HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:22 PM
Joined Aug 2005
157 Posts
Discussion
how to turn circles with easystar?

ok i had my first maiden flight today had a couple of crashes but last flight was better i am flying a easystar
i have never flew before so this was my first time i was trying to make turns
by moving the left rudder then moving the elevator to get back up then the rudder again is this the proper way? i didnt try moving the stick to upper right corner

so i need advice on simple movement

thanks!!

Tommy
bluesteel212 is offline Find More Posts by bluesteel212
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel212
i was trying to make turns
by moving the left rudder then moving the elevator to get back up then the rudder again is this the proper way?
That sounds correct . . unless your intent was to make right direction turns. The EasyStar design has a relatively small area rudder and elevator to reduce overcontrolling . . so sometimes you have to hold the deflection in a little longer before it responds. Make the first toss of the session a no-thrust glide to test balance and trim. One of the best learning methods is to cut thrust once "at altitude", and practice soaring down to a landing approach . . then throttle-up and repeat the process.
aeropal is offline Find More Posts by aeropal
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:52 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Mar 2005
327 Posts
Just give it slight rudder to begin with. It doesn't require elevator to turn, it may need a little elevator to maintain it's altitude. Also adding elevator can help it turn quicker.
sniderea is offline Find More Posts by sniderea
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:53 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
3,005 Posts
Bs212

Start your turn with a little rudder and a little up elevator at the same time. This will make for a flatter turn . If you only give rudder it will start to drop towards the ground, and will lose alot of altitude before it makes it around. always turn with rudder and elevator. I just started flying power a few months ago and I'm now flying 3D.I hope this helps.
Dragon 2 is offline Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:58 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
If the nose of the plane is pointed up during the turn, you need to input some down elevator.
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Dec 22, 2005, 01:14 PM
Missouri
Joined Jul 2005
483 Posts
For starting out, it's easier to use a yank and bank method.

Use nearly full rudder to tilt the plane to a 30 degree to 45 degree angle, then apply up elevator to complete the turn. after the turn is completed, use the rudder to get the plane back level.

Get some altitude and try what I call a wing test which is turning the plane as tight as possible while holding a steady altitude. The easystar can do tight 360 degree turns within around 100 feet. For this you are going to have to add rudder from time to time to keep the plane tilted at a constant angle.

On my plane, I have throttle on the left, rudder, elevator on the right stick.
3d-flyer is offline Find More Posts by 3d-flyer
Old Dec 22, 2005, 05:59 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA
Joined Mar 2005
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d-flyer
For starting out, it's easier to use a yank and bank method.

Use nearly full rudder to tilt the plane to a 30 degree to 45 degree angle, then apply up elevator to complete the turn. after the turn is completed, use the rudder to get the plane back level.

Get some altitude and try what I call a wing test which is turning the plane as tight as possible while holding a steady altitude. The easystar can do tight 360 degree turns within around 100 feet. For this you are going to have to add rudder from time to time to keep the plane tilted at a constant angle.

On my plane, I have throttle on the left, rudder, elevator on the right stick.
Wow.. When I did that when I was learning I'd end up with it who knows where. I one of my biggest problems was overcontrolling then a short period of panic before the plane needed repairing .
If you have a lot of room there's nothing wrong with a nice slow wide turn.
sniderea is offline Find More Posts by sniderea
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:19 PM
Missouri
Joined Jul 2005
483 Posts
I would agree a slow turn is just fine. Though there is nothing wrong with tilting the plane in a hurry to setup a turn, then applying elevator slowly till the turn is completed.

It takes some practice to get the timing right for turning when mixing rudder and elevator at the same time or even rudder, elevator, ailerons for that matter. Altitude is your friend and get plenty of altitude before you do the first turn. With the easystar for me it works best right after the hand launch to let it just fly level for the first 20 feet to get the speed up, then fly it to around 100 feet before the first turn. By the time I complete the second turn, I'm around 3 mistakes high.

