SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:01 PM
United States, OH, North Canton
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
Well, I put in an order for a Himax 2815-1400 and a Castle Creations Thunderbird 36! Now it's just a waiting game, I guess. Thanks for all the help that I have received from everyone before making this decision. Can't wait to get flying again!

Stephen
PREDATOR411 is offline Find More Posts by PREDATOR411
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 07:44 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PREDATOR411 View Post
Another potentially dumb question: seeing as the MiniMag has been discontinued, should a purchase a set of floats now if I have no intention of installing them but will probably want to later? I really hate spending on things that will just sit around, but I will probably end up kicking myself later if I want to add floats and I can't find them.

Stephen
That depends, do you live where you could actualy use floats? One of the things that attracted me to the minimag was float flying, yet in the years I have had it, Ive never really had the opportunity.... there are lakes around, but I just dont see buying floats to use a couple times a year... If you live on a lake buy them, otherwise..... If you cant find "minimag" floats later, you will be able to find something that will work, or make something even.....

Thats just my opinion, if you are sure you will use them later, then buy them. But on a discontinued plane you might not be able to get spare parts for, who knows if the plane will still be flyable when you get around to using them.... Of course, they could always go on another plane...

Helpful, eh?
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
That depends, do you live where you could actualy use floats?...

But on a discontinued plane you might not be able to get spare parts for, who knows if the plane will still be flyable when you get around to using them...
Both very good points. Guess I'll be holding off for now

Stephen
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
Gah! I hate waiting for my motor / speed control to get here! This is driving me nuts!
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:42 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Another potentially dumb question: seeing as the MiniMag has been discontinued, should a purchase a set of floats now if I have no intention of installing them but will probably want to later? I really hate spending on things that will just sit around, but I will probably end up kicking myself later if I want to add floats and I can't find them.

Stephen
I'm well beyond "trainers", and other than for simple mod projects, the floats are the main reason I even bought the MiniMag (that, and I got 2 for under $50 ). Just wanted to try flying off a lake. Not 100% sure there is even one close by that I can fly at, but I figured for that price, I can just hang onto it until the op presents itself. Not real crazy that the floats cost as much as I paid for the plane. Not really much to them to justify the price.
Anyway, as you get more time into the hobby you will find that you collect a ton of stuff that has no apparent current use. I upgraded the power system with parts I had laying around, which kept the total price of this plane down to less than $35 top to bottom. There are no cheap hobbies. Buy the floats.
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:35 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
686 Posts
i have MM floats in excellent condition if anyone wants them.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Jul 10, 2012, 09:32 AM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
What are you looking to get for them GassPasser? BTW, the power system came in last night! So pumped!

Stephen
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:48 AM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
All Fixed Up!

Just finished the repairs / upgrades to the MiniMag ! Motor installed on gobrushless motor mount, prop balanced, velcro wing mod made, and cut a channel in the front of the canopy hatch to allow for greater airflow through the fuse. Hope to test everything out tomorrow night!

Stephen
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:47 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,259 Posts
I recently started to use a down elevator mix with full throttle (10%) in addition to the Velcro mod. It has ballooning at full throttle 100% in control now.

Shot some AV with my MiniMag last weekend. Before you ask, the landing was fine just a short roll out on a rough dirt road, that's why it is edited out
Ridge Top Aerial (4 min 43 sec)
whirlcap is online now Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:03 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Quote:
Very, very good point! So, I guess here's the question of the hour (and once again, sorry if this has been recently addressed), but what seems to be the best combination for motor / speed control / battery / prop? And what about the Multiplex Himax Power Pack? Right now I'm kinda looking at either Castle Creations, FlightPower, or ElectriFly for the speed control, but I'm really open to anything. Also, does anyone have any experience with that aluminum motor mounting plate that I mentioned a few comments ago? The only thing that I would worry about is that by strengthening the mounting plate, I'd risk damaging the rest of the motor mount and nose in future mishaps. Thank again for all of the awesome advice and being so friendly to a rookie !

Stephen
I've been through a LOT with my MiniMag and now also have a second one flying. It's a long story but I'll try to keep it as short as possible.

When I got my first MiniMag I looked at that tiny 4 inch prop and decided no way that thing would fly plus it looks dumpy! So I installed a TowerPro 2408-21T from HK. I just bolted it directly to the front of the original motor mounting. Then put a 9/5 prop on it, 20A ESC and HK radio. Worked and looked great.

I flew it many times with no problems, but then, like you, the wind kicked up and I ended up with a nose in landing. With the motor hanging out like that it doesn't take too much of an angle for the spinner to hit the ground before the wheels, and when that happens it puts a lot of strain on the motor mount. So the motor mount broke and the motor separated completely from the nose of the plane.

But actually, I kind of liked that because it was much easier to glue the motor mount back into place that to try to repair the nose of the plane had it broken off. I had several of these incidents and on the last one I did some minor damage to the nose area around the motor mount. A good friend of mine volunteered to fix it up and he repair the foam damage, then mounted the motor like it was a tank to the front of the plane. Then he added a large (10 by something) folding prop which really stuck out in front of the plane. By this time I was also flying ailerons and I had everything set up exactly per the manual, with differential of 7/3 and all the other stuff. My friend laughed at the aileron settings so he set them to swing the full amount. He flies nothing but 3-chan motor, elevator and ailerons so he is a natural at aileron flying. He flew it ok, but it looked "hot" to me.

The next day I tried to fly it with his settings and it was squirrely as a monkey and there was no way for me to control it. This time, since the motor was mounted SO securely, when it ripped off it compressed the foam on one side of the nose. This foam is like steel when compressed so I'll have to build it up.

Chapter 2: I bought a second MiniMag and this time I built it exactly stock. Stock motor, ESC, wheels, etc. All I added was an orange RX and a 2S 1300 mAh Lipo. I just maidened this plane two days ago and I was SHOCKED at how well it flew! Plenty of power to climb steeply, but will slowly drift on by at 1/4 throttle. I had a hard time landing it because it just hung in the air. Really calm and peaceful plane to fly - 3 chan of course.

I flew it again this morning, did an ROG off a soccer field and it literally jumped into the air with a 5 mph head wind. Here's a shot of it climbing, with neutral elevator (as you can see). Right after this picture was taken I gave it a bit of down elevator to reduce the climb angle. Again it flew really well and landed nicely and rolled to a stop. (A few more words below the picture)

Regarding you putting the large slow fly prop on the stock motor, in my opinion, that is not a good idea. That motor is designed to provide max power at a very high rpm, and the stock prop is exactly the correct size for this motor. Again, in my opinion, when trying to spin that LARGE prop, the motor WILL definitely get hot and the current draw might easily be way over the ESC limit. I think most ESC's will shut down on over-current, but they might also burn up. Again, I'm no expert, this is just my intuitive thought.

I bought the Mutiplex Brushless Upgrade from Amazon, of all places. It's a brushless Inrunner which fits exactly in the same way as the stock motor. Along with the motor, the kit includes a Castle ESC and a 4 1/2 in prop. This is where I am going to go next and probably where I will leave this #2 Minimag. I will NOT add ailerons either - I see NO point in adding them, it only makes flying more difficult.

However, on MiniMag 1 I already have the ailerons added so will leave but I WILL set them up exactly per the manual. I'm going to take out the original plastice motor mount and come up with a way to mount a brushless outrunner completely inside the nose with just the motor shaft and prop sticking out. I'm hoping to create a more powerful plane with some aerobatic capabilities and a plane I can learn to fly 4 chan on.

Sorry for the long post, bottom line: the stock set up is JUST FINE! It's really a fun plane to fly, and for the price it's a bargain.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
As stated in an earlier post, the MiniMag IS discontinued. But there are still some stock around if you search. For example eBay has several RR models for $70.0 some each. But amazon.com had RTF models for $79.81. At that price you are basically getting all the radio gear for free.

