HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2002, 12:56 PM
Winchester, Kentucky
Joined Feb 2000
34 Posts
Sig Tri-Star

Anyone have any experience with this plane? I've scratch built one over the winter and tried to put the maiden on it last Sat (6/1/02). Currently it is powered with 8 1700's, 19 Turn Car Motor geared 3:1 with a Great Planes gear box. Turning a 10x7 prop. I mainly spent the day taxiing around trying to get comfortable with the steering interlinked with the ailerons rather than a rudder. It was not easy. Preliminary figures through P-Calc indicate that it should have ample power to fly, I don't know. The main problem I have was trying to get the plane to track straight. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Mark
Ryker is offline Find More Posts by Ryker
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2002, 06:33 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,935 Posts
I've seen a couple of attempts at electrifying this one over the years. Most successful one was by Russ Tront (try looking for him in the Helicopter forum). A challenging subject to make work right.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Dec 27, 2003, 01:36 AM
Joined Dec 2003
27 Posts
I recently picked up a Tri Star at my LHS, built by another member of the local club. I've got an old OS fp25 on it (pretty heavy), and without knowing the proper CG, attempted a quick maiden...

I hadn't planned on even flying it much, just seeing if it would lift off easily. Well, it went shooting accross the runway at 2/3 throttle. I steadily applied up elevator. About 4-6 seconds later, it suddenly shot straight up, fell off to one side, and then tumbled to the pavement. Mysteriously, the engine was still running, and only minor damage upon inspection. The cannard broke loose, heh, some epoxy will take care of that.

I recently came accross another Tri Star owner, on another forrum: http://www.rcuniverse.com/
Do a search there,there are a few posts about it, and one reply to my CG question...
BMGBeetle is offline Find More Posts by BMGBeetle
Last edited by BMGBeetle; Dec 27, 2003 at 01:40 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:05 AM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
Since your going brushed, I'd look into a hotter motor, 11 turns possibly with either a 2 or 2.5:1 gearbox, or direct on 8X4 prop. You now have the advantage of lighter batteries since when this plane first came out, you only need 6 KAN 1950s, pack should on weigh around 7 ounces. HS-81 MG servos are fine for this plane. I don't know what your entire set-up is, but this plane isn't very sturdy. For that reason, I'd go with micro servos over standard, KAN 1950 cells, aluminum main gear and Dave Brown lite wheels. You should be able to get it to fly under 40 ounces.
Here's a link to my latest version.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=tri+star
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM
Old Dec 28, 2003, 04:18 PM
Baptised Heathen
Bundaberg, Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2002
1,365 Posts
I built one a few years ago, when I was fying slimer, but it only lasted one flight. Beware the hatch attachment. I did a loop and at the top I saw something depart the plane. It happened to be the rx battery. The loop ended vertically into the ground. Never found the battery and the only thing to survive the "landing" was the wing. As for the tracking, are you sure you are using a strong enough servo?
batman is offline Find More Posts by batman
Old Dec 28, 2003, 04:57 PM
IAD
UAV Driver
New England, USA
Joined Nov 2002
3,737 Posts
In re: tracking. Make sure that the toe-in* of the tipsails (I hope I am thinking of the right plane... ) is symetrical. I believe it should be set to about 4 deg..

Some discussion of this can be found here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=3
(I did end up going with the toe-in, and the plane had excellent tracking.)

~Luke

*Inward cant, looking from the top.
IAD is offline Find More Posts by IAD