Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 05, 2011, 06:44 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekajo View Post
I am in the process of putting together a mini mag with floats. I already own an ARC 28 47 3 motor. Weight is 110 grams and KV is 1500. Will the weight of the motor be too much?
Well, it will work, but wont really be ideal... Besides weighing 3.5 ounces, which isnt great, but isnt the end of the world, its an inrunner, so it wont be as efficient at swinging as big a prop as as outrunner, it seems a motor like that would be better suited for a faster, low drag plane in a high volt application. Or a big slow prop with a gearbox....

You planning to use 2cell or 3 cell? With 2 cells, go with an 8x4 prop and see how she flies if thats not happy try a 9x4 (9x3.8?).... ... if going with a 3 cell, try a 7x4...

IMO though a 1200-1500kv outrunner on 3 cells with an 8x4 would be a better choice... it would weigh 1/3 as much and give you better performance on less amps....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:50 AM
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
Thanks, probably should go to plan B
tekajo is offline Find More Posts by tekajo
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:32 PM
yukon canada
Joined Aug 2007
81 Posts
Here is my Minimag, impatient for summer! Boy is it fun to fly off the snow though...

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
lledwod is offline Find More Posts by lledwod
Last edited by lledwod; Mar 07, 2011 at 06:37 PM. Reason: oops douple photos
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:55 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,642 Posts
cool, what floats are those?
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Mar 07, 2011, 07:08 PM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
676 Posts
nice paint scheme lledwod !! i recently got my MM floats but aint maiden yet. prolly in a few days though.
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:15 PM
yukon canada
Joined Aug 2007
81 Posts
Dacaur, those are the multiplex floats. I am impressed with how well the minimag flys with floats!
Old Mar 08, 2011, 02:24 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
I'm loving the colour scheme. Did you use the multiplex primer and paints?
I may consider doing this myself!!
Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Mar 08, 2011, 08:28 PM
yukon canada
Joined Aug 2007
81 Posts
The paint was easy, can of spray paint from the hardware store (tested inside the canopy first) And the masking was quick with paper, masking tape and a razor. I did not prep the foam either, no sanding or cleaning. seems to be fine.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:15 AM
Greece
Joined Apr 2004
194 Posts
Minimag with navigation lights

This is my Minimag with custom paint and navigation lights installed.

It flyies great, slow and stable and also glides almost as well as an Easystar.

Only problem is that it requires a lot of aileron trim (see picture) to fly staright and level. This is both with motor on and off so it's not the thrust angle.

Any thoughts ?
glaros is offline Find More Posts by glaros
Last edited by glaros; Mar 13, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 04:54 PM
yukon canada
Joined Aug 2007
81 Posts
Nice paint Glaros. Purty!
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:44 PM
Joined Nov 2010
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinske View Post
I've found that putting a 1/8" shim (like Velcro) under the rear edge of the wing helps quite a bit. It also has the benefit of keeping the wing straight and aligned. You don't need much, like a 3/8" wide piece, one on the wing, the other on the fuse. It gives enough change to the Angle of Incidence to the wing to make a difference.
Great tip. I tried this on my Minimag over the weekend and it really flew great. Winds were pretty high, around 8-10mph and some high gusts, around 20mph. This plane was just fantastic, very controllable. The hardest thing was just trying to get it to land it just wants to float and the gusts didn’t help. However, after a little practice (I'm learning) I was able to almost stop all forward movement and just set it down.

Great plane!!
hudsonflyer is offline Find More Posts by hudsonflyer
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:20 PM
I don't need no stink'n nitro!
Thompsons Stn, TN
Joined Nov 2008
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaros View Post
Only problem is that it requires a lot of aileron trim (see picture) to fly staright and level. This is both with motor on and off so it's not the thrust angle.

Any thoughts ?
Did you check for wing twist? I know it's a foamy, but I've seen it happen before with EPO wings...

Have you checked the axial balance? Try taping a coin or two under the starboard wing...

