HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2005, 09:56 AM
Joined Aug 2005
64 Posts
Discussion
Micro Hellcat

I read and heard somewhere that joe malinchak's little 1/72 scale hellcat was going to be kitted. Does anyone known when this i planned to come out? If not are there any plans out there? Thanks a lot
xurifle06 is offline Find More Posts by xurifle06
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:48 AM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
1/72 and 1/48 scale micro RC airplanes are going to be the next big thing in a few months. Keep an eye out for them in these threads. Joe Malinchak is the man when it comes to scale micro RC, I met him at the NEAT fair this year. Really nice chap, I hope he visits the micro threads sometime soon.
Electronick is offline Find More Posts by Electronick
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:56 AM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
Here is a picture I took of Joe's Hellcat at the NEAT indoor night. It's sooo tiny I had trouble keeping track of it when it did circuits around the gymnasium.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 11:03 AM
did it flied?
London, UK
Joined Apr 2005
760 Posts
Here is another picture of the Corsair built by Joe.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:55 PM
Joined Nov 2005
250 Posts
the corsair is one of my fav planes nice to see something like this but it looks trashy what i meant by that is look at how nice the other plane looks its not so jagged but still glad to seee a mini corsair.
Darkdevil_725 is offline Find More Posts by Darkdevil_725
Old Dec 22, 2005, 01:16 PM
Akron/Canton, Ohio, United States
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
Its beaded foam, and the plane is very small so its hard to get a clean look. Both are better than what I could make by far.

beano
beanoman is offline Find More Posts by beanoman
Old Dec 22, 2005, 02:39 PM
The ceiling is the limit!
South of England
Joined Aug 2004
1,237 Posts
I had a go at building a 1/72nd bf109g made out of wallfoam. It turned out ok as I used transfers and a cockpit from a plastic revell model kit.
It is very hard to build with wall foam if you want to get a scale look.
Cannot wait until a 1/72nd kit comes out, but what radio will it take?
micromad is offline Find More Posts by micromad
Old Dec 22, 2005, 02:52 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,518 Posts
Right now the Plantraco Butterfly gear is a logical choice. That's what Joe was using in the video I shot at the NIRAC Indoor Champs.

http://www.rcgroups.com/articles/ezo...c/hellcatb.wmv
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Dec 22, 2005, 03:49 PM
Joined Aug 2005
64 Posts
That little hellcat is one of the coolest things ive ever seen. Is there any radio gear out there that will work with standard 72mhz transmitters? Anyone know if that hellcat is made out of thin foam and in a sense "folded" into the plane or like a blosck that is cut to shape?
Old Dec 22, 2005, 09:36 PM
Saskatoon, Canada
Joined Jan 2003
2,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xurifle06
That little hellcat is one of the coolest things ive ever seen. Is there any radio gear out there that will work with standard 72mhz transmitters? Anyone know if that hellcat is made out of thin foam and in a sense "folded" into the plane or like a blosck that is cut to shape?
Yeah, it's really something special - thanks to Joe Malinchak!

The Plantraco Micro9 receivers are 900Mhz, but you can plug in a Buddy Box Transmitter into your regular 72Mhz transmitter, which converts it to 900Mhz, and have all the benefits of your regular transmitter, and all the benefits of our 900Mhz R/C system. The 1/72 Hellcat can be piloted very nicely with the HFX900 transmitter.

Joe is working on this and has built some from wall foam, and with molded foam using some interesting techniques. It is hoped that this will be a RTF - but not much can be said about it other than what you have seen at NIRAC and the NEAT, but of course I can understand the interest in this.
Plantraco is offline Find More Posts by Plantraco
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 23, 2005, 03:54 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2 Posts
How makes the fuselage
fishfu is offline Find More Posts by fishfu
Old Dec 23, 2005, 08:23 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantraco
Yeah, it's really something special - thanks to Joe Malinchak!

The Plantraco Micro9 receivers are 900Mhz, but you can plug in a Buddy Box Transmitter into your regular 72Mhz transmitter, which converts it to 900Mhz, and have all the benefits of your regular transmitter, and all the benefits of our 900Mhz R/C system. The 1/72 Hellcat can be piloted very nicely with the HFX900 transmitter.

Joe is working on this and has built some from wall foam, and with molded foam using some interesting techniques. It is hoped that this will be a RTF - but not much can be said about it other than what you have seen at NIRAC and the NEAT, but of course I can understand the interest in this.
Sorry to hear that it is being developed as a RTF. Given the time it is taking to develop the Quick Junior clone, it may be "late" for next Christmas. As you've found out, building a flyable plane is one thing. but, getting the results to duplicate regularly and documentation is quite another. I can't imagine the work that goes into attempting to make a RTF "idiot proof".

So, is the correct assumption that Joe is working with Plantraco on this project and that we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for a kit from another source??
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Dec 25, 2005, 01:34 AM
Micro-Scale-Modeler
Charlotte, North Carolina USA
Joined Nov 2004
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xurifle06
I read and heard somewhere that joe malinchak's little 1/72 scale hellcat was going to be kitted. Does anyone known when this i planned to come out? If not are there any plans out there? Thanks a lot
Hello - 1/48" Helldiver - 1/72" HellCat please check out my construction techniques at the following thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452120.
Here's a pre-view - Any aircraft modeled in plastic can be used as a mold. Plus you have a canopy, and decals in the plastic kit. I used a 1/48" scale SB2C-4 plastic model kit for the HellDiver, and a 1/72" scale plastic kit for the HellCat. You simply use the parts as molds - I used 2mm Depron sheet - heated the sheet with a hot air gun (monokote heat gun) then layed/pressed the sheet against the fuselage/or wing/ or tail surfaces to outline the model - then cut out the Depron parts - glue fus halves at the bottom with foam CA, and wrap it up- glue top of fus - fabricate formers from wall foam or balsa add radio, and actuators viola!. Try different models - My next a 1/72" P-40, then a 1/48" P-47 - later maybe a 1/72" B-25. Who needs kits. Steve
macquen is offline Find More Posts by macquen
Old Dec 25, 2005, 07:33 AM
Joined Aug 2005
64 Posts
those both look great. im going to have to give it a try, thanks for te help!
Old Dec 25, 2005, 03:18 PM
Carbondale PA
Joined Aug 2005
513 Posts
I built my first 1/72 scale micro F6F Hellcat almost two years ago out of wall foam. The model used the Gasparin G2.6 CO2 motor and could fly for up to 2 minuets on a charge. I also built an electric version that flew so well I decided to work on a production version. I can't release all of the details of the project or the release time, but I can tell you that it will be a professionally molded beautiful foam RTF model. The model will use the Plantraco system and is very easy to fly. I have been getting 5 to 8 minuets flight time with a 30 Li-poly cell. I would also like to have it available as a kit. Thanks, Joe Malinchak.
Joe Malinchak is offline Find More Posts by Joe Malinchak
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Micro Laser 3D