HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:58 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavlo77 View Post
Thanks Ted for correcting, nacelles indeed. From now on I will carefully choose my words.... .

I will post an update soon.
It's a French word meaning, literally, "small boat" or sometimes "canoe". There are many aircraft features/components whose names come from the French. Fuselage, longeron, aileron, nacelle, etc., etc.

Oui, oui! Looking forward to your update.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:48 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
As promised another update. Nacelles are finished. Motor mount has some cooling vents to keep motor cool (mounted inside the nacelle), air escapes over the top of the wing.

Also the landing lights have clear plastic cover now.

I hoped to finish the wing this weekend, but still need to finish the nav lights covers, trailing edges of the wing tips and closing gaps in the skin joints.
mavlo77 is offline Find More Posts by mavlo77
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:00 AM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
669 Posts
@ mavlo77: step by step... Thanks for sharing the updates on your build... Excellent scratchbuilding weather now.
@ g550ted: Thanks for explanations. I'm never too old too learn as you might see in the next video
@warhead71: Any recent flying to share? Thanks for your building input and goose footage. In spite of a Saro being a seeplane I had never heard of it before.

Video:
Before this non scheduled flight we tested flippability in strong winds. First on shore, then in shallow water. All that went above expectation for a plane with 530 grams AUW and 118 cm span.
After that I just could not resist the temptation to give it a go. Taxiing backwards (with 1/4 throttle forward) to avoid crosswind went fine. Taking off too. And then starts an interesting struggle to bring it down again. This time I lost. Due to pilot error.
No damage. My PTII is gathering dust in the hangar now. Looking forward to line up with Mavlo his PTII.
Puddle Twin spirals in (4 min 7 sec)
ak68 is offline Find More Posts by ak68
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:30 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Nice job! Way windier than I would ever attempt a maiden flight. And obviously you didn't have enough air-speed to turn down-wind like that. The plane seemed to porpoise quite a bit... or maybe that was just turbulence. But overall a nice flight and I'm glad you got it down with no damage.

"The measure of a good pilot is to know when it's too windy to fly".
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:18 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Thanks AK68, I also can't wait to line up with your nice PT2!

@warhead_71: the wind was quite gusty. So much that I decided to not fly my Polaris (it would flip over on the water immediately) and just witness AK68's flight. Until the crash AK68 had absolutely good control over his PT2 considering conditions and the low weight of his PT2. But then there was a slight misjudgment in the airspeed and also possibly the effect of turbulence from the reeds. Normally no problem if you are a couple of mistakes high... But in this case too late and he was punished immediately... But fortunately no damage.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:31 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
I'd love to see someone make one of these with retracting wingtip floats like a PBY. And it seems perfectly suited to make a scale cockpit with windows and a pilot and mount a camera inside for great in-flight footage or even FPV off the water.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:37 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Yes retracting floats would be nice. But with my retracting landing gear I am getting too heavy already....

But yes I am planning windows and some interior and make a position to film from inside...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:10 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
And another update. Added some color to the nacelles, navigation light covers and finished the wing tips flush and round with an extra end plate.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:46 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,739 Posts
It keeps looking better and better. Now, how about some pictures of the progress on the fuselage. Git to cracking!

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:56 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
283 Posts
Nice touches Mavlo but let me pop THE question, when do you think that your lovely bird will going to actually fly ? I think you have a Iron patience to work for so many month's....
serjuro is offline Find More Posts by serjuro
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:45 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Thanks! Yes that THE question... As long as the weather is cold and windy, it's easier to be patient and keep building. Actually I just see the building process as a part of the fun. It is sitting on the shelf most of the time, and when I find some time I make some progress. In the meanwhile I have time to think about on how to solve specific construction issues.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:38 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
Some more progress. I did the first engine run-up today. Unfortunately not completely succesful. A lot of vibrations, due to not very well centered collet propeller adapters. Found another adapter, and this one was running smoothly. Unfortunately only one piece in my inventory, so I need to find a second one. But lot's of power from a single 9" prop.

Then I finished the wing-fuse mount.

See below for pictures with planned main gear location. This way there is only a light load on the front wheel and it will automatically recover from a tail strike.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 03:33 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Oct 2008
1,224 Posts
It has been quiet for a while here. Anyone working on the PT2 XL still?

I am now struggeling with the main landing gear. I made the system with the legs etc... Working quite nicely. But now the actuating system.... Any advice is appreciated! As you can see in the last picture, there is not too much space. I consider some options (like the Ivan Pettigrew method, found in dedicated thread in this forum).
Old May 07, 2013, 04:13 PM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
669 Posts
Any PTII's flying anywhere?
Here some recent pic's. I might post a video later. My weekly limit is just exceeded.
ak68 is offline Find More Posts by ak68
Old May 07, 2013, 08:24 PM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
691 Posts
Yup, my PTIIXL is still flying well. I've just replaced the port motor as it had an annoying niosy bearing. She flies better than new now. I have had her on wheels since I completed the build, but now that my local lake is about to fill up for the seaon I am planning to seal her up tight and convert her to the original seaplane design.

I did have a few issues with the glue holding on the top skin of the wing. The skin came away from the ribs and made life very difficult. It was actually a bit hard to spot the problem as the delamination was hidden by the ailerons. The first I know about it was that the ailerons were binding. Anyway, shes all patched up now and back in the skys.
Wormboy is offline Find More Posts by Wormboy