SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:05 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,101 Posts
Did I mention I have a NIB RxR Minimag for sale? $60 plus shipping.
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 06:03 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GassPasser View Post
i;ll take it please.
Did you see that?

Anyone have photos of the float attachment point for the rear brace?
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Last edited by ryan_t888; Jul 30, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:21 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
531 Posts
It's arrived

Received a call from my friendly hobby shop owner earlier. My Minimag is waiting to be picked up. I should have it in my mits later this afternoon/evening.

Steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:36 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,101 Posts
I came real close to pulling the trigger on a couple more motors I would like to try on this plane. Just not sure I want to put any more money into it. I'm way beyond a trainer, and only picked it up because it was cheap, and I had all the electronics I needed laying around. Now I find my self looking at bigger motors, and props. Maybe I should just sell it, and move on, or just keep it as a lazy flyer.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 02:48 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
I don't really look at the minimag as a trainer although it qualifies perfectly. I would keep it as a lazy, cost effective flyer.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:14 PM
gravity is strong where I fly
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Jul 2011
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_t888 View Post
I don't really look at the minimag as a trainer although it qualifies perfectly. I would keep it as a lazy, cost effective flyer.
X2!

I put a brushless 400 size motor in mine with a 3 cell 1800 battery and it'll scoot right along pretty good with a 8x6 prop. I am ordering a set of floats for it so I can fly it all winter in the snow too.

I have several planes of many different wing styles and such, but I bought this Mag because I trust Multiplex planes and I wanted a high wing cub. They fly so different than other configurations; I wanted to keep one in my fleet. Turns out this Mag was a great choice!
Air Cooled is offline Find More Posts by Air Cooled
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:13 AM
France, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Croix
Joined Jul 2011
143 Posts
Hi to you, happy owners of the minimag,

i have the motor set from multiplex with the permax 2830-1100 motor, and i would like to upgrade it with this one that seems to have tyhe same diameter :

IBM 2217 1120 Kv :

- KV: 1120 KV (rpm/V)

- Power : 336W

- Alim: 2-4 Li-Po

- Courant max: 23.2A

- Diamètre axe: 4mm

- Dimensions: diam 28mm, Long 36mm

- Poids: 70g

It has more watts, so i guess more power than the permax.

Will my minimag fly faster ?

Thx to you
laurentjeuxlille is offline Find More Posts by laurentjeuxlille
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:17 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentjeuxlille View Post
Hi to you, happy owners of the minimag,

i have the motor set from multiplex with the permax 2830-1100 motor, and i would like to upgrade it with this one that seems to have tyhe same diameter :

IBM 2217 1120 Kv :

- KV: 1120 KV (rpm/V)

- Power : 336W

- Alim: 2-4 Li-Po

- Courant max: 23.2A

- Diamètre axe: 4mm

- Dimensions: diam 28mm, Long 36mm

- Poids: 70g

It has more watts, so i guess more power than the permax.

Will my minimag fly faster ?

Thx to you
All other things equal, it will have only marginally more RPMs, so difference would be very small. But run at with a higher pitch prop 8x6 and 4S, then you'll need binoculars to spot the MM after a few seconds....

Still, I wouldn't do it. That is not what the MM is about. And all that speed would only worsen the wing incident issue. Perhaps better get a FunJet?
mike_o is offline Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:30 AM
Joined Jul 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
All other things equal, it will have only marginally more RPMs, so difference would be very small. But run at with a higher pitch prop 8x6 and 4S, then you'll need binoculars to spot the MM after a few seconds....

Still, I wouldn't do it. That is not what the MM is about. And all that speed would only worsen the wing incident issue. Perhaps better get a FunJet?
In fact i plan to put on the minimag a fpv system, so i need more power.... this motor have the same kv (1100 and 1120 kv), but have more watts. I think more watts means more power.

I tried my fpv with the permax motor and it cant take off from grass... a hand launch is needed and it seems to have trouble to climb.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:51 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
Watts is power. To get more power from your new motor, you would need to prop up. Since you can't get off the ground, more thrust for you would be beneficial. Thrust is dictated generally by the prop diameter. Try a bunch of props. Move up in diameter one size while keeping the pitch the same.

You may also try this on the stock motor. Try it on the bench first in order to make certain motor temps are in the correct range. You most likely only need extra power for take off, which would just be a burst amount.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:27 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,101 Posts
So more power does not equal more speed, but rather more thurst. Higher KV would equal more speed?
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:33 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
673 Posts
More power can give you what ever you choose. More Diameter provides more thrust which is what you will need to get off the ground.

More prop pitch will provide you with more speed. More speed will not necessarily get you off the ground.

Pitch Speed Calculator.
In the above pitch speed calculator you can experiment with the props pitch speed by changing KV and prop pitch. This would be the speed of the wind passing through the propeller. Actual plane speed must be lower than this as it will never be 100% efficient in level flight.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:21 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentjeuxlille View Post
I think more watts means more power.

I tried my fpv with the permax motor and it cant take off from grass... a hand launch is needed and it seems to have trouble to climb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan View Post
So more power does not equal more speed, but rather more thurst. Higher KV would equal more speed?
More watts doesnt necessarily mean more power, thats not how it works. A motor rated for more watts doesnt mean its by default "more powerful", if you removed your motor, and installed that one laurentjeuxlille posted above with the same prop, your plane would fly pretty much exactly like it does now.....

BUT, a motor rated for more watts means it can HANDLE more power... meaning you can prop up further without overheating the motor. Of course, thats going to pull more amps, so make sure your battery and ESC can handle it....

So basicaly, if your setup now pulls 15 amps, and you install the new motor with the same prop, its still going to pull about 15 amps. But that new motor can handle 23 amps, so you can prop up to get either more thrust or more speed. To get more thrust, increase the diameter, to get more speed increase the pitch. Either will increase amp draw.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:17 AM
Joined Jul 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
More watts doesnt necessarily mean more power, thats not how it works. A motor rated for more watts doesnt mean its by default "more powerful", if you removed your motor, and installed that one laurentjeuxlille posted above with the same prop, your plane would fly pretty much exactly like it does now.....

BUT, a motor rated for more watts means it can HANDLE more power... meaning you can prop up further without overheating the motor. Of course, thats going to pull more amps, so make sure your battery and ESC can handle it....

So basicaly, if your setup now pulls 15 amps, and you install the new motor with the same prop, its still going to pull about 15 amps. But that new motor can handle 23 amps, so you can prop up to get either more thrust or more speed. To get more thrust, increase the diameter, to get more speed increase the pitch. Either will increase amp draw.

Ok, thx, that's what i thought.

I need more thrust to put all my fpv in the air with the minimag.

I will put à bigger prop with the same pitch, and change the ESC for a bigger one.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 02:17 AM
Joined Jul 2011
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_t888 View Post
More power can give you what ever you choose. More Diameter provides more thrust which is what you will need to get off the ground.

More prop pitch will provide you with more speed. More speed will not necessarily get you off the ground.

Pitch Speed Calculator.
In the above pitch speed calculator you can experiment with the props pitch speed by changing KV and prop pitch. This would be the speed of the wind passing through the propeller. Actual plane speed must be lower than this as it will never be 100% efficient in level flight.

Thx to you, a nice calculator !