HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2006, 09:42 PM
Account CLosed
Red Bluff, California
Joined Jan 2006
336 Posts
Well, it's a $219.00 helicopter, and it's made you know where... so of course it has some issues. I have read alot of posts, where people are having trouble with others too, as well as the Blade CP and other famous birds. I couldn't do much with the TX, but I did get rid of most of the clicking. I don't think we have a serious issue here. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some more hidden response in there we wern't getting, due to loose pots or something like that. And we cant lose the ratchet, we can only lighten it a little, so I wouldn't bother. I left mine alone too... The radio's are gunna do the job just fine.
I think you will be missing out if you don't keep the VNR3D. It's a fine unit.
Just check the 2 things I mentioned earlier reguarding the control tray and flybar, and fix as I stated if it's goofy like mine was, and you won't beleive how docile the VNR3D really is. It really is very nicely made. The manuf just overlooked a couple of simple yet obvious things. I wouldn't trade mine for 2 Blade CP's... As a matter of fact, im going into the living room right now for the indoor test. I can already tell you how it's going to go though... I went from hateing it to loving it, and the only difference was 2 little washers, and making sure the see saw arms are tight, and since the retainers are melted on, you simply need to use your soldering iron to fix it if their not on there good. You just don't want any side play in the arms. These little heli's are wonderful, and mine is NOT for sale. Those of you who are doing my mods right now, are in for the biggest surprize of your life !!! Your wickedy quick and hard to handle heli is going to be a docile as a pussy cat. I promise !!!
I want reports back from everyone after you do the test flight. Im off to hoover, and I will be back shortly. Yehaaaaaaaaa !!! LOL Dennis
Dennis Flora is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Flora
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2006, 09:47 PM
United States, CA, Big Bear
Joined Jan 2006
8,391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Flora
Well, it's a $219.00 helicopter, and it's made you know where... so of course it has some issues. I have read alot of posts, where people are having trouble with others too, as well as the Blade CP and other famous birds. I couldn't do much with the TX, but I did get rid of most of the clicking. I don't think we have a serious issue here. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't some more hidden response in there we wern't getting, due to loose pots or something like that. And we cant lose the ratchet, we can only lighten it a little, so I wouldn't bother. I left mine alone too... The radio's are gunna do the job just fine.
I think you will be missing out if you don't keep the VNR3D. It's a fine unit.
Just check the 2 things I mentioned earlier reguarding the control tray and flybar, and fix as I stated if it's goofy like mine was, and you won't beleive how docile the VNR3D really is. It really is very nicely made. The manuf just overlooked a couple of simple yet obvious things. I wouldn't trade mine for 2 Blade CP's... As a matter of fact, im going into the living room right now for the indoor test. I can already tell you how it's going to go though... I went from hateing it to loving it, and the only difference was 2 little washers, and making sure the see saw arms are tight, and since the retainers are melted on, you simply need to use your soldering iron to fix it if their not on there good. You just don't want any side play in the arms. These little heli's are wonderful, and mine is NOT for sale. Those of you who are doing my mods right now, are in for the biggest surprize of your life !!! Your wickedy quick and hard to handle heli is going to be a docile as a pussy cat. I promise !!!
