SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:30 AM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,103 Posts
Ok, today was the maiden. There is no rolling in grass with the stock wheels, but that won't be an issue when I go to floats. Took just a few clicks on the rudder, and ailerons, but a few more on the elevator to fly straight at WOT. After landing all the control surfaces were pretty much straight in line, so I'm guessing I was off from the get go. I did not go with the recommended throws on the ailerons. Using a Y cable for them makes it rather difficult to get a different up throw than down. I've been flying, and building planes for 8 years, and have never before come across a plane that required and different down throw than it did up. I'm using a 6 channel Rx, and a 9C, so I could easily set it up so, but I don't understand how you would do that without a computer radio?
At first I was thinking that this plane was a waste for me. I use to fly jets, so I like my planes fast. Haven't flown a "lazy" plane since my early days. Gotta say though, with 20 mins on a TP 2100 prolite at mostly WOT, it was a nice relaxing flight. Not a real sporty plane, but I can get myself into a little trouble with it by trying different things it's not designed to do, and that was enough to keep it interesting. Considering I put the whole thing together for less than $60, it's a nice little plane. Put a kill switch on it, so I can have a battery preloaded. Makes it a real nice grab and go plane.
Only thing I'm seeing that I don't like is the tendency for the nose to balloon up in a turn, and the elevator is VERY sensitive. The plane was clearly designed to be a 3 channel. I'll be adding expo to the elevator, and actually increasing the throw on it. Doesn't wanna do an inside loop. I could probably go with a 9" blade on this 370 motor, but I'm thinking a 450 might really be the motor for this bird.
As for landing....I actually had to fight this plane to land. Does not like to come back to earth. It literally sat down. Once the wheels touched the ground, it didn't move forward a micrometer. Smoothest landing I have ever had. All in all, I'm very happy with this project so far. Can't wait to get the floats.
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:37 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,693 Posts
Just FYI, the most recent airframe addition to the Phoenix RC flight sim is the Multiplex Minimag. IMHO they've done a good job of modeling the flight physics of this plane, though it's not exactly overpowered with the stock sim settings.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:52 AM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,103 Posts
I honestly can not imagine this thing flying with the stock motor and prop.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:05 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan View Post
Using a Y cable for them makes it rather difficult to get a different up throw than down. I've been flying, and building planes for 8 years, and have never before come across a plane that required and different down throw than it did up. I'm using a 6 channel Rx, and a 9C, so I could easily set it up so, but I don't understand how you would do that without a computer radio?
haha, aileron differential was around long before computer radios.... In fact most of the things computer radios do for us today used to be done mechanical.. computer radios just make it much easier.... to set up aileron differential using a y harness, you just have to turn your control horns on the servo. With the control horn parallel with the control surface, you will have the same throw both directions. But if you remove the control horn and rotate it a bit, then you will have more throw one way than the other.... Give it a try.... Many planes fly better with aileron differential.... Its certainly not "required" but it almost always helps.....

to get your started, with the minimag servos on the bottom of the wing, if you want more up travel than down, you want ther servo horn rotated so that when the servo is centerd, the horn is actualy pointing at a 45 degree angle toward the front of the plane, rather than at a 90 degree angle to the fusalage...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:09 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,103 Posts
Since the servos are glued in place....that won't be happening.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:25 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,924 Posts
You can also do it on the control surface end.... you just need angle the control arm. With the servos on the bottom of the wing i believe you would want the arm to angle toward the front of the plane.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:25 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,103 Posts
I have to admit that I was wondering how it was done before computer radios. That being said, it would be nice if the instructions mentioned any of that during the assembly stage. I believe it does state that one should "center servo arms before gluing servos in place".
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:48 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
I have to admit that I was wondering how it was done before computer radios. That being said, it would be nice if the instructions mentioned any of that during the assembly stage. I believe it does state that one should "center servo arms before gluing servos in place".
Coincidentally, I was just thinking about this earlier today. I was setting up another plane, and suddenly realized that I neglected to set the arms properly before installing aileron servos in the MiniMag. So one is angled forward, and one back. No big deal, though, as I haven't found differential to be that necessary on the Minimag. I had it enabled originally, but disabled it to get better roll response (still need more aileron throw), and because I wanted to de-couple yaw and roll as much as possible since this is my aileron trainer

