SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:54 AM
All Thumbs
College Station Texas, Home of the Fightin Texas Aggies
Joined Dec 2005
193 Posts
Faster? Think I might have to rig up some training gear also then.
Rooney7783 is offline Find More Posts by Rooney7783
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2006, 08:54 AM
0 Carbon fp? don't breed!
www.dhrc.rchomepage.com Gloucester/Cheltenham Gloucester, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Oct 2004
2,161 Posts
> This model is not a clone but borrows design concepts from others
Mmm interesting philosophy.

A few parts related questions:
Does the VNR3D share parts with H2, X-3D at reasonable prices?
For example, is '[VENF7718] Aluminium Head Block' Hornet compatible?
What size is the main shaft and blade grip to head bolts?
Does [VENF7717] Main Blade Grips include brearing? How many?

> The tail on the VNR3D is completely steady, and does not swing with throttle changes
> (I believe that they are mixing tail rotor with throttle in the transmitter).
I was wondering how you are not noticing prop lag when punching the collective. Seems a shame that you have a lively CP main rotor with the restrictions of a mini tail motor. Simpler to setup up yes.

Hornet X 3D Twister(Axi 2208/20, Tsunami), MS-116 ESC, MS-044 gyro, KOK Extréme white blades, 3xTP1320 prolites ~15mins, AUW=375g. Futaba7C
DarkHorse is offline Find More Posts by DarkHorse
Last edited by DarkHorse; Jan 11, 2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 12:37 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,337 Posts
Darkhorse,

Are you the same Darkhorse that assisted me on the Hornet Forum?

I punched the throttle this morning, and the tail did not swing. I don't think I made any unconsciuos rudder control inputs.

The tail motor on this thing is surprisingly good. I have been piroutting all over the place-the VNR3D has good tail authority left and right. I have finally gotten used to seeing the tail rotor slow down and, occasionally, stop briefly when applying hard left rudder.

On my gas helicopters, seeing this happen was a sign of imminant disaster, here it is normal.

I do not know what, if any, parts might be interchangeable with the Hornet, as I do not have one yet to examine. I think that would be quite interesting.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Jan 11, 2006, 02:11 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse
> This model is not a clone but borrows design concepts from others
Mmm interesting philosophy.

A few parts related questions:
Does the VNR3D share parts with H2, X-3D at reasonable prices?
For example, is '[VENF7718] Aluminium Head Block' Hornet compatible?
What size is the main shaft and blade grip to head bolts?
Does [VENF7717] Main Blade Grips include brearing? How many?

> The tail on the VNR3D is completely steady, and does not swing with throttle changes
> (I believe that they are mixing tail rotor with throttle in the transmitter).
I was wondering how you are not noticing prop lag when punching the collective. Seems a shame that you have a lively CP main rotor with the restrictions of a mini tail motor. Simpler to setup up yes.

Hornet X 3D Twister(Axi 2208/20, Tsunami), MS-116 ESC, MS-044 gyro, KOK Extréme white blades, 3xTP1320 prolites ~15mins, AUW=375g. Futaba7C
What I meant by that is you cannot just bolt on other companies parts without some modification therefore its not a clone/copy. Yes the parts are similar to other companies so indeed it borrows design concepts. The Hornet II has some parts that will work and others you would have to modify something in order to get to work. The blade grips for example are longer, which supports the blade more, on the VNR3D and so the pivot hole on the blade root is further out. You cant use our blades on other grips w/o drilling the holes again or shortening the root tip. The root thickness is the same, about 4.6mm. . I know the MS swashplate antirotation arm is too short to work on the VNR3D. Cant say if the MS headblock will just bolt on but at a glance it looks like it can work but you would have to use MS parts from there out. The main shaft dia. is 3mm. The grip bolts are 2.5mm. The grips come with 2 bearings each.
If you just replace the head assembly with parts from another company that dosnt make this model a clone/copy either. Taking another companies parts that directly replace the existing parts of your model would be a clone/copy.

The tail motor is more powerful than what has been used before by other companies. This was one of my chief concerns when we designed this model. The radio programming took many months to get the bugs out so it would mix well. This and the motor turned out to be a good combo. If it had a driven tail the price point would be higher, more complex, and so on. For its class I think it does fine, its not meant to go out and beat T-REX's and Shoguns.

