Chris
Chris Nicastro is offline Find More Posts by Chris Nicastro
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2006, 08:10 PM
Getting better at it
Henderson, NV
Joined Apr 2006
29 Posts
Woo Hoo! I'm at 6,000 feet! -- 2400 feet elev, 107F, 29.94 inHg, 42F dewpoint. It's windy too.

It definitely explains a lot! Early morning good -- later morning so-so -- after that, don't try it.
mikeconnor is offline Find More Posts by mikeconnor
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:09 PM
Delran NJ
Joined Jan 2004
173 Posts
About the blades? After about 3 or 4 crashes now I noticed the blades are pretty beat up chipped etc. I'm wondering since I have several other sets, are they worth repairing or no? Balance an issue here? Forgive me for asking but first heli with these type. There not the CF blades just the stock ones. Has anyone attempted this before? Is it worth it? Thanks!
Robertwav1 is offline Find More Posts by Robertwav1
Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:42 PM
Getting better at it
Henderson, NV
Joined Apr 2006
29 Posts
If the blades have any damage at all, the official answer is "no" and whatever you do is at your own risk.

I usually use them as long as a little bit of glue will keep the plastic shell in place (don't let it spread open) and they track true with only minor adjustments. If you have a chunk missing that is big enough change the balance or aerodynamics, replace them. If they are off aerodynamically even a little bit, they won't track and they'll probably vibrate badly as well as shorten your battery life.
mikeconnor is offline Find More Posts by mikeconnor
Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:54 PM
Post Falls, ID United States
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Yep what he said...

They can be fixed to a degree but its at the risk of everything really. I find the CF blades to be very durable in tip to ground strikes but anything heavier than that contact will destroy them. Today Karl slammed a set of night blades into a 4X4 wood post and kept flying them after that. I took them away to disect them but with some thin CA you could have still hovered them around, but thats it.

Be careful,

Chris
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:33 PM
adelaide, australia
Joined Apr 2006
132 Posts
so has anyone tried using longer blades? i think the stock ones are 265mm. so what about 285mm or something like that? or would that just slow down the response of this thing to much?
hunty is offline Find More Posts by hunty
Old Aug 11, 2006, 01:07 AM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
The Shogun blades are too long, tail rotor strike. Longer blades means more leverage to turn so at the right RPM they will have more authority over smaller blades. But if they dont fit then its a done deal. Your also dealing with power issues and stuff so its best to stay with the stock blades.

Chris
Old Aug 11, 2006, 05:42 AM
Delran NJ
Joined Jan 2004
173 Posts
Got it about the blades and thanks! One other question I have. Does this type of machine suffer from "ground effect"? My trainer does but, once it's in the air it's just fine. I figure 2 to 3' off the ground should be good??? What do all think? I went to high and to fast the last time....my mistake. My next flight after I fix it up...keep it 4 to 5'. Sound like a plan?
Robertwav1 is offline Find More Posts by Robertwav1
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:25 AM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
Yes the 3D will get pushed around in the rotor wash at less then 2'.

about 3' and up it is pretty stable in a hover. I spent a long time scotting around th ground wonderign why it was so squirly and then finally popped it up and realized it was much better.

I can now control it at 6" but it took a while.

Have Fun!
Andy
I.C.O.N. is offline Find More Posts by I.C.O.N.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 01:34 PM
adelaide, australia
Joined Apr 2006
132 Posts
still got tail wagging issues, ive tried adding more pitch with the pzt knob, no go, and ive tried adjusting the gyro and its either tail wag or like nearly no gyro at all, ie no tail wag but doesnt stop wen you let off the rudder and doesnt hold when u give full collective.

is there anything else that could be wrong? bad tail motor its had probably about 25 flights? or maybe a bad 4 in 1 board?

as you can imagine it makes flying rather difficult :P

cheers
hunty is offline Find More Posts by hunty
Old Aug 11, 2006, 03:08 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
Could be a tail motor for sure at 25 flights. Especially if you didn't break it in correctly.

You do have to find a happy medium when adjusting the gyro. I always had a slight tail wag to get good control.

Have Fun!
Andy
Old Aug 11, 2006, 03:25 PM
Joined Jul 2006
81 Posts
Brushless upgrade

Hi

Just installed a brushless motor RPM 3200, ESC 30A and a Li-po 3e 10c 1800 mah, the bird now weighs 420g, is this too much ?

Also is there anything I need to look out for when I connect the three wires on the motor to the ESC as there is no ref in the instructions as to which wire goes with which other colour (ESC wires different colour to the motor wires)

When I finally get to fly my VNR3D is there anything I need to be careful of now I have a brushless system installed?

Regards
Mike
casper7 is offline Find More Posts by casper7
Old Aug 11, 2006, 04:04 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
The wires need to connecty so the motor turns the right way. If it does not switch any two of them.

the lipo sound pretty big. Specially for only a 10C. Try getting a 800-1500 15C
I have hear the 800 are pretty much the best for this bird.

But Chris mentioned he flew with a 2100 before. So it should work.
May be a little sluggish and hard to handle if the weight of the batt gets swinging the wrong way.

Good Luck,
Andy
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:02 PM
Joined Feb 2004
4,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunty
still got tail wagging issues, ive tried adding more pitch with the pzt knob, no go, and ive tried adjusting the gyro and its either tail wag or like nearly no gyro at all, ie no tail wag but doesnt stop wen you let off the rudder and doesnt hold when u give full collective.

is there anything else that could be wrong? bad tail motor its had probably about 25 flights? or maybe a bad 4 in 1 board?

as you can imagine it makes flying rather difficult :P

cheers
The tail wagging is the gyro set too sensitive, turn the gain down. If your fighting it still then reset the gyro to 50% on each pot and check the TH/Pitch curves. Check the head and swash to make sure your have equal +/- pitch. You could have the head running at a high RPM with very little pitch and so the gyro is over compensating. 25 flights is very little for anything to have worn out so you just need to go through some tuning.

Chris
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:56 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
Well guys... ...it's been fun but I decided to focus all my funds on my T-rex.
So I decided to put my 3D parts up for sale.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...39#post5892372

Have Fun!
Andy