Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 28, 2012, 12:59 AM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,574 Posts
a wattmeter wills et you back about $50, and if you want to get max performance, its the way to go.

Ive never used one on the other hand. I only use tried and true setups. I know appoximatly how many amps each of my planes draws because other people with wattmeters have posted them on the net. If you look around, you should be able to find something for just about any motor/prop combo (assuming its workable, you probably wont find data on a 12x6 prop for your motor)
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:13 AM
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,077 Posts
Ok..dropped the Y and went to dual ailerons with proper differential. BIG difference. Much more controllable, and the "balloon up" problem when banking is MUCH better. I still have to play with the throws, and set at suggested in manual doesn't allow it to roll what so ever, but this was certainly the right fix for the balloon problem.
I'm thinking the 370 motor with the 8040 prop is far from enough power to make this anywhere close to sporty. Thinking I may step up to a park 450 and try a 10" prop. I want to say that I believe no matter what I do this will never be a fast sporty flyer, but someone posted a video of this thing on floats, and they were tearing it up. Clearly it can be done.
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan View Post
Ok..dropped the Y and went to dual ailerons with proper differential. BIG difference. Much more controllable, and the "balloon up" problem when banking is MUCH better. I still have to play with the throws, and set at suggested in manual doesn't allow it to roll what so ever, but this was certainly the right fix for the balloon problem.
I started out with recommended differential, and then got rid of it when I found there wasn't enough aileron authority to roll at stock-motor speeds. I didn't find that losing the differential had any significant effect on turning that couldn't be addressed with a little rudder and elevator coordination. Ballooning was never a problem for me; I still need a little up elevator to keep the nose up in a turn.

Rolling still isn't that great; the speed has to be up, and I still have to use a good bit of down elevator as it goes inverted to keep it from dropping into a dive. Have been procrastinating on increasing the throws because they're just right for everything else, but really need to do that.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Jul 29, 2012, 03:07 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFlyBy View Post
Have been procrastinating on increasing the throws because they're just right for everything else, but really need to do that.
Two words. Dual rates.....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:27 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan View Post
I'm thinking the 370 motor with the 8040 prop is far from enough power to make this anywhere close to sporty. Thinking I may step up to a park 450 and try a 10" prop. I want to say that I believe no matter what I do this will never be a fast sporty flyer, but someone posted a video of this thing on floats, and they were tearing it up. Clearly it can be done.
I'm glad to hear that the MiniMag was MUCH more controllable with dual ailerons and the proper differential. I had mine set up that way but before I flew it I let a guy talk me out of it. He connected a Y and set the aileron throw WAY out there. That made it SO squirrely that I ended up crashing it several times. (this was after I had been flying it just fine for many weeks with just rudder.

I'm not interested in sport flying with this plane so I plan to set up all my controls per the manual and just fly it for fun. Maybe I can do a barrel roll with it?

I have a Tower Pro 2408-21T brushless motor (1400 kv) with a 10 x 6 folding prop on this MiniMag but I have no clue as to whether that's a good combination or what. It seemed to have enough power even with a 2S battery. (recommendations for best prop for this motor/plane would be much appreciated)

The last crash messed up the motor mount quite badly so I need to do some re-constructive surgery and come up with a motor mount that allows me to install the motor inside the fuselage. I had the motor bolted on to the front of the motor mounting plate. That plus the folding prop my "friend" put on it not only didn't look good but was an invitation to breakage on any but a slow level landing.

I DO want to get it repaired and fly it with rudder, aileron and elevator as a trainer, but it doesn't have to be sporty.

I'm sure y'all know that I built up a second MiniMag which I will NOT add ailerons to. It is flying very nicely with the Multiplex brushless upgrade package (Himax 2815-2000 outrunner with APC 5.5 x 4.5 prop and 17A ESC. It's very quiet, tame as a kitten and a lot of fun to fly with only a 2S battery.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:02 PM
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,077 Posts
I run that motor on my Cessna foamy. Was my first electric plane, and I still fly it years later. Using a 8040 prop and a 3 cell, it has much more speed and power than the 370 I'm running on this plane. Was thinking about swapping them out.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:06 PM
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Two words. Dual rates.....
Yup. Was thinking about setting them wide open. Might have to program a couple mixes for rolls and such. I can't imagine this thing ever doing a snap roll, but it does seem to turn smoother with a little rudder, and I'm thinking some may be needed to roll this puppy. Bet it'll knife edge, though.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:04 PM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
662 Posts
Anyone have dimensions for floats? Mounting Suggestions?

Owned the MM for nearly a year. Only have 25 flights on it so far as it wasn't built until this spring.

Running a:
Mega 16/15/5 1800KV motor
APC 6x5.5 prop
CC Thunderbird 36A ESC
5 - 3s packs. 1000mAh 1300mAh(2) 2100mAh and a 2200mAh pack. Enjoy each one.
MPX servos in the tail
HS-55's in the wings
Running an AR8000 RX. Way overkill in this bird.

Programmed Differential and aggressive spoilerons. Aileron differential makes more of a subtle difference to me. Spoilerons make a huge difference and allow me to land in much less distance by pushing the plane down.

Flies casually very well. Rolls do need speed and are not all that axial for me. Inverted flight seems OK. Elevator is needed to keep it from dropping out of the sky.It will loop well. This is about as far as I push mine.

