SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:36 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,037 Posts
I'm flying a 6100 in a Funjet, and I have never lost signal. They probably have range better than our visual limitation.
restlessswind is online now Find More Posts by restlessswind
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:15 AM
Joined Nov 2010
9 Posts
Which brushless motor to buy for minimag?

Which brushless motor to buy for minimag. I want that fits the original engine mount. I would not do a lot of changes on the plane. I prefer Hobby King. Please advice or a link to the engine. It should not be too strong, but it still has enough power. And of course not too expensive.
doms is offline Find More Posts by doms
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:24 AM
Clintonville, WI
Joined Jun 2008
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doms View Post
Which brushless motor to buy for minimag. I want that fits the original engine mount. I would not do a lot of changes on the plane. I prefer Hobby King. Please advice or a link to the engine. It should not be too strong, but it still has enough power. And of course not too expensive.
The one Multiplex recommends is the Himax HC2815-2000 brushless inrunner motor and I find is the best. HK B2835-2200 is a replacement for the Himax and will fit the MM motor mount. I use a 40A Turnigy Plush ESC because it will handle other motors I have. I think a 25A will do. Watch the shaft, since it breaks easily in a tough landing, and there is no replacement shaft available. Use a 6x4E APC prop. The motor is inexpensive, so buy a spare.
blinske is offline Find More Posts by blinske
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:07 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2009
140 Posts
I use the HK2835 also but for relaxed flying prefer to use a 7x5 on 7.4v rather than the 6x4 on 11.5 volts.
jewfish is offline Find More Posts by jewfish
Old Nov 03, 2010, 02:46 PM
Clintonville, WI
Joined Jun 2008
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jewfish View Post
I use the HK2835 also but for relaxed flying prefer to use a 7x5 on 7.4v rather than the 6x4 on 11.5 volts.
Actually, on my second MM I use a Himax HC2816-1100 witha 8x6E APC prop. Works extremely well, however, you have to watch the internal clearance of the outrunner motor. Takes off in about 10 ft. and climbs right out. Flies slower than my inrunner motor with a smaller prop. I use 11.1V 3S2100 20C LiPos on both.
blinske is offline Find More Posts by blinske
Old Nov 03, 2010, 04:40 PM
Joined Nov 2010
9 Posts
So can I use and outrunner motor? These engines are slightly cheaper and so far I've used them in other planes. But what about the angle of the engine? Does the engine must be tilted down right? On my other planes must.
Old Nov 03, 2010, 09:24 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,346 Posts
the stock motor mount has the down and right built in. (actualy its molded into the foam)
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Nov 03, 2010, 10:00 PM
Paso Robles, CA
Joined Jul 2010
180 Posts
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...&ref=SC2215-18

http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...&ref=MDMTPLXMM

Dan set me up with this and my Mag goes vertical with authority...speed is excellent. Very simple to install and no garbage motor mounts. The machined aluminum mount screws directly into the original pattern..no mod needed.

Pull your motor mount tunnel and epoxy back in. Take a dremel with a drum sander and open up the bottom of the tunnel for your motor wires to lay in.

This is a very easy mod to perform. I would suggest buying a half dozen motor shafts also if you nose it. We have had this setup for 8 months and it just always performs and makes you smile. I have 25 planes, all makes and the MM is a pleasure especially with a modded wing and bigger throws ....

Needs all of 2 feet for take off or just hold the fuse, point it vertical, throttle it up and watch it rocket up..

I have the MM big brother the Magistar and it makes the MM anemic in power with my THRUST40 motor...something about a 5lb foam plane that screams http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=418 throwing a 14 x 7 VOX prop, 500 watts 2500gr thrust... it flat out makes you laugh to see that thing launch like a bat out of hell

I am by no means a Scorpion fan but in this plane it is exceptional for power/weight/ punch out power. I have considered swapping the motor for a THRUST10 for even more power, less weight and even more punch out power.