I want reports back from everyone after you do the test flight. Im off to hoover, and I will be back shortly. Yehaaaaaaaaa !!! LOL Dennis

I will try your mods when my parts come in...I was just giving my $.02
blade strike is offline Find More Posts by blade strike
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Dji fpv hub
Old Feb 04, 2006, 10:29 PM
Account CLosed
Red Bluff, California
Joined Jan 2006
336 Posts
No problem Kbooth... Just got back from the living room. No damage to report for a change, but boy was I nervous !!! LOL I was surrounded by lots of furniture, and I felt in danger of hurting the heli again. I did the battery out though... When it gets about 4 feet above the floor, it is stable as a rock, and I am able to land it in the middle of the rug, no sweat, but I didn't do so well at lower levels. It's funny, outside I did better close to the ground, and about the same at higher elevations. I guess the turbulance off the blades does build up in a small room. and makes it kinda unstable, but get er up there a ways and she will just sit there for you. I'd have to say that it doesn't even feel like the same helicopter since the mods. I have never been able to hold this thing steady at any altitude before, and I certainly havn't gotten any better. The heli just got better... I can't wait until tomorrow. It's supposed to nice out, and I want some more of that sky. Im gunna bag the living room flights for a while though. A room full of furniture is no place for a beginner. I did get some nice hoovers goin in there, but all that furniture made me kinda nervous. The last thing I wanna do is smack the couch with a blade and break some more little parts. It was fun though, and it sure does fly differently now, but I have to use some comon sense on this one. Im still vibrating !!! Making this helicopter controllable for me has definently made my week, and I can't wait to take it out and really get use to it, then I will fly it in my room here, and this is smaller than the living room !!! I just need to get comfortable with it so im not so nervous. What a blast now !!! Dennis
Old Feb 04, 2006, 10:31 PM
Account CLosed
Red Bluff, California
Joined Jan 2006
336 Posts
By the way.... Yehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa !!! Im happy !!! LOL
Old Feb 04, 2006, 10:48 PM
Account CLosed
Red Bluff, California
Joined Jan 2006
336 Posts
Wow !!! 70 % !!! I guess only the pro's can fly these things if their not perfect. We need to let everyone know what the problems are asap. Their such easy fixes... I would love to try out a Blade CP for comparison. This is driving me nuts !!! They can't possibily fly any easier than my VNR3D does right now. Im turning into a heli junkie, and I don't even know how to fly one properly yet. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens over the next couple of months. These puppy's just came out, and Venom hasn't even had a chance to totally refine them yet .... A very happy Dennis
Old Feb 04, 2006, 10:48 PM
NR3D Owner
Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2006
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Flora
Well, it's a $219.00 helicopter, and it's made you know where... so of course it has some issues. I have read alot of posts, where people are having trouble with others too, as well as the Blade CP and other famous birds.

problems? i still think it's more pilot error than a "cheap" $219 heli.. if you're having problems you should seek help like i did. i understand some people are not as lucky as i am and thats too bad. these things are a hell lot easier to fly when you have everything down correctly. id say impossible if things are not set correctly.
iishort86 is offline Find More Posts by iishort86
Old Feb 04, 2006, 11:21 PM
NR2 & NR3D
Edwardsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
56 Posts
Im the one whose TX broke and crashed the heli but Venom sent me a new kit so I really can't complain. I spent all night tightening and tweaking mine and like dennis I can say this baby can hover anywhere rock steady. I do it in the house and for entertainment I ride the swash it is kind of like heli surfing LOL I haven't tried Dennis Mods yet but sound interesting.
Zap3267 is offline Find More Posts by Zap3267
Old Feb 04, 2006, 11:27 PM
NR2 & NR3D
Edwardsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
56 Posts
Dennis can you get a picture of your mods up?
Old Feb 04, 2006, 11:40 PM
Account CLosed
Red Bluff, California
Joined Jan 2006
336 Posts
Hey Zap, Right on man !!! Sounds like Venom takes care of business the way we like to see. Did you check to see if there was any gaps between the see saw and the control tray yet ? Mine had about 1/32" on each side when I centered it. Thats 1/16" total back and forth movement !!! Those washers took care of that... and see if your see saw arms are tight (no side to side).
Im really curious... Yours must be if it is real stable. I simply couldn't control mine before, but im a newbie to this heli stuff. Im convinced that gettin the slop out of the see saw arm made the real big difference. Im real happy that they took good care of you... Dennis
Old Feb 05, 2006, 01:55 AM
NR2 & NR3D
Edwardsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
56 Posts
Dennis Yeah mine would only allow barely 1 washer and it was tight as an nats @ss. However as you said I wasn't prepared for how tight that made it fly. Literally I think my mind was trained for the slop but aint much there now! I saw how you could say it flew like the sim, very crisp indeed. C & G try that out see what you think. I will check my buddies and see if it helps him out too. Im a bit nervous about melting anything and not quite sure I understand what you mean. I put a piece of velcro on the frame and now only use the rear rubber band for the battery sure makes changing it quicker. I used a wheel collar to hold the tail gear on. I glued a servo ball on the tail support bar (helps it to slide on the concrete floor) Put some tape on the blades to hold the guts of the blade in (oops I struck em against a desk) I don't recommend that one to anyone LOL
Old Feb 05, 2006, 02:24 AM
Account CLosed
Red Bluff, California
Joined Jan 2006
336 Posts
If it's flying better now, that's great, but if ya only have a washer on one side, the control tray wont be centered. That means the flybar paddels are not spinning in a perfect circle. I would remove the single washer, and try to find thinner ones. Im surprized you didn't say that it shakes now. Listen, I had trouble getting the 2nd washer in too, but I used a small screwdriver to pry the tray over enough to let the 2nd washer slide in. It still moves smoothly and easily, the control tray is centered with the head and main shaft, and it runs very smooth. Those blade grip washers are not all that thick, and the control tray will give a little with no harm. I suggest none or 2 washers only. These mechanisims need to be perfectly centered. If it's really tight with 1 washer, run no washers, until ya get thinner one's. Dennis
Old Feb 05, 2006, 03:47 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7 Posts
Hey dennis sounds like you had a good day flying. Keep it up soon well hear your flying upside down. I went out today to find a tail motor for my heli, but only found an e-flight motor and thought what the hek so i got it and then found out the nr3d pinion gear has 10t and the e-flight motor has 8t also i found that the e-flight motor has no tork at all so i went out and flyed it anyway after a lot of triming finley got it to fly good but had very little tail control its ok for now but dont wast your money getting one my parts are comming on wed. and the brushless too cant wait.