I ordered one of the RTF models from Amazon for $75.00 (they keep changing the price) and got it the other day. Hitec bought out the Multiplex company so they took the standard RR MiniMag and added their brand of 4-chan transmitter and receiver. It also comes with TWO (2) huge, 7-cell NiMH battery packs (8.4 volts) and a battery charger. I was disappointed to find out the radio system was a 72 mHz system, with a long trailing wire on the plane, and a long, pull-out antenna on the transmitter.

I don't think I'll use the 72 mHz radio system, I'll pull it out and install a 2..4 GHz radio and use my DX6i for transmitter. So then if I'm not going to use the RTF radio, why did I buy a RTF plane. Just curious I guess and it didn't cost any more than the RR plane. I can put the 72 mHz radio system to use in some other project like adding PTZ to a surveillance camera.

Bottom line, you can get RTF MiniMag from Amazon for $79.81.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 03:29 AM
Germany
Joined Jun 2010
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
As stated in an earlier post, the MiniMag IS discontinued.
I think that's a false information. The MM ist still listed on the Multiplex website in Germany. So it should still be available in the U.S. too.
I can't figure any reason why they should discontinue it only in America
project80 is offline Find More Posts by project80
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:04 AM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
It is discontinued at Horizon Hobby - see screen shot below. You have to allow the search for discontinued models in order to see this. If you just search for MiniMag normally, you will not get any hits. Also I talked with Horizon Hobby and they confirmed that the MiniMag is a discontinued item.

Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
I've been through a LOT with my MiniMag and now also have a second one flying. It's a long story but I'll try to keep it as short as possible.
...edit...
Sorry for the long post, bottom line: the stock set up is JUST FINE! It's really a fun plane to fly, and for the price it's a bargain.
fotoflyer,

please don't apologize, your post is really nice and informative reading. Love the picture as well

You mention the bigger props, and I believe that those who use them also run brushless outrunners, that spins at much lower RPMs than the stocked brushed 400, 6V silvercan. Especially if you run it at 2S LiPo

I'm pretty new to the hobby, but started out on a 4ch model (TwinStar2), and only after 50-60 flights did I try a 3 channel plane (the dated, but lovely Multiplex PicoCub). My current EasyStar 2 was maidened as a 3 ch plane, but quickly received 2 more servos. I think it is EASIER to fly with ailerons than with only rudder. I do mix some rudder into the aileron channel, so I don't have to worry about constantly adding that manually.

If you wear out your Permax brushes, I have a few brand new motors with props lying around that I will ship to honourable RCG members for the postage.

I think I even have an original Multiplex reduction gear as well.
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
Some of you might be interested in this, copied from the Hitec website, which is here:
http://www.multiplexusa.com/index.html

In late 2002, the Hitec family grew with the acquisition of the German based Multiplex Corporation. With 50 years of R/C product experience, Multiplex has enjoyed the respect of serious R/C enthusiasts worldwide. Take time to navigate through the Multiplex line of R/C products on this website and we are sure you’ll agree the incomparable Multiplex ELAPOR foam models, radios, receivers, servos, motors, speed controls and battery chargers are among the finest available.

So Hitec owns the Mutiplex product line. I don't know why the German Multiplex website seems to indicate it still has these products, but I think that is wrong. Hitec bought the whole Multiplex line and all the inventory.

Hitec is the USA distributor for Multiplex products but you can't buy directly from them, you have to find a retailer who has the item you need. I suspect that ALL the MiniMag planes, both RR and RTF have been issued out to retailers and the retailers will sell the MiniMag planes until they run out of stock. This is what has already happened at Horizon Hobby. I bought my first MiniMag from them, but now they do not have any more. Amazon has a dozen or so left on their website. When these are sold it will become increasingly difficult to find ANY MiniMag. There are also a few spare parts out there but you have to search for them.

I actually now have four (4) of these MiniMags. I'll be flying three of them, in different configurations and I'll keep the 4th one for spare parts. I think it's a fun plane to fly and to learn on and I didn't want to not be able to repair them because spare parts were no longer available.

Gus