I'm guessing you've already checked the rudder alignment... Still might fly better with a little right rudder trim, rather than all that aileron.

Just some thoughts....
moonpock is offline Find More Posts by moonpock
Old Mar 18, 2011, 01:48 AM
Greece
Joined Apr 2004
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpock View Post
Did you check for wing twist? I know it's a foamy, but I've seen it happen before with EPO wings...

Have you checked the axial balance? Try taping a coin or two under the starboard wing...

I'm guessing you've already checked the rudder alignment... Still might fly better with a little right rudder trim, rather than all that aileron.

Just some thoughts....
Thanks!

I am not sure how I could check for wing twist but I will certainly check the axial balance.

So you recon it is better to compensate wil rudder trim rather than aileron?
glaros is offline Find More Posts by glaros
Old Mar 18, 2011, 09:20 AM
I don't need no stink'n nitro!
Thompsons Stn, TN
Joined Nov 2008
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaros View Post
Thanks!

I am not sure how I could check for wing twist but I will certainly check the axial balance.

So you recon it is better to compensate wil rudder trim rather than aileron?
I've just found that any problem with rudder trim can "look" like a problem with aileron trim... The MiniMag was designed to fly as a three channel plane, so the dihedral is VERY effective. You just might want to try it...

An easy way to check for wing twist is to tape a length of pushrod, cf rod, etc to a flat area on the bottom of the wing near each wing tip. You can really use anything on hand, as long as it's a foot long or so... I like to use bamboo skewers, since I always have them laying around. Then, with the two "sticks" in place, you can look down the length of the wing and they should align with each other... If they don't, somethings twisted.
moonpock is offline Find More Posts by moonpock
Old Mar 26, 2011, 02:09 PM
Joined Jan 2008
9 Posts
Hey all,
Have been flying the MM for some time now ... Love the little bird !
First flights i used the permax 400 motor and the standard prop <--- lack of power imo !

After that i tested the 400 motor with a 6/3'' graupner fold prop and 6/4'' APC <--- sound was better, power almost the same :- Then i ordered a towerpro-combo (1000kv) @ HK with a SF prop 8/3.8'' <--- What a difference ! Flew really nice and smooth on 2S lipo ... transformed into a little devil on 3S (vertical take-offs )

Think i asked a little to much from the towerpro 2409-12 motor ... windings broke so this 1 wont fly anymore Common problem with this motors so ive heard

Tested the MM today with a Turnigy TR 35-36A (1450kv) motor and plush 40 Amp ESC / graupner cam fold prop 9/6'' with turbospinner (came from graupner junior s)

Was a bit windy so i decided to go with the 3S 2200 mAh lipo ...

Take-off after 2 meters followed by a gentil rise to higher air (so far so good )

When the MM was high enough to gain confidence, i decided to throttle up ...

Nice straight flight with very good airspeed

However, when i turned the MM around (left turn) and tried to make a short pass flyby, the MM didnt respond to the elevator-input i was giving :S

I was in a dive to gain some speed (wind from head of plane) and tried to pull up, but no respons ??? Even when throttle was cut ??? Nice crash was the result (how can a crash be nice ?)

Damage report : Wing, no damage, only nylon bolt came off (lost the bolt, but hey, who's complaining ) Damn this Elapor is though !!!

My question is .... Could the MM been to heavy for the MPX-servo to move the elevator on this speed ? Have the original red MPX servo's that came with the kit installed.

AUW was 750 grams ... I know its 1/2 more then stock setup, but i really thought the MM could handle it ...

Really could use some info on this problem, cause when i get a nylon bolt the same size, i could try it again, but not to keen on that tbh without some confirmation i'm doing the right thing !

Sorry for the bad English (from Belgium) and you should know i'm not a technician ... just a guy who learned it the hard (crash and repair) way never visited a flying club, maybe i should ... heard that before

Thnx in advance
yanlar is offline Find More Posts by yanlar
Last edited by yanlar; Mar 26, 2011 at 02:44 PM.