HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:31 AM
Joined Dec 2009
536 Posts
power systems

While we are discussing power systems, I run an parkzone f-27c brushless inrunner with a 7x4x3 apc prop and its a blast, I put supercub floats on it and to be honest it flies like a thompson cup racer more than a trainer now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
I am less worried about broken props, but don't want the prop to strike the waves during take-off from water or do extensive grass cutting on our flying field.

Jürgen
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:40 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoffa View Post
While we are discussing power systems, I run an parkzone f-27c brushless inrunner with a 7x4x3 apc prop and its a blast, I put supercub floats on it and to be honest it flies like a thompson cup racer more than a trainer now
Great looking plane, but the flying site is even better! It's hard not to feel envious. Us inner-city types can't hope for much more than some muddy puddle somewhere, and even then access is likely to be restricted.

I can't see a rudder in your photos. Does it steer alright and maintain course during take-offs even without a rudder?

EDIT: After looking a bit more closely, did you add a downward-projecting fin to give it more directional stability?
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Jun 17, 2011, 02:40 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,583 Posts
The thing about an overpowerd plane, is that you dont HAVE to use all that throttle.... If you think you might not be able to controll yourself, set the throttle endpoint lower...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jun 17, 2011, 03:04 PM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
347 Posts
I did that, but as a safeguard had the lower endpoint switched in. I think I had it too low though as it was struggling to climb out. Thats when I switched back to full power in a hope to get it to climb. As I said in the thread, for some reason the motor cut for a few seconds then went full power. By that time it was pointing at the ground and the inevitable happened.

As a side note. I am just putting the motor back but the holes in the plastic mount glued into the fuselage are a bit worn now. Two of them just go around and around. Other than another mount or larger screws I might be stuck.
Roblister is offline Find More Posts by Roblister
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:07 AM
Joined Dec 2009
536 Posts
mini-mag got back!

Yes I added a 2/32 plywood fin under the main vertical member. If you try to fly on floats without one you will be lucky to land in one piece, I ignored multiplex directions the first time I tired it and got lucky to flop it down in one piece. The rudder that comes on the plane works pretty well for steering at low speed and once the plane is up on step, when it is plowing along you haven't got much control but that phase of take off is short and as long as the floats have some toe in they will track straight during this part of your takeoff run. Believe it or not the flying site is one of Broome County NY's public parks, and its 5 miles from the county courthouse more or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Great looking plane, but the flying site is even better! It's hard not to feel envious. Us inner-city types can't hope for much more than some muddy puddle somewhere, and even then access is likely to be restricted.

I can't see a rudder in your photos. Does it steer alright and maintain course during take-offs even without a rudder?

EDIT: After looking a bit more closely, did you add a downward-projecting fin to give it more directional stability?
cgoffa is offline Find More Posts by cgoffa
Old Jun 18, 2011, 09:42 AM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Yes.

2200kv inrunner + 3S + 6x4E + 30A ESC is just about the most common configuration for both Minimags and EasyStars.
Slight change of plan. My 2200Kv wasn't too well after all. It looks like the last knock it took has done more damage than I thought. Chap at local model shop had used a different motor in his apparently with a lot of success. A Tornado Thumper C2830 850kv outrunner. It's a 280W 20A max motor and should be a bit calmer than the 2200 with a 6x4. I will put a 9x6 slow fly on this motor. Not sure if I should use a 3S or 2S battery though. I know I will need to do a bit of surgery on the mount before it fits.
Last edited by Roblister; Jun 18, 2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 04:21 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
843 Posts
Definitely 3s.. you will never want to go back to 2s
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:49 AM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
Don't know if I agree here. The cool thing about the minimag is, on 2s it can be a smooth relaxing flyer and on 3s it can be more sporty. It just depends on what type of flying you prefer. Lately I like mine with 8x3.8 slofly prop on 2s, but my motor esc combo can handle a 7x5 Thin Electric Prop on 3s as well.
heymak is offline Find More Posts by heymak
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:03 AM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heymak View Post
Don't know if I agree here. The cool thing about the minimag is, on 2s it can be a smooth relaxing flyer and on 3s it can be more sporty. It just depends on what type of flying you prefer. Lately I like mine with 8x3.8 slofly prop on 2s, but my motor esc combo can handle a 7x5 Thin Electric Prop on 3s as well.
Is that with a similar 850kv motor?
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:11 AM
Long time newbie
USA, TX, Katy
Joined Nov 2006
976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblister View Post
Is that with a similar 850kv motor?
My bad saw the 2200kv, with 850kv you're right, you would probably need a bigger prop than woulld fit the minimag with 2s. 3s is the way to go. Sorry if I cause any confusion.
heymak is offline Find More Posts by heymak
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:29 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I fly mine on 3s 1300's with a 400 outrunner that is about 950 KV and an APC 8x3.8 SF prop. It flies fine. Yours will be overpowered, but as someone said, you don't need to use all the throotle just because it is there.

wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jun 19, 2011, 12:33 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
I use 3 cell packs on my planes not because I get more power, but becuase I can buy cheaper batteries and cheaper (lower amp) esc's....

In my experience, the same perfomance that takes 20 amps on a 2 cell pack, takes 12 amps on a 3 cell pack so, as an example, I can pay $15 for an 8c 2000mah battery instead of $30 for a 20C 2000mah battery....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:59 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,573 Posts
I used to fly mostly 2 cells on my parkflyers. Then I discovered that a smaller 3 cell, weighing not much more than the 2 cell, will only need 50-60% power to fly, instead of 80-90%. So it flys about the same duration as the 2 cell, at the 2 cell speed, but you have a bunch of extra power if you need it and the motor is more efficent.
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jun 21, 2011, 12:43 AM
Wind Rider
United States, CO
Joined Dec 2006
986 Posts
Hi Guys,

I used to have the Mini Mag and loved it! I'm thinking about getting another one soon - just saw that BP Hobbies has the RR version for $79 and thought I would share the price in case anyone else was interested.

The only thing I've ordered from them before was some Easy Star parts and it was a good experience.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the MPX Easy Cub or Fun Cub flies in direct comparison to the Mini Mag?

Thanks,
Michael
eagleswings is offline Find More Posts by eagleswings
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:26 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I have an Easy Cub. I think is is a better 3 channel plane than the Mini-Mag on 3 channels. It is a very smooth airplane. More dihedral than the Mini Mag

Have not flown my MM on 4 channels yet, so don't know how it compares to the Fun Cub

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde