HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2006, 01:31 AM
All Thumbs
College Station Texas, Home of the Fightin Texas Aggies
Joined Dec 2005
193 Posts
Well, all the tips and info helped, I was finally able to hover it. But it was a short lived victory. All those parts I spent all that time repairing didn't survive the crash. I leaned a hair too much for being as close to the ground as I was and BAM. Guess I'll be simming it up till the parts get here.
Rooney7783 is offline Find More Posts by Rooney7783
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2006, 02:33 AM
Fort Collins, CO.
Joined Sep 2002
457 Posts
well I got my vnr3d today, and I have not been more pleased with a mini heli. I have flown it several times in the garage and just cant stop. got to sleep!!! my blade cp is going to be sitting around collecting dust. I will have to look at finding some other body though as this one does make it look somewhat toyish imho. man, does the tail hold nice on this or what. I really like the cyclic response. setup was spot on right out of the box! cant wait to fly it outside tommorrow. I cant beleive this cost the same as my blade cp, the difference between the two is crazy. ok, sorry, cant help it. going to bed. later, scott.
flybye is offline Find More Posts by flybye
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:01 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
Rooney,

Glad you got to hover it. Quick, isn't it?

Flybye,

With all the hoopla about the Blade CP (which is a very good machine), is should be interesting to see how long it takes for the word to get out on how good the VNR3D is in comparison.

My feeling is that the VNR3D is way ahead of the Blade CP from a performance standpoint, but it will have to catch up with the advertising blitz on the Blade before people really recognize how good it is.

Welcome to the group!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:05 AM
All Thumbs
Joined Dec 2005
193 Posts
Ah Clem,
It is very quick. Much quicker than the CX which is all I have flown previous to this. I tell you what though, seeing it hover was the greatest feeling. Seeing it crash however wasn't but that's all part of the learning curve.

FlyBye,
Glad you are liking yours so much. I agree with your opinion on the canopy. To me it looks like a dolphin's head. Either way, I too am looking for an alternative to the stock canopy.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:38 PM
Fort Collins, CO.
Joined Sep 2002
457 Posts
it seems as though I did not do a good enough preflight check, as the set screw in the head came loose and had a crash. all is good , but just a heads up and check yours to make sure its tight. I have reset the blade pitch and retightened it, but I did use a little locktight just to be safe, if this setscrew loosens up while flying, you are going down. also I played with the pitch and throttle knobs on the radio, it would seem they are shown in the book reversed, as my throttle adjustment was changing pitch and my pitch knob was doing nothing. this of course was with the #8 dip unlocked. I have to play with it more when my pack is charged and double check these to be positive. have not had to touch the 4 in 1 as I like it set where it is. love the flexability or rather tuneability.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 01:27 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
Guys,

I guess I am weird (ok, I am weird) but I like the canopy (I even bought a spare). I thought that it was pretty strange looking in the photographs on the web, before I got the helicopter, but I really like it in person.

Now I am really, really colorblind, and I can tell that it is green (so it must be VERY GREEN) and I can see it well in the air too, so that helps.

Rooney,

I checked this morning, and mine is hovering at about 3/4 stick also. Even with only 1/4 travel left available on the throttle stick, there is a lot of collective available. Like the cyclic, the collective is extremely quick.

I have not done the adjustments that C of G has recommended yet with regard to re-positioning the head block so that the set screw is as high as possible in the flat area of the main shaft and adjusting the linkage (I know that I should), but the thing is flying so well that I sort of don't want to disturb it.

3 more 15 minute flights this morning. I have now found a place to fly where I can be all by myself-a big park with a large grass field. I can drop my son off at school and stop by the and fly a few times on the way to work.

I am actually having to get used to a neutral tail-I am used to using the torque from changing the throttle to help turns (especially left turns) on the Blade CP and the Honeybee CP2.

The tail on the VNR3D is completely steady, and does not swing with throttle changes (I believe that they are mixing tail rotor with throttle in the transmitter). Anyway, this is a huge improvement over the CP and CP2, but I am actually having to re-learn it. Usually, on my first left turn of the day, the tail tends to hang down inside of the turn. While this doesn't actually hurt anything, it is not exactly gracefull.

I seem to wise up again by the second left turn!

Flybie,

Somewhere, maybe on this thread "C of G" from Venom posted on the use of the two knobs. PLT (Pitch Limit Trim) is total pitch travel, and PZT (Pitch Zero Trim) is the mixing rate.

