HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:17 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Another idea as alternative for plywood. Use epoxy board. This is very strong material. So strong that it destoys your saws and drills...
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:50 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,745 Posts
Well, finished my PTIIXL this past week and maidened today. Flew good, but definatly like rudder in the turns, which I have a bad habit of not doing. I will probably end up mixing it into my radio and cheating a little.

I couldnt get it to taxi in the water. The wing floats kept dipping into the water. I need to revamp them.

Looked great in the air. It now deserves some paint.

After that I can mark it off my list and add either the drake or another polaris to my list. I like seaplanes...
Derek_S is online now Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Derek_S; Nov 26, 2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2010, 04:59 PM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
Another idea as alternative for plywood. Use epoxy board. This is very strong material. So strong that it destoys your saws and drills...
I googled it. where would I find some of a suitable size for our purposes? Most of it looks large, obviously for surfboards..
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:06 AM
Kampen, the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
79 Posts
Hi there Derek...

Any chance of showing us a video of your PTIIXL ?
regards Gert
dniweerf is offline Find More Posts by dniweerf
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:16 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
I googled it. where would I find some of a suitable size for our purposes? Most of it looks large, obviously for surfboards..
You're right, on the internet difficult to find. I just got some pieces from my colleague. It is used for making circuit boards, so most companies will buy in large quantities.

See this:
http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch...ate-sheet.html

But 200 kg minimum order.... is a bit too much...

I will check where I can find lower volumes. Strange that this material is not popular in RC, because it is really strong and durable. It's a bit heavy, but because it is so stong you only need to use thin pieces and on critical parts (motor mounts, gears, levers, etc).
Old Nov 27, 2010, 02:20 AM
Kampen, the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
79 Posts
just buy the material that is used to make PCB's yourself ! Just etch off the copper, and your good to go !

I did it several times, and works great..

Gert
dniweerf is offline Find More Posts by dniweerf
Old Nov 27, 2010, 04:19 AM
e-powered foam
swiss watch makers area
Joined Dec 2002
812 Posts
HI

Believe you will find what you're looking for googling for G-10 or G 10

regards

rawy
rawy is offline Find More Posts by rawy
Old Nov 27, 2010, 06:51 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dniweerf View Post
Hi there Derek...

Any chance of showing us a video of your PTIIXL ?
regards Gert
Sorry, I couldnt get a video since I was soloing. Pics would be the best I could do.. ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2010, 07:56 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
You're right, on the internet difficult to find. I just got some pieces from my colleague. It is used for making circuit boards, so most companies will buy in large quantities.

See this:
http://www.alibaba.com/countrysearch...ate-sheet.html

But 200 kg minimum order.... is a bit too much...

I will check where I can find lower volumes. Strange that this material is not popular in RC, because it is really strong and durable. It's a bit heavy, but because it is so stong you only need to use thin pieces and on critical parts (motor mounts, gears, levers, etc).
Hav e you seen kydex? It is the plastic commonly used to make knife sheaths and gun holsters. It is a typically black plastic, and is available in different thicknesses for hobby sheath/holster building. I bought some of it in the past after reading that it was very durable, but easily formed under heat. I never got around to trying it but it may work as well if I can get the hinge pins to hold in it.

I really want to ge the amphibious thing working. It just has a great cool factor, plus at my dad's place there is a lake and a paved drive for nice landing variety.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2010, 08:02 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Interesting! No never seen. I might need something like that for the main gear.

I totally agree, I also want to have it amphibious. My front gear is nearly finished. I just have to pull / push a rod to activate the retract mechanism. So next stip is to make it automated. Will post some pictures soon. But consumes a lot of time. Aspecially finding the right materials and thinking about how to constuct it.

Will post some pics later.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:07 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,745 Posts
Yes, very tue. I found some air/pneumatic gear cylindars on HK and they are very cheap. I prefer electric actuation, but I am wondering if the pneu would be a good choice for wet applications...? It should operate well even if it gets damp.

I also think I could build the A arms from aluminum or anything, but the wheel rod/hub is what I am having trouble with. It needs to be tough, but a material that is able to hold the axle as well has hinge rods. Machining fom aluminum is the best choice probably, but I just havent had time to go to the machine shop and chop it out.

Please post your progress. maybe some back and forth brainstorming will yield some results.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:26 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Yes, very tue. I found some air/pneumatic gear cylindars on HK and they are very cheap. I prefer electric actuation, but I am wondering if the pneu would be a good choice for wet applications...? It should operate well even if it gets damp.

I also think I could build the A arms from aluminum or anything, but the wheel rod/hub is what I am having trouble with. It needs to be tough, but a material that is able to hold the axle as well has hinge rods. Machining fom aluminum is the best choice probably, but I just havent had time to go to the machine shop and chop it out.

Please post your progress. maybe some back and forth brainstorming will yield some results.
Good point, because I think I have found a very strong front wheel arm. It is suspended trailing link setup. It's a aluminum strip bent into an arm. But will make some pictures and schematics. I am editing some home video's, and during encoding I can make something .
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:36 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,745 Posts
I posted pics in my blog, but here is mine. Looks very typical. My favorite mod is the removeable windshield so I can get to the battery without removing the wings. The body has been 'glassed with tissue and WBPU as per Warhead's instructions. It looks good! The wings will be done later... Spent a good bit of time on the water yesterday with no apparent leaks throught the covering. Very happy with it, just time intensive compared to raw foam building

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2010, 09:54 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Looks nice! No dihidral as in the plans?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:13 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
I have attached a construction drawing. A 6 mm tube is fixed between 2 washers (note the M4 nut on one end, and the horizontal wheel axle with M4 thread on the other end). This 6 mm tube with the 2 washers form a plain bearing with the inside of the 8 mm tube. This allows steering, and this 8 mm tube is also the main support. I didn't draw the spring on the front between the steering lever and the wheel arm, but you will see it in the pictures I will post later.