SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:11 PM
Who Put that Tree There?
Athens, Tennessee
Joined Jun 2003
505 Posts
Looks good. I lost mine. Had a problem with the rx on take off. Not sure what happened though. Gonna rebuild. What a weekend
Steve
Krashlnd is offline Find More Posts by Krashlnd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2006, 02:24 AM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
Sorry about that

Complete loss or can you at least reuse the wing or tail or something?

This time, why not make a note in this thread of what you do differently having already built one before? Then it'll be a resource for first-time builders.

I'm expecting the last of the components in this week and then I've got a painful two week wait before I start my build.
alexeames is offline Find More Posts by alexeames
Old Jun 27, 2006, 05:03 AM
spread your wings and fly
heerhugowaard, netherlands
Joined Feb 2003
44 Posts
I've just started building the small version of the puddle twin and i've almost finisht the hull/fuselage but I have a problem when I'm going to build the wing. I have only 6mm depron that I just spend 3 days trying to take most of the paper of (it whas some sort of presentation board with adhesive paper on one side and normal paper on the other). It is almost impossible to find 3 mm depron here so I whas wondering if anybody has a id on how best to build the wing.

Thanks

Taco
Taco RC is offline Find More Posts by Taco RC
Old Jun 27, 2006, 08:14 AM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
What about either solid foam or a traditional balsa covered wing instead?

Or using 6mm depron but shape the ribs smaller to compensate?

Or just make it with a single 6mm undercambered wing?

Would it be cost prohibitve to get some 3mm depron from depronfoam.co.uk

If 3mm depron really is hard to get in the netherlands, why not distribute it yourself and buy a bulk pack for about 70 GBP from here...

depron.co.uk

Just a few ideas. hope one of them works for you.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:55 AM
Joined Feb 2003
44 Posts
Thanks I've thought about using a solid foam wing but I whas worried about the weight and we have only eps foam and you cant shape that thin enough. I think that balsa would be my best bet but that is harder to work with. I don't have enough 6mm depron to cover the whole wing i think and it might be to heavy. I'm worried that an undechamber wing will change the way it flies to much. But I'll take a look at that website and maybe I can buy some from there. Thanks again.

Taco
Old Jun 27, 2006, 09:59 AM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
OK, what about a 6mm top half and tape it shut, or use some kind of covering material to close it on the bottom? The 6mm with or without ribs will give it enough strength, closing it just to reduce the drag.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:13 AM
Joined Feb 2003
44 Posts
That's also a good id. I'll think about it some more.
thanks
Old Jul 01, 2006, 05:38 PM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
Guys,

How did you get the thrust angle right with the BP21 motors? Obviously in the design for speed 400, it's automatically right if you build the nacelles right and mount the motor to the plywood mounts.

How did you mount your BP21's? I got both stick mount and firewall mounts available. What's a good way to do it?
Last edited by alexeames; Jul 08, 2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 04:23 PM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
Bp21 mounting for Puddle Twin XL

OK, I'm assembling my Puddle Twin II. I've got the fuselage almost done. I'm using Gorilla glue for the external water-tight joins, but it's painfully slow compared to cyano or UHU Por. I think it will take me several more days to finish this plane .

So I've started on the wing too. Got the lower half of the three wing panels done. Waiting on the fuselage to do the top wing half. I'll have to route all the wires and mount the wing servos before I "close" the wings.

Now I'm on the nacelles and I'm still wondering how best to mount the BP21s. To get the same thrust angle as the suggested speed 400 brushed I'm thinking I can either put in an extra bulkhead in the nacelles, about 2.5 cm back from the front firewall, or I could put them externally on the front of the firewall that was meant for the speed 400's. I've got both firewall and aluminium stick mounts available.

Any of you guys care to share how you did it successfully? Do I need to be concerned about thrust angles with a twin?
Old Jul 18, 2006, 04:14 PM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
RANT - Getting p'ed off with this build

Rant on...

The fuselage goes together fine. Mounting the motors in the nacelles took some thought and time, but I got through it. Now I'm making the wing and it's a royal pain in the arse.

The bottom half went together fine, but I'm not using the foldover technique and that seems to have been a big mistake - except for the fact that I couldn't have put the larger sized depron in the suitcase I brought all the parts in.

I am so glad I brought the parts for a Cub, so I'd have something to fly while I made this one. It's taking so much longer than I thought it would. And nobody answers any questions in this thread either. (I know it's only a small section of a minority area, but I'm used to getting 5-10 answers the same day inthe EasyStar thread. Looks like I've gone from the most popular plane in the world to the least in one step.)

Sod it all. I bought a cheap heat gun (hair dryer wasn't hot enough) and melted the first piece of depron. Only one spare piece, so can't afford any more screwups. OK, so let's try gluing it without heat. UHU Por no good, breaks apart. Foam safe cyano and kicker no good either. Ahhhhhhhhh epoxy. Heavy, but it works - at a price. You have to hold the bloody wing together for 10 minutes while it sets and yo uhave to do this for sections of curve rather than all at once. So it takes forever to do the top skin of the wing.

Finished one section and then realised I'd forgotten to glue in the spar end.

It's a nice looking plane Roland, but I'm wondering if it's worth it. RTF sounds good to me right now.

...rant off.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 03:19 PM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
Stalled before finished

I've never before stalled a plane before it's even finished, but I've decided to stop building this one for the time being. I might come back to it later.

I need to do the wing again from scratch. The way I tried to do it doesn't really work. I don't have enough material with me to start over again and I've cooked one of the speed controllers I was going to use.

So I bought a GWS Corsair and I'm thoroughly enjoying that.

I'll probably come back to this one in future.
Old Sep 17, 2006, 05:18 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1 Posts
puddle twin wing!

is there a plan for the wing somewhere?
It's not getting nice from my own hands.
So roland, can you help me out here with a drawing en some dimensions?
Grtzz Quintijn
gti_killer is offline Find More Posts by gti_killer
Last edited by gti_killer; Sep 19, 2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:29 AM
Kampen, the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
79 Posts
Puddle twin 2 XL

As you might know Holland has a lot of water....so why not build a plane for it !
I also started to build a Puddle twin 2 XL

Update so far..
Printed A-4 - cutted - taped - cutted gain - marked it on the Depron - and cutted it roughly.

Update
The ribs for the wingparts are ready, now cutting the rest of the parts.

Update - 27 jan 2009
Fusilage and wings are almost ready, Only have to mount/glue the engine gondels, and paint the whole thing...

Gert / Freewind
dniweerf is offline Find More Posts by dniweerf
Last edited by dniweerf; Jan 27, 2009 at 12:08 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 01:59 PM
Kampen, the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
79 Posts
Maiden Puddle Twin II XL

Finaly the maiden of my Puddle Twin II XL was a fact !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZYCO2yur0I

I apologize for the sound, there was another member of my club who flew his gasoline chopper and there was a lot of wind...

Just to be sure, I left the floats off to land on grass...
They are mounted now so hopefully next saterday the weather's good, so I can take of from water...

This is a nice plane to fly, you can fly it slow and fast. and with this amount of power, take offs are verry simple.

A big "Danke Shon" to the designer of this beauty Roland Merk

We'll take more picture's to post them...

regards
Gert / Dniweerf
Old Feb 04, 2010, 01:56 PM
Kampen, the Netherlands
Joined Nov 2008
79 Posts
one year later, and still going strong !

I mounted my Flycameone II on top and made some nice picture's and video's last summer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLe77M-b0a0

regards Gert