HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:15 PM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,308 Posts
I have a NR3D and the CP2. I have only hovered the NR3D in the back yard as the Rosebowl is shut down for the parade and football game.

The parts finish on the NR3D is much better than the CP2. The yoke for the head is aluminum. The head/mixing system is similar to the Hornet. The frame is a combination of Aluminum (lower plate) and composite. The landing gear is a departure from usual the carbon fiber rods plugged into molded mounts on the frame. The landing gear is bolted to the aluminum frame plate.

Blade chord is narrower than the CP2 and the blades are heavier.

The radio is more sophisticated on the NR3D (offering pitch range and pitch trim adjustment via knobs). The 4-in-1 appears to have vent holes over two of the components.

The head speed of the NR3D is higher and it is more stable in the hover. The gyro holds the tail very, very well. So far, it has excellent power.

I cannot comment on forward flight, but am anxious to compare it with the CP2 and the Blade. I have rolled the CP2 and the roll response is very good on the CP2. There is somewhat of a tendency for the CP2 to pitch up in FFF.

The NR3D is more solid in the hover. The headspeed is higher than the CP2.

My VNR3D flew correctly out of the box. My CP2 required a great deal of adjustment to get the pitch set correctly (both collective vs. throttle and tracking).

Regarding the parts change on the head-it looks like the NR3D was originally planned to be released with a collective/hiller head, as the Blade CP was. The manual shows the collective/hiller head. The addendum, mentioned above, discusses the upgrade to bell/hiller with collective, the reasons why the upgrade was made (essentially more rapid and more precise cyclic response), and lists the parts and numbers (again, listed above in this thread).
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2005, 12:30 PM
Boffin
Victoria, BC, Canada
Joined Apr 2001
3,397 Posts
Rumours

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah Clem
Regarding the parts change on the head-it looks like the NR3D was originally planned to be released with a collective/hiller head, as the Blade CP was.
The rumuor I heard was that Walkera made the plastic parts to Venom specs and then they added the upgrades. Maybe Paul can comment on whether any of that is true. We don't even have a Blade CP in the LHS yet (distribution to Canada takes a back seat) so I don't know when/if I'll see a Venom in person.

Parts distribution is the Achilles heel of buying a new machine.

Rick.
rpage53 is offline Find More Posts by rpage53
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:38 AM
here
Joined Nov 2004
44 Posts
Just to check, as I am new to this, I shouldn't have any trouble putting a ducted fan on the NR3D should I?
AKAKillaz is offline Find More Posts by AKAKillaz
Old Dec 29, 2005, 01:19 PM
Joined Apr 2005
39 Posts
Does the TX have a port that can be used with a flight sim? Do you know f any that will work with the venom 3d?
billyrebo is offline Find More Posts by billyrebo
Old Dec 29, 2005, 02:30 PM
All Thumbs
College Station Texas, Home of the Fightin Texas Aggies
Joined Dec 2005
193 Posts
So I canceled my order for the NRII, and ordered a NR3D instead. My question is, does anyone know what this heli is a clone of? Is it even a clone at all? Just wanna know what parts I can use on it. Thanks.
Rooney7783 is offline Find More Posts by Rooney7783
Old Dec 29, 2005, 09:41 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,308 Posts
Rooney,

It appears to be very similar to the Hornet II, but with a tail motor as opposed to a gear drive. I flew mine around a bit at the local park today (slow FFF, pirouttes, and a little nose in). It is extremely stable-the tail especially is rock solid. Very high head RPM. Much more power than a Blade CP, even when the NR3D has the stock Nimh and the Blade has a 3 Cell Lipo.

The head response is extemely rapid. I would advise training gear if you have only flown the Blade CX.

I am waiting for the brushless motor upgrade and the heat sinks (for main and tail motor).

By the way, they include the transmitter batteries (alkalines) and a spare set of blades.

Six flights, mostly hovering due to the lack of a flying field at the moment (except for the last flight), and I am loving it!
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:19 PM
here
Joined Nov 2004
44 Posts
Would you recommend this heli to beginners as, say, a choice next to the blade or hb cp2?

Oh, and what about this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/RCsmart-Space-40...QQcmdZViewItem

... looks just like a blade/cp2 clone... but what would I know...
AKAKillaz is offline Find More Posts by AKAKillaz
Last edited by AKAKillaz; Dec 31, 2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:31 PM
Joined Mar 2005
3,308 Posts
From posts on another thread, I think Venom thinks it is a little too hot for a beginners helicopter. I will try to post a link to their thread later. They state something like "you can learn on it, but they want you to know what you are getting into". Unlike the Blade CP, it is ready for 3D right out of the box-there is no need to change blades, motors, gear ratios etc.

I have not tried to roll it yet, so I cannot comment on aerobatics (the Rose Bowl is shut down for flying, and it is raining anyway).

It is very, very quick. It has the fastest head response of any micro that I have flown, including the Honeybee CP2 with the caveat that I have not flown a TREX yet.

It has the steadiest tail of any non-coaxial that I have flown. The tail is rock-solid.
Old Jan 06, 2006, 12:13 AM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,290 Posts
Hey guys, just joining in....alow myself to introduce myself,

Chris Nicastro
Director R&D
Venom Group International

aka VENOMOUS on RCZONE

I can answer any questions you have about the VNR3D and other Venom products for you as a factory rep.

This model is not a clone but borrows design concepts from others so it looks similar as you guys have noted.
It does hover inverted, loop, roll, tail forward fast flight, funnels, and more.

Sorry about the details we missed in the instructions but if you can imagine how many things we have to keep in check its anybodies wonder how a product makes it to market intact. Thats why I am here and we have excellent tech support to dont hesitate to ask.
Yes the head design was a running change and so we had to include the adendum to help out. The next batch will have all of this and more covered. The seesaw included in the bag is the original one and was thrown in the box as a spare or a tuning part to try. This causes too much confusion and will no longer be included.

I have tested this helicopter in 17F winter weather and 80Fsummer weather and it didnt change. I changed colors but the VNR3D was great. The plastic is good in all climates we have seen this year.

Yes, the transmitter takes all 8 cells. Dont laugh we get this question all the time.

Thats it for now,

Chris

BTW, I have flown a fan tail on our VNRII. Just FYI from my experience with that mod for many months and flights, I dont think a fan could keep up with holding the tail like the stock prop does. I still have several fans I can try this mod with but the VNR3D is very powerful as some of you have noted. Fans are fine for slow flight but when it has to respond quickly it has to spool up in order to make the correct amount of input. Its like turbo lag. The prop just has to change in RPM slightly and it gets the job done. I love the fan tails too but they are tough to tune with the gyro. They sound so cool too.
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
Last edited by C of G; Jan 06, 2006 at 12:30 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2006, 02:15 AM
San Carlos, California, United States
Joined May 2002
7,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C of G
This model is not a clone but borrows design concepts from others so it looks similar as you guys have noted.
It has a cloned Hornet II head. Go easy on the marketing hyperbole.

Toshi
TMorita is offline Find More Posts by TMorita
Old Jan 06, 2006, 09:50 AM
Joined Mar 2005
3,308 Posts
Venomous,

Welcome! Great to see you over here!
Old Jan 06, 2006, 10:25 AM
Hopelessly hooked
South Carolina USA
Joined Jul 2005
781 Posts
C of G,

When will the head replacement parts hit the market?
Futura is offline Find More Posts by Futura
Old Jan 06, 2006, 11:32 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,290 Posts
We expect our parts shipment in next week. These sold so fast that we didnt expect the run on parts and so it caught us a little by surprise. We are stocking up so this wont happen again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Chris
Old Jan 08, 2006, 02:57 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,290 Posts
I was over at Northwest RC Hobbies in Spokane Wa. on Friday and they have parts. 9 seesaw #7715 in stock and assorted other parts. They will ship too. 509-535-5062

Chris
Old Jan 08, 2006, 03:18 PM
Woohoohoohoohoo! AGAIN!!
Manly Vale, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
119 Posts
Well, it's officially the end of the holidays. The tree and decorations came down this weekend, and unfortunately, my NR3D is still collecting dust waiting for a new flybar seesaw. LHS guy says it should be in this week.
So I was surfin', lookin' for ways to mod the bird to pass the time while waiting, and got onto body kits.
Any plans for your NR3D regarding body kits? Which ones will fit?
Randori is offline Find More Posts by Randori