HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:41 PM
Ya gotta land eventually...
United States, NY, Mahopac
Joined Sep 2010
1,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMorgan View Post
Planning on putting floats on this. If I find the need for more power at that point I may go with a Park 450. I'll just swap the one out on my MUS for a 480, and life will be good. Right now I'm using this motor:

http://www.nitroplanes.com/al3701brmo2.html

Running with a GWS 8040 (what ever that means), which I'm guessing is an 8" prop. Pulling 110 watts and 10 amps static, so I'm just within range of the limits of the motor. Was hopping to run a 10x7E on it, because I intend to use a 3s 2200mAh, but that prop jumped it to 200 watts, and 20 amps. Motor was a bit warm. Should be enough power with the 8040. Use the same prop on my Cessna foamie with the 2408 motor, and it's pretty Zippy for what it is. For whatever reason I can't seem to find suggested props sizes for this motor from the manufacturer anywhere. Hope to finish the build, and maiden her from land by early next week. Not expecting a speed demon, but hope to get enough power to fly off the lake.

Not aout the motor being warm nearly as much as what the ESC is rated for. Remember whatever you'll at a static WOT test. That is what theESC is running all the time..this is a major reason for brown outs..esc overload.

David

Ps 8040 means 8" length and 4" pitch
Davey NY is offline Find More Posts by Davey NY
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2012, 04:09 PM
Denmark, kbh
Joined Jan 2012
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX View Post

...I did change the wing angle just as some of you guys suggested in past pages...two pieces of velcro under the trailing edge but I didn't touch the motor mount.....

... I'm tempted to try a 7x6 or an 8x5(ish) but I really like that the motor, esc and battery come down at near-ambient temps, even after hard flying...

....the fact that keeps coming back to me is that if the box has a "MULTIPLEX" logo on it, you can be just about certain that it will be a superb kit....
MRGTX,

My wing incidence didn't change much when I added the the velcro; Only the trailing edge of the wing was bent upwards. Yours may have done the same.

I use an 8x4.5 with a (less potent 2822mm) 1200kV outrunner on 1300mAh 3S, which seems to work very well. Probably less noisy than with a 7" prop. No verticals for sure, but 20-25 min of easy flying (without wheels).

I'm so with you on the MULTIPLEX logo thing; I just ordered two new kits; A small Merlin to bring on our vacation to France in a few weeks, and an EasyStar 2 for my FPV aspirations. Up till now my hanger houses (in order of arrival withing the last 7 months):

MPX TwinStar 2
AXN FloaterJet
MPX PicoCub
MPX MiniMag
Scratchbuild 170gr simple foamie
Scratchbuild 230gr Sopwith Camel (Flies ok, but suffers from high drag)

Happy landings
mike_o is online now Find More Posts by mike_o
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:14 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Planning on putting floats on this. If I find the need for more power at that point I may go with a Park 450. I'll just swap the one out on my MUS for a 480, and life will be good. Right now I'm using this motor:

Running with a GWS 8040 (what ever that means), which I'm guessing is an 8" prop. Pulling 110 watts and 10 amps static, so I'm just within range of the limits of the motor. Was hopping to run a 10x7E on it, because I intend to use a 3s 2200mAh, but that prop jumped it to 200 watts, and 20 amps. Motor was a bit warm. Should be enough power with the 8040. Use the same prop on my Cessna foamie with the 2408 motor, and it's pretty Zippy for what it is. For whatever reason I can't seem to find suggested props sizes for this motor from the manufacturer anywhere. Hope to finish the build, and maiden her from land by early next week. Not expecting a speed demon, but hope to get enough power to fly off the lake.
Yes, the 8040 prop is 8" in diameter...and there are a lot of sizes to try between 8x4 and 10x7.

If you do end up going with the eFlite 450 890kv, it will spin a 10x8 with no problem.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Jun 09, 2012, 07:53 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
Quote:

im using a eflite 450 a 9x6 apc prop 2200mah 3 cell,
mine is loaded with 200 led lights and a 450 3 cell to run leds,
20 mins flights using throttle at ease,
nice flier even in darkness...
dazza44 is offline Find More Posts by dazza44
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:04 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,101 Posts
Been thinking about LEDs a lot lately.

Got any pics of that puppy lit up?
JCMorgan is offline Find More Posts by JCMorgan
Old Jun 09, 2012, 01:05 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,101 Posts
Wow. Just noticed the decals are not die cut.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Wow. Just noticed the decals are not die cut.
First Multiplex plane? They're never precut.
MRGTX is offline Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:32 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,101 Posts
Just have to adjust the throws, and balance, and I'm ready to fly. However, I still worried that I need less right angle on the motor. Ran it on the driveway and it pulled strong to the right. Also worried about the stock wheels in grass. She did not want to roll on the lawn.
Still thinking about upgrading to a bigger motor, too. Holding it in my hand at full throttle, and it just doesn't seem powerful enough. Guess I won't really know the answer to any of this until I get it in the air.

On another note: Didn't go with the steerable tail wheel. I'll have to add that when I go to floats. I did, however, add a stationary tail wheel thinking it might help in the grass. It didn't.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,698 Posts
I put some 2 1/2" dubro wheels on mine, its a dream even on grass...: For the thrust angle, if it looks like a little too much, its probably just about right.... I just used what was molded into the front of the plane for mine. (I glued a stick in to mount my motor...)

dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:01 AM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
Quote:
Been thinking about LEDs a lot lately.

Got any pics of that puppy lit up?
couple of pics from flight last night,
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:18 PM
Krueminator
United States
Joined Apr 2012
1,101 Posts
dazza44 :
Wow! That's hot! I have GOT to get into night flying.

dacaur:
My motor angle is nowhere near as right as that. Does she taxi straight?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:01 PM
Build, fly, crash. Repeat.
Switzerland, Canton of Neuchâtel, Neuchâtel
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza44 View Post
couple of pics from flight last night,
Nice. I'm starting to wonder if I can setup my MM on floats with the same thing... Probably a good idea to have a couple of LEDs as "landing lights" so I can see the water before landing.
Goeland86 is offline Find More Posts by Goeland86
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:04 PM
who put that tree there
Joined Jun 2010
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeland86 View Post
Nice. I'm starting to wonder if I can setup my MM on floats with the same thing... Probably a good idea to have a couple of LEDs as "landing lights" so I can see the water before landing.
green n yellow leds underneath wings and fuze lights up the ground from quite a height..
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:06 PM
Build, fly, crash. Repeat.
Switzerland, Canton of Neuchâtel, Neuchâtel
Joined Feb 2007
652 Posts
good to know, thanks!
Goeland86 is offline Find More Posts by Goeland86
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:21 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,698 Posts
Quote:
dacaur:
My motor angle is nowhere near as right as that. Does she taxi straight?
Yea it taxi's OK.... My guess is your non-steerable tail-wheel is the reason yours pulls to the right,,, try tweaking it a bit...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur