HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:13 PM
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
That would be awesome, I love my minimag.... I wonder if parts will be compatable?
I just checked their website and the Fun Man hasn't been added yet. However, it sure seems to be the same airplane with Fun Cub wheels, new graphics and a new power package ?!?

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:03 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniBoy View Post
it sure seems to be the same airplane with Fun Cub wheels, new graphics and a new power package ?!?
It is the same airframe, the wheels are bigger (but much smaller than the FunCub wheels) and power is provided by the standard MiniMag brushless motor, i.e. a PERMAX BL-O 2830-1100, same as used for the Twin-Star II brushless.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:33 AM
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
It is the same airframe, the wheels are bigger (but much smaller than the FunCub wheels) and power is provided by the standard MiniMag brushless motor, i.e. a PERMAX BL-O 2830-1100, same as used for the Twin-Star II brushless.

Jürgen
Thanks for the details, Jurgen.

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
Clintonville, WI
Joined Jun 2008
273 Posts
Jurgen, I would have hoped for a longer nose moment balance, for modern Lipo batteries. Also, an air scoop like the FunCub for better cooling.
blinske is offline Find More Posts by blinske
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:03 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinske View Post
Jurgen, I would have hoped for a longer nose moment balance, for modern Lipo batteries. Also, an air scoop like the FunCub for better cooling.
Mount your motor (preferably a short 2820mm outrunner) on the out-/front side side of the motor mount. This will move forward weight in itself, and if you cut the motor shaft, you will also be able to move your lipo forward.

This way, you can balance your MM with a small 1300mAh 3S LiPo.

Here's mine: 430gr AUW with 4 servos, but no wheels
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:47 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Quote:

Jürgen
Looks great. Towards the end of the video there's a smoke system on the landing gear, any idea who makes that? Thanks.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:25 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,594 Posts
Quote:

Jürgen
Awesome... I was so sad when the minimag went away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Mount your motor (preferably a short 2820mm outrunner) on the out-/front side side of the motor mount. This will move forward weight in itself, and if you cut the motor shaft, you will also be able to move your lipo forward.

This way, you can balance your MM with a small 1300mAh 3S LiPo.
Yea, like mine.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:59 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinske View Post
I use a 70g motor and 2s 2000mAh battery in my MiniMag and don't have a problem balancing the model. Air scoop? Neither motor nor battery warms up noticeably at all.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:01 AM
Clintonville, WI
Joined Jun 2008
273 Posts
I just don't like the motor hanging out in front, I guess it's my engineering sensibilities. As far as cooling, it has never been a problem to me, but to me it does make sense to bring in more air anyway. I've been using an outrunner motor, inside the airplane attached to the back of the motor mount, with minimum clearance, so much so I have to remove so foam to allow full clearance. It works very well, but does limit air flow. I see the new MM uses a outrunner motor, but I've not seen specs for the motor yet or whether the fuse is provided with more clearance for it. I, like everyone else , think the MM is the ultimate airplane.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:06 AM
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,081 Posts
I have to admit that the motor hanging out in front of my Minimag is an eyesore.
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:59 AM
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Charlottenlund
Joined Jan 2012
1,377 Posts
Use a Turnigy Park300 with the O-ring prop adaptor, and there will be very little motor hanging out. I doubt if the prop will be much further out than with a normal 3,17 mm adaptor
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Last edited by mike_o; Feb 17, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:06 AM
Clintonville, WI
Joined Jun 2008
273 Posts
I've built four MM, with three still flying. All good ideas, but I still would prefer a longer nose moment with more space for balancing. ps. I reinforce the cabin area along the sides with ice cream sticks (DQ Dilly bar) to strengthen the opening. Works very well and keeps the plane together in a rough crash.
Last edited by blinske; Feb 27, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 05:29 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,594 Posts
Hey guys... so, my minmag has been sitting in the hanger for a few years.... Money was tight when I got it, so I moved my ESC from my slowstick to the minimag, then I got an easystar, and moved the ESC to that one.... Then I sold the easystar, with the ESC, and sort of stopped flying for a long time... Then about a year ago, I started buying planes and helis again, but all just UM... I aquired a blade MCX, MSR, 120SR, nano CPx, parkzone UM p-51, and eflight UMX gee bee.....
So then my brother got an eflight corsair (the big brushless one) and I wanted something big to fly too.....

Long story short, I recently busted out the minimag again, repaird some hangar rash, and installed a brand new ESC, external BEC, and two new servos to activate the ailerons (was flying RET before)...

SO,,,,, I am just looking for some setup tips.... Flying with a DX7, I have activated flaperons, and got everyong going the right way.... so here are my questions:

This is my first time using flaps for anything.
My radio defaulted to setting the flaps off with the 3 position switch in the middle, full down with it one diection, and full up with it the other direction, so starting with the switch at one side, it goes flaps up, flaps off, flaps down... is this right? I thought it was supposed to be flaps off, half flaps down, full flaps down? Should I change it, or is there some reason you would want them to go up?

how much differential should I use for this plane?
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:24 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
665 Posts
I use spoilerons on my MM where the ailerons are both up at the same servo throw percentage. The plane tends to float forever, spoilerons push the plane down quicker making it much easier to land in tighter places.

Position 0 is off, mid switch is 40% and full is around 90%. With these setting I land using the rudder as aileron authority at slower speeds and 90% spoileron is pretty diminished.

For differential I started at 20% and then went to 30%.
ryan_t888 is online now Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Mar 25, 2013, 08:58 AM
Beware Of The Shills !!!
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,466 Posts
Anyone know where I could get hold of a whole new motor mount in the UK including the part that glues into the fuselage, not just the front part that the motor attaches to.

I did find one site in the UK that sell the upgraded Aluminium one but they're out of stock and it was only the front plate from what I could see.

Am open for any upgrade suggestions as well on how to make a new mount, I was going to look through the thread but there's nearly 300 pages, would just take me ages to do!!!
If I make a mount I definitely want the motor housed on the fuselage as I think it looks weird where they stick out of the front, definitely not a look I'm after !!
Witterings is online now Find More Posts by Witterings