HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2006, 08:23 AM
Joined Jan 2006
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juli Adcock
Hey Dennis, Congrats on all the successful flights! I'm in the process of going through everything and loctiting it. I replaced one of the blade grips, replaced the bent tail boom ( hubby had to do the soldering, my hands shake too much! lol) and I'm currently working on replacing the seesaw. I'm going to do the washer thing too ( if they'll fit, mine seems pretty snug in there), since I've got everything apart. I'm still not sure what part you melted together. I'll go back and reread it a few more times to see if it starts to sink in. My pitch gauge came in, so I'll be double checking the pitch while I'm at it. I'm hoping that I'll have the bird back together this afternoon, although I probably won't get it flying til this evening after the Super Bowl is over. I am really getting a kick out of learning to do the repairs myself. This is the first time I've done repairs to something more complex than an oil change or hooking up computers. I look at it as sort of a "bonding" time with my heli, lol. I'm really tickled that I'm actually taking things apart and getting them back together with no extra parts left over and everything in the same place as the picture. Oh, and now I have the safety sheet down as well as a super magnet for parts going AWOL.
P.S. I do know that I have to keep the magnet away from the heli's electronics, and hubby didn't have to tell me! lol

I think alot of people re-soider the tail motors, not sure if this is the easiest way, but I take the JST plugs apart then put em back together.
BOING is offline Find More Posts by BOING
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2006, 08:47 AM
Roswell, NM
Joined Jan 2006
21 Posts
Hi Boing,
I didn't think of that, of course, I'm not sure if I could have gotten them back together after I took them apart! lol
Juli Adcock is offline Find More Posts by Juli Adcock
Old Feb 05, 2006, 10:50 AM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
11,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iishort86
problems? i still think it's more pilot error than a "cheap" $219 heli.. if you're having problems you should seek help like i did. i understand some people are not as lucky as i am and thats too bad. these things are a hell lot easier to fly when you have everything down correctly. id say impossible if things are not set correctly.
**REMOVED**
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Last edited by kbooth; Feb 05, 2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2006, 02:21 PM
Account CLosed
Red Bluff, California
Joined Jan 2006
336 Posts
Hi Julie, Sounds like your having lots of fun too. Yaeeeeeeeeee !!! Arn't these heli's the coolest ??? OK, you'll see that the see saw comes dissassembled, and you have to put the little arms on it yourself. You slide the arm onto the post, then take the little round retainer and slide it on, then you take a soldering iron and melt the end of the stud down to hold the retainer on. Just smush it down and it will spread out and hold it on. Well, you want to make sure that the arm and retainer are on all the way so the arm can pivot, but not wiggle, or slide in and out on the shaft at all. Just make sure it's held back all the way. If it has any side to side play, it will have the same effect as freeplay in the steering on your car. That makes a heli uncontrollable for a non pro, but im sure a pro would say, "it sure is a squirrly mutha" LOL Also, if the fit between the control tray and the see saw is close, don't bother with the washers. Mine was real loose. Back and forth movement of like 1/16" !!! I had to tighten that up... anyway, I have no movement now, and the see saw arms are nice and tight, and it flies alot easier. Only a seasoned pilot could control it before, now I can hoover it easy. I guess theres no room for slop in a helicopter... Dennis
Dennis Flora is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Flora
Old Feb 05, 2006, 02:52 PM
justa slave to the rhythm
Joined Jan 2006
135 Posts
Thanks Dennis,
I was wondering what you were refering to when talking about the soldering. I kept going back and forth from the posts to the explode.LOL I haven't had to replace mine yet, but I think I'm gonna have to fix the slop on the tray. I didn't even notice it until you reported it for us! Thanks man. My main prob now is trying to get the pzt, plt, and the collective set. I adjusted the pitch a couple of days ago and it just hasn't been the same. Now... I don't have a pitch guage just yet, so my deg may vary slightly, but I do have a couple of drafting squares and a compass on a level table. Before I moved anything, I took note of where the blades where, they had about 5 deg in them 0-50% stick, then moved to 10 deg 50-100% stick. I read it was supposed to be half of that, so I moved them to where CofG stated and put her back together. Now, the thing runs up faster and smoother which is great, but I hardly have any collective authority. I'm about 90% stick to hold hover, and easily hit full throttle many times during flight.(makes me get all "puckered"!) I think it may also have to do with my big-a$$ training-gear! I'm gonna take it off and try that, if I can build up the nerve.
Trey
bluesjunky57 is offline Find More Posts by bluesjunky57
Old Feb 05, 2006, 04:27 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juli Adcock
HI'm currently working on replacing the seesaw. I'm going to do the washer thing too ( if they'll fit, mine seems pretty snug in there), since I've got everything apart. I'm still not sure what part you melted together.

