots?

i am flying pretty high now and going pretty stright up and out when i get to the point i want to turn it started twisting and i lost control i am thinking may be it it the reciever i got a gws naro..

Tommy
Old Dec 25, 2005, 03:37 PM
Joined Apr 2005
898 Posts
You can try strengthening the glue repairs with wooden skewers and then wrapping with tape. Foam is very good in compression but not in tension.

When flying try not to over control. Use small movements of the stick. Try 'nudging' the stick and letting it return to normal before doing it again. Little and often is good. When turning give it some up elevator as well but be gentle, it is not like a video game. Don't Panic!

I cannot comment on the receiver as i use a Hitec one.

Richard
Old Dec 25, 2005, 05:27 PM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,960 Posts
Various of the contributors have made good points but let's go back to basics. Without the camera on board does it balance properly at the CG as in the Multiplex instruction manual. If you have any doubts either make a line on the bottom of the wing or better yet push a pin up through each wing at the proper CG point and then with the aircraft set up ready to fly balance with the tips of your fingers feeling the heads of pins under the wings. Nose should be just hanging down a touch (aircraft at about 10 degrees or so nose down).
If you are happy that controls are correct (Elevator up with stick back towards you and rudder natural sense, right for right, left for left) you are ready to fly.
Before committing to the air do a range check preferably with the help of another person. Because the Easy Star aerial comes out underneath you cannot satisfactorily range check with the aircraft on the ground. Have your helper hold the model about four to five feet off the ground. Switch on both transmitter and model but keep the transmitter aerial down. Check everything works as it should (including motor) then walk away still with the aerial down and everything should keep working properly out to at least fifty yards or metres. If not then maybe you do have a problem with either the transmitter or receiver. Also, where is your speed control related to the receiver? If it is very close i.e within an inch or two this can also cause problems with some receivers. Assuming all checks out so that you are happy you are ready to go flying.
The 2S lipo is a bit low in power but it should not worry you in the calm weather in which you should be flying at this stage. You seem to be doing the right things and Bearded Flyer is right. Don't over control, just nudge the sticks to start with as big movements or holding them in may get you into trouble. Test gliding isn't a bad idea either as it helps you practice those landings. Without using the motor just toss the aircraft forward and straight into any breeze. The model must always leave your hand (or your helper's) level or very slightly down. Never up as this can lead to a stall and dive into the ground. The model should glide staight forward with you moving the rudder if necessary to keep it straight to a touch down maybe one hundred feet in front of you.
Set up properly the Easy Star will fly very nicely with NO flyer input at all, in other words it will virtually free flight. For your purposes at first all you should be doing is guiding it gently round your flying area.
If there is any breeze at all face directly into it and keep the model in front of you at all times. Try to aim for just gentle right or left hand circles maybe a couple of hundred feet in diameter. When you are happy with that you can try figure eights by just changing direction as the aircraft flies away from you. No sudden moves remember and keep it in front of you.
I've now flown more than one Easy Star and all have flown identically and without problem.
Landings are when you can take the model just a little downwind. Let it circle round you with the altitude reducing until you are maybe twenty to thirty feet up then with the model facing into that breeze - if any - close the throttle. The Easy Star should settle into a natural glide towards the ground at a very shallow angle with you using the rudder to just keep it facing into that breeze as you did in those test glides. If no wind at all just keep it in a straight line. On those I've flown, including my own, ground effect (don't worry) will normally flare the aircraft for you - it won't spear in. But if you really think it needs it just a tiny squeeze of up may help just before it touches down but DO NOT yank back on the stick as the Easy Star will rear up and stall.
Make certain that you are flying in sufficient open space that you can carry out the above safely and without crashing into trees, fences, parked cars etc. Think gentle movements at all times and good luck. Also try the Easy Star threads under Foamies.
David Hipperson is online now Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Last edited by David Hipperson; Dec 25, 2005 at 05:47 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 08:05 PM
Missouri
Joined Jul 2005
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel212
ok gonna try that also i found a 3 cell 900 mah 11.1 volt lipo i am gonna try both
so you think the 1400 7.4 is too weak ?
also if it goes nose down why would it be the battery being too light? would it not be more like a stall?

Tommy
don't use the 11.1 volt battery. you will burn the motor out as it can't handle more than 9.6volts with direct drive.

The RX should not glitch with antenna down 100 feet away.
3d-flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3d-flyer
Old Dec 26, 2005, 09:59 AM
Joined Aug 2005
157 Posts
right gonna call my ez star frankenstein lol!
ok the hand thrown glide seems good
it see to fly pretty straight and climb good gonna see if i can find some wood splints to put on it before i fly again.

i will try doing a radio check. i had to remove the radio wire from the tub i just started using black heavy gaffers tape.

wind has been really mild over here.

Tommy
Old Dec 27, 2005, 08:38 PM
Joined Aug 2005
157 Posts
ok just to let you know what was happening i did radio check it seem fine for like 200 feet but at some times the motor would stop responding in mid flight and cut out but elevators would still work and rudders ..yes it was a fresh battery.. i even unplugged battery and repluged it and it would start up fine BUT it started in reverse! stick down it would power up stick up motor off yes a checked the the connections. well needless to say frankenstein crashed this time with 4th clean thru break in body with z wires bent only got like one more day in uk..
dont think i can fix it this time but i have learn a lot from you guys and i thank you for your help
i think it might have to do with the gws naro and or maybe the futaba sport i got from ebay it might have had problem i dont know if it normal to heard funny sounds coming from the reciever once it pluged in or if it should be quite all the time kinda winny sounds.

anyway i still like the ezstar but you really need a lot of space for it it goes far and fast
and it can really take a beating!!! anyother plane would have been distroyed i got to repair it every nit and have another go the next day
i might try a slow flyer for my next plane.

Thanks guys

Tommy
Old Dec 27, 2005, 09:10 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel212
i even unplugged battery and repluged it and it would start up fine BUT it started in reverse!
Ensure the servo reverse switch on the transmitter is not "centered" . . should be all the way to one side or the other.
aeropal is offline Find More Posts by aeropal
Old Dec 29, 2005, 06:33 AM
Joined Aug 2005
157 Posts
yes it wa in the correct positon it just changed without any input i kept it on normal