This setup makes IMO the MM fly much easier. Hated the stock setup, barely flew. I prefer the 11.1v setup. FT is about 10 minutes and that is a lot of WOT flying
Flying_Old_Man is offline Find More Posts by Flying_Old_Man
Last edited by Flying_Old_Man; Nov 03, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2010, 06:49 AM
Southwest VA, USA
Joined Apr 2008
194 Posts
Quote:
Check this out, http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...s-Motor/Detail
0leur is online now Find More Posts by 0leur
Old Nov 04, 2010, 04:39 PM
Joined Nov 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Old_Man View Post
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...&ref=SC2215-18

http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/inde...&ref=MDMTPLXMM

Dan set me up with this and my Mag goes vertical with authority...speed is excellent. Very simple to install and no garbage motor mounts. The machined aluminum mount screws directly into the original pattern..no mod needed.

Pull your motor mount tunnel and epoxy back in. Take a dremel with a drum sander and open up the bottom of the tunnel for your motor wires to lay in.

This is a very easy mod to perform. I would suggest buying a half dozen motor shafts also if you nose it. We have had this setup for 8 months and it just always performs and makes you smile. I have 25 planes, all makes and the MM is a pleasure especially with a modded wing and bigger throws ....

Needs all of 2 feet for take off or just hold the fuse, point it vertical, throttle it up and watch it rocket up..

I have the MM big brother the Magistar and it makes the MM anemic in power with my THRUST40 motor...something about a 5lb foam plane that screams http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/p...ls.php?pid=418 throwing a 14 x 7 VOX prop, 500 watts 2500gr thrust... it flat out makes you laugh to see that thing launch like a bat out of hell

I am by no means a Scorpion fan but in this plane it is exceptional for power/weight/ punch out power. I have considered swapping the motor for a THRUST10 for even more power, less weight and even more punch out power.

This setup makes IMO the MM fly much easier. Hated the stock setup, barely flew. I prefer the 11.1v setup. FT is about 10 minutes and that is a lot of WOT flying

I'm not sure I understand. I do not know English best. Do you have any picture minimag with those mounted engine? Like solution with inrunner engine, but could not get to Croatia. Mostly I order from Hobby King.

I ordered this engine so I will see what will happen. If there is no good for minimag, I will buy another.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2104
Last edited by doms; Nov 04, 2010 at 06:16 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2010, 05:14 AM
Joined Feb 2009
31 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand. I do not know English best. Do you have any picture minimag with those mounted engine? Like solution with inrunner engine, but could not get to Croatia. Mostly I order from Hobby King.

I ordered this engine so I will see what will happen. If there is no good for minimag, I will buy another.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=2104
for my sort knowledge it is a fine motor. You can still put it in front of the Minimag's motor mount just by gluing the motor mount 3 cm's back of the place that the manual shows. A 8x6 or 9x5 prop will be fine for torque and not for speed.
gharar is offline Find More Posts by gharar
Old Nov 05, 2010, 08:50 AM
Joined Nov 2010
9 Posts
That's what I thought. It seems to me a good idea.
Old Nov 08, 2010, 05:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharar View Post
for my sort knowledge it is a fine motor. You can still put it in front of the Minimag's motor mount just by gluing the motor mount 3 cm's back of the place that the manual shows. A 8x6 or 9x5 prop will be fine for torque and not for speed.
For example. What would be the propeller was a good choice for higher speed?
Old Nov 09, 2010, 05:35 AM
Joined Feb 2009
31 Posts
Quote:
For example. What would be the propeller was a good choice for higher speed?
it is not just the prop, but you can use a smaller e.g. 8x5 or 7x6 keeping in mind that they are in the motors specs prop range.
For speed you can use a more KV motor e.g. 1500 or 2000 with a smaller prop. For one more time i have to mention that every motor can handle a range of props in combination with the ESC and the battery of course.
gharar is offline Find More Posts by gharar
Last edited by gharar; Nov 09, 2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 04:52 PM
Joined Nov 2010
9 Posts
Minimag custom motor mount

If anyone has an idea how to make a motor mount? I'm not satisfied with the original. No fits my engine that I have. I'm a little redesign the original motor mount, but now it seems too weak. Each figure is appreciated. I have some ideas but would rather see the engine mount that someone has already made.