That said I fixed this issue a while ago on an RTF by pushing a screwdriver through the wing foam at a shallow angle, starting a couple inches from the servo to get at the control arm screw. Worked great, and didn't mess up the foam too much.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:36 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
Quote:
I honestly can not imagine this thing flying with the stock motor and prop.
I fly mine with a 370 and a 9X5 prop. I now have 3 inch wheels on her and grass is no problem. The nose up in turns sounds like adverse yaw. Too much down on the ailerons enhances this from what little I know about it and that is what differential does help reduce. If you give the MM about 14 millimeter up and 7 down on the ailerons you will get a halfway decent roll rate. She should also loop fine with the 10mm up throw on the elevator. I'd consider doing the Velcro mod to reduce the main wing inclination with any motor other than the stock set up, it will fly better.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
6 months to finish a rtf
upstate ny
Joined Jun 2003
1,848 Posts
FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="5"][B]Strange Crash [/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

we had a hot spell so I decided to Maiden my new Mini on floats

well the maiden flight when well , I balanced on the mark , taxied
well - lifted off the water with no problem's flew well , with the
exception of noseing up in turns , very smooth and landed
back great

some minor adjustments , and moved the battery slightly foward
took off , turns were better , tryed a couple of stalls , with the extra
weight nose drops sharply , but recovered quickly
next try a loop , climbed up 3 mistakes high and did a large slow loop
well at the bottem the wing departed the aircraft . fluttering in the breze
the fuse and floats came down in a tree along the shore .

damage to fuse and float a couple of scratchs wing undamaged
so what happed
it appears not enough glue on the spar as when I recovered the fuse
it was still sitting attached to fuse
very little glue showing
pulsery2k1 is offline Find More Posts by pulsery2k1
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:16 AM
If it spins, wear it.
Northern Nevada
Joined Jan 2011
2,256 Posts
Wow, wing separated! Have not seen that one posted here from what I remember. Sorry to hear it, hope the damage isn't too bad, your paint and sticker job looks nice. I have crashed mine pretty hard a few times and have not broken any foam yet. I have only needed to re-glue the seam on top of the cowl. . Going to have a close look at the spare now too.
whirlcap is offline Find More Posts by whirlcap
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:44 AM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,103 Posts
I was gonna comment on the ONE screw holding the wing on, but it looks like the screw actually held.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:54 AM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
684 Posts
getting ready to take mine to the river for Maiden today.. recheck everything now... WHERES MY GLUE GUN
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
303 Posts
New MiniMag Owner - several questions

Most likely the answers to all my questions are in this thread somewhere but finding them would take an awfully long time. I've already spent 6 hours reading the posts from the beginning and I am only on Page 23. Your replies to this direct approach would be much appreciated.

I have several questions so in order not to get all of us too confused, I'm going to enter separate posts for the different questions. This will be question #1.

Nice plane, nice price, but the little prop looks silly on the plane. I had an extra brushless motor and ESC laying around so pulled the brushed motor and ESC and installed my BL motor. My BL motor is an outrunner with a diameter too large to fit inside the motor mount, so I just attached it to the front of the motor mount. I hangs out in front too far and with the prop adapter it looks a little goofy and exposed. The motor I used is a HK Towerpro 2408-21T, 1400 Kv using a 20A ESC and a 2S 1300mAh Lipo. I've flown it many times (3 chan) and it flies just fine.

But that motor hanging out in front is an invitation to damage. I have already had some too steep landings that bent, later broke, the motor mount, and also have bent the shaft on two motors. So I need a motor that will fit INSIDE the motor mount.

Sorry about the long background, but the question is simple. What brushless motor do you guys recommend for this MiniMag? And how is it mounted so it fits inside the cowl? Thanks!
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:10 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,924 Posts
IMO, it works better with the motor hanging outside, easier to balance with lighter batteries.... Keep what you got and work on your landings . If you are worried about damage, just put the brushed motor back in and take off and land 100 times, you will be GTG with your original setup after that!.