Once you get good with the easystar, you can attempt flying inverted and outside loops though I would admit the easystar will fight you when inverted and outside loops can be dangerous.

I can't wait to get some snow here to try a snow landing with the easystar
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:56 PM
Joined Aug 2005
157 Posts
so 3d you mean puting the stick to the top right corner?

also i dont know what kind of response i am i suppose t oget if i cut engine and try to glide it in:
gota be fast on the elevator?
drops pretty fast watch out!?
better have trottle cuz ther no chance?
glide it home should not be a problem..

thanks guy for you replies
Tommy
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:56 PM
mrX
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Jan 2005
330 Posts
If your set up is like most, throttle is on the left stick and rudder/elevator is on the right stick. That being said, this is what I do to turn in that set up (for a regular old turn):

Right stick as far to the right as you want for making the turn tight, and then pull the stick slightly down to maintain altitude, while holding the left/right direction.

For the tightest possible turn, put the right stick full over, then once the plane reaches full bank, drop the stick to the bottom corner and keep moving to middle and let off and let her level.
mrX is offline Find More Posts by mrX
Old Dec 23, 2005, 04:49 AM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
This is a video of a plain stock easystar, and how it can turn.
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Dec 23, 2005, 05:55 AM
Missouri
Joined Jul 2005
483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesteel212
so 3d you mean puting the stick to the top right corner?

also i dont know what kind of response i am i suppose t oget if i cut engine and try to glide it in:
gota be fast on the elevator?
drops pretty fast watch out!?
better have trottle cuz ther no chance?
glide it home should not be a problem..

thanks guy for you replies
Tommy
The top right corner would to right rudder and down elevator. You need up elevator for turning. Up elevator makes the plane both climb and turn.

For turning you need to use rudder first to tilt the airplane for turning, then using only elevator make your turn. Use additional rudder if needed to maintain your tilt. You turn an airplane differently than a car or a boat: when you tilt the airplane’s wing in the direction that you want it to turn, the airplane will continue to turn as long as the wing is tilted in that direction. But you will NOT be holding the control stick in the direction of the turn (as you would on the steering wheel of a car) -- you will have the control stick (rudder) near NEUTRAL during the turn adding elevator to complete the turn. The plane should not lose altitude while you are turning. If it is, you either have too steep of a tilt or using not enough elevator.

For landing, this plane glides so much the best way to land is cut the engine around 1/2 through your final turn, then just let the plane glide on it's own. As the plane gets close to the ground (10 or so), level it out and add a bit of flare just at the end. When you touch you want the plane to be near a stall though i'm sure the easystar can handle a hot landing as long as the grass is not too tall.
Last edited by 3d-flyer; Dec 23, 2005 at 06:05 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 07:28 AM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Sylmar, CA
Joined Jan 2004
1,538 Posts
Have you downloaded the free simulator FMS?

http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

You can even download a copy of the Easy Star from Multiplex's site in Germany
Solcat is offline Find More Posts by Solcat
Old Dec 23, 2005, 08:39 AM
Nederland
Joined Sep 2005
158 Posts
The turning circle of an Easy isn't great.
Me and some others made bigger Rudders.

Take a look at the pic's in this Dutch tread.
http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/phpBB2/...374&highlight=

With a 400 7,2V I fly in winds that I could't with the stock rudder.
And a 3S4P 4400 lipo pack gives me houres of flight.

Great plane.
Sanka is offline Find More Posts by Sanka
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:47 AM
Joined Aug 2005
157 Posts
ok got fms i really had no proms with fms but in real life i was able to start to make turns just about 180 degees coming back towards me wing dip down then nose then crash! boom! i should have been higher up. i had 2 cell lipo and cvs cam.
had some damage to nose and tail nothing some glue cant fix.

stock 400 moter
lipo 1400 7.4v 2 cell
cvs cam.

but when i tried to fly it again it kept doing nose dives would not climb at all what should i look for?
you think battery were weak? nose damge?

Thanks guys

Tommy