Neither of the two knobs directly changes the throttle, but the PZT, by changing the pitch for a given throttle setting, by default, changes the RPM.

I set my VNR3D so that it does not bog at full collective with the PLT knob and adjusted the PZT to where I had as much RPM as I could in the hover without having the tail wag. I am hopeful that "C of G" will correct me if I am wrong here or should be doing anything different.
Last edited by Ah Clem; Jan 10, 2006 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 03:17 PM
Fort Collins, CO.
Joined Sep 2002
457 Posts
sounds great ah clem, I have been playing around with all the available settings and have mine dialed in perfect. I am hovering just a hair over 1/2 throttle as I adjusted the head block setscrew all the way to the top of the flat spot and it seemed to give a little more lift at a little lower throttle. she does not bog down under load after setting my knobs. its all set now, just dont crash her and it will be fine right? ha ha. also I took the heli over to show my local hobby shop owner, and told him maybe he should order some of these helis with spare parts, he liked it alot so we will see. I think once people see these and look at all the extras you get over the blade cp,its going to really take off. off to play, later, scott.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 04:22 PM
Woohoohoohoohoo! AGAIN!!
Manly Vale, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
119 Posts
As aforementioned, I'm a fixed wing power junkie, and a bit more of a noob when it comes to heli's.
Can you guys please describe the location of the set screw and the head block?
Is it the green aluminium bit between the rotor blades?
?
Randori is offline Find More Posts by Randori
Old Jan 10, 2006, 04:47 PM
Fort Collins, CO.
Joined Sep 2002
457 Posts
randori, yes that is it. if you look on one side you will see a set screw. if you loosen that screw, the head block can be moved up and down. you will see a flat section notched in the shaft. adjust the head block so the set screw is tightened at the highest part of the flat section and you may want to loctite it. make sure you dont go to high and tighten it down on the round part of the shaft. I used a little blue locktite so I could reloosen it. if you tighten the set screw so the head block is set to low,when you power up the heli it wont lift off due to not having any, or not enough, positive pitch in the rotor blades. hope I explained it right. good luck, scott.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 06:00 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Dec 2005
193 Posts
When I ordered all my parts from Venom I also ordered the CF blades. What kind of changes if any can I expect?
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:08 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
I am waiting for the CF blades also. When I ordered my brushless set-up, they had not recieved the blades yet.

I am curious about the difference too!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 07:32 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,371 Posts
One cool side note about the top right nob for adjusting RPM/Pitch is that its as if it acts like a remote gyro gain nob. If you find the tail wagging in flight just dial it a bit til you see it stop. I have not touched a gyro except for one model I flew. I have flown at least 30 or more individual kits since we released it.

As Rooney mentioned we are taking orders for CF blades and they are beautiful. We will also offer them with built in LED's which are rechargable.

If your LHS dosnt carry Venom products but would like too, have them contact us directly and we can set them up as dealers, no problem.

Sales Dept. 1-800-705-0620 X 202 Ryan or Dan can help you.

@Randori

Since this is new for you please put on a set of training gear, this will save you, trust me, in more ways than one! Its great that your making the adjustments and preflight yourself, you will learn everything you need to know this way. I would adjust the servo links to slow the response down too BTW.

You guys are doing great, I love to see people enjoy the products we make. As always if there is problem let us know.

Chris
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Jan 10, 2006, 08:05 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney7783
When I ordered all my parts from Venom I also ordered the CF blades. What kind of changes if any can I expect?
The CF blades are slightly stiffer and so it will react faster, just what you wanted to hear right!? LOL
You will notice it more in 3D flight than in normal flying until you whip it around. The sound is different, smoother sound I think and a louder pop than the foam blades.
They take more abuse than the foam blades, you can touch the tip to the ground and not blow it off, ask me how I know this.

You will be very happy with these blades.

Chris
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Old Jan 10, 2006, 08:26 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,364 Posts
FASTER?

GEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

(ok, I guess I am going to need a set of CF Blades now)
Old Jan 11, 2006, 06:32 AM
Woohoohoohoohoo! AGAIN!!
Manly Vale, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
119 Posts
Thanks for the advice C of G. Training gear sounds like a good idea. The servo links are attached to the middle hole in the servo control horn. Do you recommend I go to the inside hole? I'm pretty hot on the sticks when it comes to fixed wing, so I "understand" the subtlety of control inputs, too much will see me into another form of flora once I get my replacement parts.
Hopefully LHS will have them on Monday.
Randori is offline Find More Posts by Randori