SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
fotoflyer,

If you wear out your Permax brushes, I have a few brand new motors with props lying around that I will ship to honourable RCG members for the postage.

I think I even have an original Multiplex reduction gear as well.
I would be interested in several of the spare motors with props. Send me a PM with shipping cost of two or three of them to ZIP 75082 in Texas.

Thanks, Gus
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:33 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,105 Posts
I have a RxR minimag NIB I could be talked into letting go of for $60 plus shipping if anyone is interested. Might also consider trades.
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:47 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by project80 View Post
I think that's a false information. The MM ist still listed on the Multiplex website in Germany. So it should still be available in the U.S. too.
I can't figure any reason why they should discontinue it only in America
On the MPX usa site the minimag kit is listed as discontinued

However, the RR and RTF versions are still lested as current...

Of course, that would explain why RR and RTF versions are still avalable while kits are not....

Looking into the past though, the space scooter kit was discontinued a while before the RR and RTF versions were.....

Doesn't look good for the MM..... Almost makes me want to get a RTF while they are avalable so I have a spare wing, but then I wouldn't have an excuse to get a funcub down the road...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
You can buy a spare wing from amazon.com here:
http://www.amazon.com/MLTPLX-M224177...tiplex+MiniMag

I just ordered a wing and the undercarriage set. I thought about ordering the small parts set but I didn't see anything there that I would likely use. I bought the Power Pack about a week ago, got it and just finished installing it this evening. It consists of a brushless inrunner motor, with a 20 amp ESC along with a nice prop and prop adapter (the stock prop is a joke, it won't stay on even after heavy gluing.) The inrunner motor from the Power Pack mounts inside just like the stock brushed motor - well, almost - I had to drill out the holes on the motor mount because the brushless motor uses larger screws plus the spacing of the threaded holes on the motor are slightly different from the stock motor.

All of the MiniMag items that amazon.com has seem to be on this one page.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...tiplex+MiniMag

Overall, the brushless upgrade was an easy install. It seems to have plenty of power using a 2S 1300 mAh Lipo. I plan to flight test it tomorrow morning if the weather is ok. If it's a bit sluggish, then I'll try a 3S 1300 mAh battery which I already have.

I'll find out after I test fly it tomorrow morning, but in general, do brushless motors have more power than brushed motors, for the same size motor? This Power Pack came with a 5.5 x 4.5 prop whereas the stock prop is 5 x 4 with a goofy slip on mount.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Oh, I was also going to mention - check out the prices that Amazon has for the RTF MiniMags. There are three listed with the lowest price at $79.81 and the most expensive one is at $228.32!

The RR version of the MiniMag seems to be missing from several sites but I found some on eBay which were priced reasonably. But why by a RR when you can buy a RTF for the same price? The fact that the radio is 72 mHz makes it less valuable but one might use the 72 mHz transmitter and receiver on another model.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:13 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
Yes, in general brushless motors have more power than brushed motors. They are also more efficient and usually quieter. You will likely be better off using your 3 cell batteries too. Thanks for the heads up on the amazon prices too. I may have to grab a spare wing....
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jul 13, 2012, 03:25 AM
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
It is discontinued at Horizon Hobby - see screen shot below. You have to allow the search for discontinued models in order to see this. If you just search for MiniMag normally, you will not get any hits. Also I talked with Horizon Hobby and they confirmed that the MiniMag is a discontinued item.
Thanks for the info Gus. So Horizon Hobby is (was) the distributor in the U.S. But that doesn't mean you can't get one anymore, since the original manufacturer is Multiplex in Germany and they do still sell it. If there's no other distributor taking over, just order one from an European dealer. Will cause higher shipping rates though.

Edit: Oh boy, I had missed a complete page with replies before I posted this. Yes, Amazon might be also a good alternative for you guys.
project80 is offline Find More Posts by project80
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:00 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
I would be interested in several of the spare motors with props. Send me a PM with shipping cost of two or three of them to ZIP 75082 in Texas.

Thanks, Gus
Gus,

I PM'ed you, but I can't see the mail in my out box. Not sure if that's normal mail behaviour in here...
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:43 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,105 Posts
I might also be willing to trade my NIB minimag for a set of floats as long as it was close to the east coast (keep the shipping down).
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan
Old Jul 13, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
Gus,

I PM'ed you, but I can't see the mail in my out box. Not sure if that's normal mail behaviour in here...
I checked for PM but haven't received any.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan View Post
I might also be willing to trade my NIB minimag for a set of floats as long as it was close to the east coast (keep the shipping down).
You can get a set of floats at Amazon here:
http://www.amazon.com/Multiplex-Mode...tiplex+MiniMag for $34.49 with FREE shipping!

I can't quite visualize myself ever flying and landing in a lake but I think they really look cool on the plane when it is in flight. So I think I will order a set before they are gone forever then decide what to do with them later.

Gus
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:21 AM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
776 Posts
I just got a third-hand MM, that needs Batt/ESC /motor/prop
Could anyone help with what the majority uses for a 3cells - setup?

PS: I already have in hand a turnigy motor D2836-950kV :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18968
Do you think it will work with the minimag?
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:31 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
I just got a third-hand MM, that needs Batt/ESC /motor/prop
Could anyone help with what the majority uses for a 3cells - setup?

PS: I already have in hand a turnigy motor D2836-950kV :
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18968
Do you think it will work with the minimag?
It would work, yes, but would run at low power and effiency. A 2822, 1000-1100KV driving an 8x4 or 8x6 prop would be my preferred choice. The only "benefit" of the heavy 2836 is that it comes closer in weight to the original brushed 400 can, and thus makes it easier to ger the CoG right. Check some of the earlier posts, and you'll see some of the 2822 set-ups with the motor mounted on the outside / front of the motor bay to help get CoG right.

I don't know the rated power of your 2836, but I'd assume 260W or so. The Speed 400 was about 40W....
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:22 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
776 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
The D2836-950kV is rated 243watt and the smaller prop i have in hand is an 9x6. My guess is that with this setup i will have a maximum of 700gr thrust at close to (but under) 20amps.
My worry was if i would be too heavy with this motor and it's nice to know that it will be ok. I hope a 1800mah (3S) battery will also be good, as my next smaller is 1000mAh.
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:36 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,304 Posts
Yea that motor is a bit heavy, but then, so is the stock brushed motor.... I would want something a bit lighter if I were buying it, but if thats what I had on hand, I would probably use it.... 950kv is bit low IMO, but with a 9x6 or 9x7 on a 3 cell I think the plane would fly fine with plenty of power.... the 1800mah battery should work fine too... I fly mine on a 2000mah 3 cell... my motor is half the weight of yours, but its also mounted out in front of the nose.... I dont think you will have any difficulty balancing it as long as you get the motor inside the nose
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur