SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2008, 07:34 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruji
Yup, ive been having a great time with this plane. The wing angle mod and some added down thrust have made this plane fly great. It rolls great, got a few hammerheads in too. The ESC gets very warm, not sure if this is normal. Could probably use some more airflow in the cavity.

good idea on the heated screw driver. i was thinking along the same lines but wanted see what others have done.

are these the replacement bolts?
http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...&cat=91&page=1

the manual says 5x50mm can these be found at a hardware store?

Yes, that is the correct screw. You can reference MPX parts on thier site ..

www.multiplex-rc.de/

select the english language and then begin digging around. Just use the digits, 713340. You can also go the the Gemini plane and click on accessories or parts.

Glad the mods worked for you and that you are enjoying the Minimag. The velcro at the back of the wing makes a worlds difference in how the plane flies.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Nov 17, 2008 at 09:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:15 PM
US
Joined Dec 2007
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
You could run an HXT 2835 (380S) 2200kv on both models. As the max. diameter of the prop is limited on the EasyStar, you may want to use a 3 cell setup here.

The HXT500/900 are no match for a HiTec HS-55. They lack resolution and precision.

Jürgen
Thanks!
I plan to use 3S 2200mAh Lipo only.
Is APC 5.5 x 4.5 Speed 400 Electric Propeller - LP05545 (which comes with MiniMag/Easy Star Power Pack), the best choice for HXT 2835 (380S) 2200kv Inrunner + TURNIGY Plush 25amp ESC combo ?
userrc is offline Find More Posts by userrc
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:02 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,654 Posts
userrc,

that motor is essentially the same motor as the Himax 2815-2000 that comes in the Power Pack. I would suggest doing a search in this thread using the word Himax, or 2000 or using my user ID. You will find plenty of info that you can use. In short, try the 6x5 APC on a 3s lipo.

You should trust Jurgen on his servo recommendation. The man knows what he is talking about.

When you have the money, you should also consider investing in an watt meter. This will give you the amps and watts for a motor/propeller/voltage combination. They are generally $50 and will save you from burning up a $50 ESC or motor. The watt meter is pretty much a must if you are going to fly electrics.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Nov 17, 2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:11 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,654 Posts
eruji,

If you want to up the fun a bit on the MM, remove the gear and then double check the balance. The plane flys quite a bit different with the gear removed and in the air has a real nice appearance.

Of course you would need grass to land in. What you would want to do is to cover the bottom of the MM with water based polyurathane ( WBPU ) or spray can clear coat. You can use the Cabots or MinWax WBPU and brush it on or try the Model Master rattle can clear coat. You get more bang for your buck if you get a small can of the Cabot's WBPU. Make sure it is water based, the oil base will likely eat up the foam.

On the hand launch do this: learn to throw left handed. Just do it. Make yourself throw left handed. Put your transmitter in your right hand, go full throttle and then apply just a smidge of up elevator. Now, with your left hand, hold the MM from the bottom of the fuse and just under the wing .. pretty much at the balance point. Now face into the wind and at about a 30 degree up angle give the plane a firm toss into the air and off your plane will go into the wide blue yonder.

I don't like right handed throws as you must hold the TX in your left hand and after the throw you have to find the elevator stick with your right hand. Many people do it that way but there is too much room for error. Learn the left hand toss and you will always have elevator and aileron control of your plane.

On your crash ... how did you have the flaps configured and what radio are you using? Personally, on my MM I only use about 3mm or so of flaps. This gives enough camber to provide some additional lift when I have the MM high in the sky and into the wind. This camber also improves the flight characteristics just a tad. I prefer to use spoilers to bleed off speed and put the plane down on the ground. On spoilers, I up them about 12mm or so.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lou; Nov 17, 2008 at 11:18 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:45 PM
"plane don't hurt"
Mountain Home Village, CA
Joined Aug 2005
445 Posts
Quote:
If you want to up the fun a bit on the MM, remove the gear
i will try this the next time the gear rips off

my first flights ever on the minimag were hand launches, it took off just fine. Im going to have to practice the left handed launch though, never tried that.

Quote:
how did you have the flaps configured and what radio are you using?
im using the dx6i tx and i originally had it setup with spoilerons, so i programed the flaps switch on the tx to full deflection up.

the day we recorded i tried full deflection down for flaps and did one successful landing with them, i noticed then that it did veer a bit and that i had to counteract with the elevator. So i added a bit of elevator to my flaps settings. And that was that...