P/S got to love CA happy flying all
O_BOY is offline Find More Posts by O_BOY
Old Feb 05, 2006, 04:25 AM
Account CLosed
Red Bluff, California
Joined Jan 2006
336 Posts
O Boy, You had an interesting day too I see... Flying with little tail control ? That sounds kinda scary !!! On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with my tail rotor system, and im still flying with little tail control. LOL It's funny, I do so good on the simulator, but when I take the VNR3D up, for some reason, I get so nervous that I get confused, and can't manage the tail automatically, like on the simulator. It's probably because im so use to crashing it all the time, I dwell on probably crashing again, any second...
Now that my heli is easy to fly, I'd hate to crash because of nerves. LOL I went outside for a test flight in the wind and did great. I was actually hoovering several feet above the driveway, in a 5 mph wind, and did everything right. Then I went into the living room for a run, and couldn't keep track of the tail very well. I still managed to get some good, short hoovers in, but all that furniture made me real nervous. I wonder what they call the fear of crashing ? And how long it takes to overcome it ? LOL I hope ya get that motor issue straightened out. I hate being down... Best of luck to you on that... I'll cross my fingers for ya... Dennis (I flew without crashing !!!)
Old Feb 05, 2006, 07:08 AM
Joined Jan 2006
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjunky57
Hey BOING,
hows the new pack? what kind of connector didja get and solder? Then have you flown it/ like better?
Used the deans connectors, took a while, specially after I realized I soidered the male plug to the battery and the female to the battery lead. I had to redo it all, but it was worth it. Flew it with the new pack and crashed, I posted about it a few pages back, 100$ worth of damage. My fault, way to eager to see what the pack would do.. For the 30 seconds or less. It seemed like it had alot more power with the new pack.
BOING is offline Find More Posts by BOING
Last edited by BOING; Feb 05, 2006 at 07:21 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2006, 07:20 AM
Roswell, NM
Joined Jan 2006
21 Posts
Hey Dennis, Congrats on all the successful flights! I'm in the process of going through everything and loctiting it. I replaced one of the blade grips, replaced the bent tail boom ( hubby had to do the soldering, my hands shake too much! lol) and I'm currently working on replacing the seesaw. I'm going to do the washer thing too ( if they'll fit, mine seems pretty snug in there), since I've got everything apart. I'm still not sure what part you melted together. I'll go back and reread it a few more times to see if it starts to sink in. My pitch gauge came in, so I'll be double checking the pitch while I'm at it. I'm hoping that I'll have the bird back together this afternoon, although I probably won't get it flying til this evening after the Super Bowl is over. I am really getting a kick out of learning to do the repairs myself. This is the first time I've done repairs to something more complex than an oil change or hooking up computers. I look at it as sort of a "bonding" time with my heli, lol. I'm really tickled that I'm actually taking things apart and getting them back together with no extra parts left over and everything in the same place as the picture. Oh, and now I have the safety sheet down as well as a super magnet for parts going AWOL.
P.S. I do know that I have to keep the magnet away from the heli's electronics, and hubby didn't have to tell me! lol
Juli Adcock is offline Find More Posts by Juli Adcock