Now to the unfortunate part:
While looking around for floats, I have come to realize about a week or two ago that the MM is discontinued. Can not find floats anywhere local to get them quickly.

I wouldn't mind making up a simple set just for a few weekends at the lake. If anyone has a stock MM set of floats they have measured, I'm curious to see if my dimensions are close. (length, width, height, length to step, ect)
I'm also very interested in seeing how exactly they mount to the plane. If there is a challenge this would be it. I'd like to keep the main landing gear, just pull the wheels off. What would be best for the rear?
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Last edited by ryan_t888; Jul 29, 2012 at 10:37 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 04:48 AM
France, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, Croix
Joined Jul 2011
143 Posts
Hi all,

i plane to make a fpv plateforme with my minimag.

I think i need more thrust to put evrything in the air : gps, osd, cam etc...

I have the bl-o 2830 1000 kv motor from multiplex, and i think i should put on a bigger prop...

Can you tell me what size of prop i can put on : 10:5 or 11:5 for exemple ?

I want to put 4s lipo, as it is possible with this motor, according to the motor manual spec.

Thx
laurentjeuxlille is offline Find More Posts by laurentjeuxlille
Old Jul 30, 2012, 07:45 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_t888 View Post
Owned the MM for nearly a year. Only have 25 flights on it so far as it wasn't built until this spring.

Now to the unfortunate part:
While looking around for floats, I have come to realize about a week or two ago that the MM is discontinued. Can not find floats anywhere local to get them quickly.

I wouldn't mind making up a simple set just for a few weekends at the lake. If anyone has a stock MM set of floats they have measured, I'm curious to see if my dimensions are close. (length, width, height, length to step, ect)
I'm also very interested in seeing how exactly they mount to the plane. If there is a challenge this would be it. I'd like to keep the main landing gear, just pull the wheels off. What would be best for the rear?
I see you are in Canada, but there are lots of online websites here in the states that offer the float set. Google on "float set for Multiplex MiniMag" (without the quotes) and you'll see a lot of suppliers. I bought mine from amazon.com and got it in a few days. At the moment I have no interested in flying and landing my MiniMag on water but knowing the plane is discontinued along with most of the parts, I ordered the float set because I knew it would not be available much later.

I also ordered the Multiplex Brushless Motor Power Pack, three wing sets, an undercarraige set, a small parts set plus a complete second RR plane. I like this plane a lot and I wanted spare parts.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Last edited by fotoflyer; Jul 30, 2012 at 07:47 AM. Reason: edit wording
Old Jul 30, 2012, 08:16 AM
Never Fast Enough
Hamilton Ontario
Joined Oct 2005
662 Posts
Thanks. My only concern with online ordering, is they may not be here with in 4 days. I can throw something together quite easily(may be a fun mini project) for the weekend and if they don't work out I'll order a set. Tower has them in stock and they usually put limited quantities if they are about to sell out.
ryan_t888 is offline Find More Posts by ryan_t888
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:03 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Should I........?

Should I get myself a Minimag ?

My much loved, aileron equipped, Graupner Terry S died over the weekend after experiencing a high speed impact with a tree branch followed by terra firma. All my own fault needless to say.

Now, while the airframe is more or less smashed beyond repair, the good news is that, apart from the motor, the rest of the electronics are ok.

So, I have 4x9g servos, Spektrum Rx, 20A esc, available for a replacement plane. In addition I have two 3S 1800mah lipos and one 3S 1500 lipo looking for a home.

After a little research it would seem that the gear I have available would be pretty much ideal for a Minimag - please correct me if I'm wrong. The only other purchase necessary with the kit being a suitable motor/prop combo. Therefore I could be in the air for a grand total of about 80-90 Euros.

I do have other models but the Minimag would fit the gap in terms of size, portability and convenience left by the demise of the Terry. In that:

Once built, the wings can stay attached to the fuselage for both storage and transport. At the field, simply connect the lipo and fly with no faffing about.
Stable enough for gentle relaxed flying but capable of basic acros with suitable set up.

Answers to my question gratefully recieved from Minimag flyers worldwide.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:20 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevespana View Post
So, I have 4x9g servos, Spektrum Rx, 20A esc, available for a replacement plane. In addition I have two 3S 1800mah lipos and one 3S 1500 lipo looking for a home.
That's all fine for a MiniMag. It's a delightful plane to fly, with a broad flight envelope encompassing everything from very gentle 3ch flight to fairly agile aerobatics.

My personal preference for this plane is a motor around 1100 kv, 50g mass, swinging a 8x5 prop.
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:23 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
That's all fine for a MiniMag. It's a delightful plane to fly, with a broad flight envelope encompassing everything from very gentle 3ch flight to fairly agile aerobatics.

My personal preference for this plane is a motor around 1100 kv, 50g mass, swinging a 8x5 prop.
Thanks for the reply H2SO4.

I thought I was reasonably well sorted and the Minimag's broad flight characteristics are just what I'm looking for as a general sport flyer.

My LHS has a motor available which I was considering. 1000 kv, 47g, rec prop on 3S = 9x5.

Steve.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:24 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
506 Posts
Well, I went ahead and ordered the Minimag as my LHS didn't have one in stock.

Now, I have to sit back and wait for I don't know how long. The whole of the country virtually grinds to a standstill throughout August as everyone takes their summer holidays, Despite the financial mess this country is in.

Anyway, some time soon I will be a member of the Minimag owners club and looking forward to it.

Steve.