It was more for experimentation, it lands fine without spoilerons or flaps. Since the crash, i recentered my aileron servos and zeroed out my tx. now how do i accurately measure the up and down throws of the control surfaces? do i just put a ruler perpendicular to the trailing edge and measure?

Quote:
MM I only use about 3mm or so of flaps.
haha mine were on full so probably in the 10-12mm range if not more.

its fun being a newbie!
eruji is offline Find More Posts by eruji
Old Nov 18, 2008, 07:11 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,654 Posts
This is a good plane to fun around and play with.

I like dealing in metric so to measure my control surface travel I use a small metric ruler made of metal. I move the aileron up and then measure from the edge of the aileron to the edge of the wing where the aileron would sit when in the neutral position.

You should also zero out all radio trim and zero your servos before doing the measuring and adjustment. Get you servos to neutral first, adjust the aileron to be flush with the wing and then do the settings to get your travel.

Once you have the max physical travel you want on the aileron you can then use your radio to set up dual rates on one of the switches on your radio. Flip the switch one way and your aileron deflection may be 12mm. Flip the switch the other way and the aileron deflection may only be 6mm.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:36 AM
"plane don't hurt"
Joined Aug 2005
445 Posts
okay, ive got the multiplex nylon bolts on order, but i did find a metal bolt at the hardware store that fits.

its 10-32x2" they had it in zinc and brass, so i chose brass. does anyone know which is heavier? and will either cause interference?
Old Nov 20, 2008, 06:26 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,654 Posts
Not sure if 10-32 works to be the same as the metric or not. I would be cautious though in using that metal bolt.

First, the metal bolt may strip or cut the plastic threads in the retainer, and second, the metal bolt will not shear/break like the nylon so this means that in a crash the wing or more may be damaged as the metal bolt will not shear like the nylon bolt. You would do well to wait for the nylon bolts to arrive.

As for weight, I believe that the brass bolt will be heavier.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:54 PM
SoCal
Joined Jun 2008
32 Posts
i second waiting and not using the metal bolt. on a side note heres a video for my minimag that was shot today

http://s368.photobucket.com/albums/o...nt=minimag.flv
Novak76 is offline Find More Posts by Novak76
Old Nov 21, 2008, 03:05 AM
Pendle Hill NSW
Joined Oct 2008
155 Posts
aileron and radio setup....Pls help

I have a Minimag coming, My first aileron plane. And I also have a new DX6i radio to play with and I am unsure how to set it up.

So here go the questions....

Do I need a Y harness for the aileron servos? The manual says no for a computer radio. But how do I connect 2 aileron servos to one aileron slot on reciever?

Do i need rudder mixed with aileron? If so how much?

And how does the aileron differential work? Both physically on the plane and how to set the radio for this?

A lot of questions I know! I hope I can get some help here. Thanks
digger12 is offline Find More Posts by digger12
Old Nov 21, 2008, 04:40 AM
"plane don't hurt"
Joined Aug 2005
445 Posts
thanks for posting that video novak!

digger:

Quote:
Do I need a Y harness for the aileron servos? The manual says no for a computer radio. But how do I connect 2 aileron servos to one aileron slot on reciever?
you will need a y harness if you want to connect the two aileron servos to one channel. If you have an extra channel on your receiver you could hook up each servo to a separate channel. I believe that you cannot setup flapperons or spoilerons with a Y harness.

not sure about the other questions..
Old Nov 21, 2008, 05:02 AM
Pendle Hill NSW
Joined Oct 2008
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruji
thanks for posting that video novak!

digger:

you will need a y harness if you want to connect the two aileron servos to one channel. If you have an extra channel on your receiver you could hook up each servo to a separate channel. I believe that you cannot setup flapperons or spoilerons with a Y harness.

not sure about the other questions..
I have a 6ch radio and Rx. But the Rx only has 1 aileron slot..?
digger12 is offline Find More Posts by digger12
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:55 AM
"plane don't hurt"
Joined Aug 2005
445 Posts
you need to plug the other aileron into one of the other channels. For a spektrum RX you plug the other into the AUX, refer to your documentation. Or get a Y cable and just use the AIL channel.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:02 AM
"plane don't hurt"
Joined Aug 2005
445 Posts
here is a good post about differential:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4770
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:10 AM
"plane don't hurt"
Joined Aug 2005
445 Posts
Okay now that ive been reading up on differential...

the minimag manual says you should have about 7mm of travel aileron UP and 3mm aileron down. So do i set the end points of my TX to get those values (i believe spektrum TX's adjustment is called travel adjust) or do i use differential to get those values? ive been flying with full travel up and down and it flies great (at least to me, which really isnt saying much) how important is this on the minimag?