Juli,
The melting Dennis is referring to is on the See Saw. The little plastic rings that hold the mixing arms to the see saw with are what he's referring to. Put on the arm, then the little plastic donut, then using a soldering iron to melt the end of that post to create almost a "rivet" I try to melt it enough that I melt a little bit of the washer itself.

This is safer than glueing as you do not run the risk of having glue run into the arm itself and locking it in place. All the helis we send out that we have repaired get done in this manner.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is online now Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 05, 2006, 04:33 PM
Joined Feb 2006
3 Posts
ive spent like 150 in parts so far and im at the end of my rope. im gonna go back to racing cars...lol check out the for sale forum for an awesome deal on two night rangers
slimbo5 is offline Find More Posts by slimbo5
Old Feb 05, 2006, 04:51 PM
Joined Jan 2006
135 Posts
YAH, just had the first flight without the gear, still trying to nail down the pitch, but overall a smile ear to ear
Old Feb 05, 2006, 07:41 PM
Foam flies better
From Canadia and proud of it!
Joined Jan 2006
3,199 Posts
WOW. I leave the forum for two weeks and it expands to 50 pages, this forum is going to beat the blades someday {170 pages}. Makes me lagh at the preliminary comments that this thing is crap! Its going to be a while till I can afford this heli but am determined to get it. Probably will never finish reading the forum but oh well. So, does anyone know where to get a vid of this thing other that venoms web site, I checked the post earlier that had a lead to it but couldnt find it. Maybe somebody on the forum has one, hope to join you as soon as possible!
Fly Or Die is offline Find More Posts by Fly Or Die
Old Feb 05, 2006, 09:43 PM
Heligirl
N.J.
Joined Feb 2006
75 Posts
Hi Everybody,
I'm new in here I've been flying parkflyers for a couple of years and got my first heli for Christmas a Venom Rescue and my nr3d a month ago. My dad would only let me hover for the first week. I crashed it a few times...ok a bunch of times, but I'm pretty good at flying around now. I've put lots of time in on the sim and my dad said I can try going inverted this week (yey me) I'll let ya know how it goes.
I read All the posts right from the begining to here Ugh!! that was a lot of reading.

Dennis,
I told my dad about your seesaw and control tray fixes he went over mine and shimed it for me. Wow... what a difference I was soooo use to chasing it and now it just sits there...Cool
Well have a Happy Heli Day
Lacey
LaceyCopter is offline Find More Posts by LaceyCopter
Last edited by LaceyCopter; Feb 06, 2006 at 12:31 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2006, 09:58 PM
DJI SUPPORT / TESTING
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
11,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyCopter
Hi Everybody,
I'm new in here I've been flying parkflyers for a couple of years and got my first heli for Christmas a Venom Rescue and my nr3d a month ago. My dad would only let me hover for the first week. I crashed it a few times...ok a bunch of times, but I'm pretty good at flying around now. I've put lots of time in on the sim and my dad said I can try going inverted this week (yey me) I'll let ya know how it goes.
I read All the posts right from the begin to here Ugh!! that was a lot of reading.

Dennis,
I told my dad about your seesaw and control tray fixes he went over mine and shimed it for me. Wow... what a different I was soooo use to chasing it and now it just sits there...Cool
Well have a Happy Heli Day
Lacey
Damn I want to try this fix.... This might be the issue I have been having, I sure do hope so!
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Pilot App *BETA* Overview
Old Feb 05, 2006, 10:06 PM
Joined Jan 2006
135 Posts
Welcome Lacey,
wow, inverted after just a month? Jeez are you related to the szabo's? that's great, no that's badda$$ Keep us posted

Trey
Old Feb 05, 2006, 10:32 PM
NR2 & NR3D
Edwardsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
56 Posts
I flew mine inverted once... a big gust of wind...cost me about $60 LOL
Zap3267 is offline Find More Posts by Zap3267
Old Feb 05, 2006, 10:47 PM
Heligirl
N.J.
Joined Feb 2006
75 Posts
Bluesjunky57

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjunky57
Welcome Lacey,
wow, inverted after just a month? Jeez are you related to the szabo's? that's great, no that's badda$$ Keep us posted

Trey

Szabo? Who?? just kiddin... No not related, but my dad is a pretty good teacher (when i listen to him)

I've flown heli's before big ones (a 50 & 90) they are much easier.... the venoms are MINE.
Lacey
LaceyCopter is offline Find More Posts by LaceyCopter
Old Feb 05, 2006, 11:09 PM
Joined Jan 2006
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap3267
I flew mine inverted once... a big gust of wind...cost me about $60 LOL