Chris
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Jan 11, 2006, 03:28 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,161 Posts
Hi Al_Clem, yes I go by the same name on all these different forums.

Thanks, I might order an Ali head set and have a play.

Awaiting some new video of these birds in action.

Happy flights
Old Jan 11, 2006, 03:32 PM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
I think Darkhorse and I are watching and wondering if perhaps the venom parts could replace the expensive MSC parts err on a H2 not the other way around . Like maybe from the swash up etc.

I suspect we'll know soon, Know where there are any parts available? A bare bones would be bought quickly!
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144
Last edited by swatson144; Jan 11, 2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 03:40 PM
Joined Oct 2004
2,161 Posts
Oh man, you read my wallet, I mean mind.
There is a fair selection online at www.modelflight.com.au
Old Jan 11, 2006, 03:49 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,343 Posts
If thats the case then when we release our parts just get them all and use them on the Hornet. You will have to sort out the distance between the swash and headblock and decide if the MS shaft will be the right length etc. and you will have to do something about the anti-rotation arm too. You can use part #7714 to replace the links also.
Our parts prices will be very competitive to whats on the market, keeping in the tradition of affordable performance the VNR3D does so well.

Chris
Old Jan 11, 2006, 04:00 PM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
I just found a potential local source for the RTF. Is there a bare bones available or coming?

Here I go frankenflying again! If I put a VNR 3d head on my belt drive modded H2 then what would I call it? Belted Venomous Hornet?

I see the CF blades are 30$ which are 20$ less than MS. Sure would be nice to have a H2 that the blades would fold on.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 04:12 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,343 Posts
No bare bones chassis on the horizon.

Your BVH would rock and for the cost of the parts you can build 2! LOL

I'll see if I can post a shot of the CF blades as a teaser, they are beautiful. Wait til you see the night blades! They should be here any day now.

Chris
Old Jan 11, 2006, 05:09 PM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
Looks like I'm getting one tomorrow, or ordering it if I can't lay hands on one.

For curiosity will it work with a Futaba 9CHP neg shift? Would be nice.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 05:33 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,343 Posts
Negative,

Our radio is proprietary so it will not work with any of the popular brands, Im sorry, I wish it did too, I have a 9303 I would love to use on it.

Please preflight your kit when you get it, I know you will enjoy it.

Chris
Old Jan 11, 2006, 06:44 PM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
Bummer. I guess I'll wait on the parts. Local in stock for 250$. I'd have to pick one up tomorrow for experimenting but I've vowed long ago to avoid buying proprietary.

Thank you very much for the help and I am looking forward to parts availability.

Steve
Old Jan 11, 2006, 07:18 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,343 Posts
Can I ask why?
If you have the equipment already you could refit the VNR3D to your radio.

Chris
Old Jan 11, 2006, 09:07 PM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
Well you asked... I don't want to hijack so if the owner of this thread wants I'll gladly delete.

Proprietary is a huge step backwards. We can plug an airtronics servo into a futab rx and run it on a hitec radio today and not even think about changing connectors. Good thing. If a component is changed it goes in the "box" and awaits a later life.

I could buy a RTF tomorrow and remove the gear, replace it with stuff from the "box" and fly. The gear I removed would have to go in the "other box" having discarded stuff from the "other box" before (or given it away for lack of ability to test) I'd as soon not do it again.

The versatility just isn't there. If I find out the parts fit the H2s I'd be happy , though a 250$ (full RTF price) H2 head is even beyond MS pricing but I'd make out in the long run. If I found the parts didn't fit I'd have to fly it with a OEM radio which wouldn't have the same configurability I'd have on my radio. I'd give about a 70$ credit on the head though, which would mean the parts in the "other box" owed me about 180$

The only proprietary gear I know of currently is walkera. I have been unimpressed with their electronics in the past (see "other box"). I may be wrong but that makes me skittish.

I'd still buy a BB just to hang the gear on and see but I don't consider the RTF proprietary components to add to the value.

Sorry but these are my opions. I try to only care and feed 3 helis at a time and I have 4 fliers now and some others that should be considered helis. so hey I'm fighting an addiction and may be that has something to do with my outlook .

Thanks again for your time, if I was mean or wrongly biased, or just wrong, Please correct me.

Steve