263 Posts

hiol
serjuro is offline Find More Posts by serjuro
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:46 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
263 Posts
dtydt

The crash.......... and a short FPV onboard movie ....
Grumman Widgeon RC (10 min 8 sec)
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:10 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
327 Posts
Oh, those pics are painful to see! The video was nice, though.

The damage looks pretty extensive; will you rebuild? If you do, I would suggest incorporating a monoblock... It adds some weight, but seems to be much more robust than a pure built-up fuse. It might not be necdssary for you, but for a pilot like me -- with one in three "landings" being nose-first into the ground -- the extra weight is a small penalty to pay.
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:52 PM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
478 Posts
Wow serjuro: your pictures do tell a bit of a story. Good and bad news. You have been doing a lot of work since last post. Nice build for FPV platform! Thanks for sharing your photos.
Is it somewhere in Transsylvania you fly from?
The wing looks still OK. The rest hurts. Will you rebuild the puddle fuse or make a wheeled version? Did you fly from water at all? Water gives less dents for small crashes as i found out recently. I decided not to fix the wing with screws for the time being but with (ugly looking) rubber bands. This allows the wing to slide away when crashing rather than tearing the whole fuse apart.
Very nice open space to fly there. No planegrabbing trees around. I feel sorry for your spotlanding or should we say landingspot.

AK68
ak68 is online now Find More Posts by ak68
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:06 AM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
478 Posts
Proof of existance for another twin. Maiden video with crash landings.

@serjuro : Weird touchdowns are not limited to Romania as you can see here.

@mavlo77: thanks for directions, encouraging and observing. Thumbs up.
@wormboy: How was your weekend?

tipping twin twice (puddle twin maiden) (5 min 1 sec)

In the meantime decals, hatch and front window have been finished. Also securing studs against sideshifting wing are glued in.
Lets go practice landings then....

AK68
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:55 AM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
478 Posts
And some pictures with front window (hatch) installed.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 04:01 AM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
478 Posts
and 2 more. Venting slots above front window for ESC cooling. Outlet behind rear windows.
Last edited by ak68; Aug 18, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
263 Posts
Nice work everyone, thanks for apreciation....
Yes, I live and fly in Transilvania...........LOL.
The crash was happened because I loose RC control due the incopatibility between RC link(2.4Ghz) and the video Link wich works on 1.2Gz and this video TX has a ,,second harmonic'' wich interfyires with 2.4Ghz. Neverteless a ,,low pass'' filter is available for it to screw on the video TX ouput, to cancel those harmonics......or you have to place further apart the RC and video equipment......

BEcause the bimotor was a GREAT flier, very smooth, powerful and gentle, I was thinking for some time to rebuild it. My concerns are that because my design is very modified from the original, the build is not so simple and is time consuming......
Anyway, I will rethink the plans and make it a little sturdier and maybe easier......

PS the main wing is also damaged because both spars are broken, I don't know if I will able to rebuild it....
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:05 PM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
2,758 Posts
I agree about the fragility of the construction. I lost my Puddle Twin after a light nose-in with a snowbank. There were too many cracks and broken pieces internally in both wing and fuselage 3mm foam to make it worthwhile to repair. There often is no clear or easy way to fix after even a light crash. It does depend on the flexibility of the foam and whether it was covered or not.

I now cover my planes with paper and use relatively thick foam for plating (8mm). This construction withstands a lot of abuse without damage, and is usually repairable in a more serious accident.

I also use solid core wings - paper covered. These don't need a spar, saving that weight, and so coming out close to designed wing. My planes are a little heavier, but still very light weight by normal standards.
vtdiy is online now Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:14 AM
Romania, Europe
Joined Aug 2009
263 Posts
@vtdiy..............pictures, picture, where are them ?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:18 AM
low tech high tech
Southern Vermont
Joined Feb 2007
2,758 Posts
serjuro, my older Puddle Twin is in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=677376

I never built a second one, but might in the future build one of the 2X size versions with the construction I mentioned.

My newer waterplane is a semi scale Grumman Goose. I didn't increase foam thickness on fuselage, but did cover in paper, and also built a solid core wing. It is not completed yet. Thread and pics here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...an+goos&page=7

Here is a thread on paper covering:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1552848

And here is a thread on a plane I scratch built using 8mm foam for fuselage, covered with paper and solid core paper covered wings with no spar:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=fomambo

That's a large boxy plane, but still came out very light weight for it's wing area, and is extremely tough. It cartwheeled once with no damage at all.
vtdiy is online now Find More Posts by vtdiy
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:01 PM
uk/england
Joined Jun 2008
341 Posts
Wing foam

Hi ak68
like the way your twin flys
did u use 6mm depron for the wing skins?
i:e- reduce the rib thickness accordingly

looking good
Iain
The SKY MAN is offline Find More Posts by The SKY MAN
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:34 PM
Nederland, ZH
Joined Dec 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SKY MAN View Post
Hi ak68
like the way your twin flys
did u use 6mm depron for the wing skins?
i:e- reduce the rib thickness accordingly

looking good
Iain
Hello Skyman,
Thanks for watching, It was a positive surprise for me too. Especially the taxiing and getting on the step. Little aileron input to choose which sponsoon to dip in while rounding the fast corners. Tracking well. Limited water rudder (flush with fuse) to avoid picking up algea or waterplants. There is even a little 2mm dia aluminum horizontal pin sticking out of the rear fuse until under the rudder to close the gap. Works well.
I have to keep the speed a bit up while landing as you noticed in the video. Or flare less!
The wing skins are 3 mm covered with tape on LE before bending. Spar is 1 meter 3*1 mm CF strip sandwitched between two 6mm strips. I did cut the ribs i n two and glued them either side of the spar. So my wing chord could be 12 mm more then drawings. Who cares. Initial wingskin oversized and cut to size in the process.

AK68
Old Aug 21, 2012, 02:41 AM
uk/england
Joined Jun 2008
341 Posts
soon 2 b

Well just cut all the formers ribs that i could with the 6mm depron i had lying around will pick up some 3mm and more 6mm tonight so i should have all required bits shortly.
Emax-2822/1200
2200/3300mah 3s lipos
18A esc
servos in post
counter rotating props 8x4
don't know what v-tail mixer everyone is using as i heard there are some rubbish ones out there, so more questions???? anyone!
The SKY MAN is offline Find More Posts by The SKY MAN