HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2007, 09:16 AM
Fly by Night
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
Actually, after second thoughts, I would be amazed if Multiplex would introduce scale models into their Elapor program. The only model which did not follow this rule was the Sonic-Liner - and compared to the other models, it was not a huge success.

Jürgen

Multiplex Spitfire - I have a dream.....
jteplane is offline Find More Posts by jteplane
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2007, 03:58 PM
Helis and Planes
Joined Sep 2006
55 Posts
Installing Floats on MM?

I just picked up a MM with the intent to fly off water using the Mutiplex floats.

I have not build the plane yet, as I am a little confused about the water rudder installation. The instructions suggested that the tail wheel must be installed, because the water rudder uses parts of the tail wheel. Do I need the tail wheel kit?

My plan was to get her flying and trimmed with the stock landing gear, then install the floats.

I am concerned that if I glue the fuse and install the landing gear, I will not be able to install the water rudder?

Hopefully someone understands my question.

I did see the post about using tape instead of glue, but I'm still not sure how to install the rudder.

Thanks for your help, I'm looking forward to getting my MM feet wet!
like2hover is offline Find More Posts by like2hover
Old Sep 07, 2007, 04:14 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,714 Posts
I did the tail-wheel. I believe for the water rudder you need to shape a piece of depron with the wire around it and use that. I think there is a template for it in the instructions. If you glue the fuse it will make installing a rudder or tail wheel difficult as the wire needs to pass through the fuse. I used some plastic tube through the fuse as a sleeve to keep the wire aligned and give it some strength. I used a short segment of plastic tube in the rudder itself with the wire glued in. Once I had everything aligned and ready I glued it all (stab, rear fuse, tailwheel) at once with foam safe CA. The wheel has held up to some pretty good abuse. A water rudder should experience less traumatic force.

Hope this helps-let me know if you need more pics.

-Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Last edited by echoplanar; Sep 08, 2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2007, 04:32 PM
United States, MA, Webster
Joined Feb 2003
2,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoplanar
I did the tail-wheel. I believe for the water rudder you need to shape a piece of depron with the wire around it and use that. I think there is a template for it in the instructions. If you glue the fuse it will make installing a rudder or tail wheel difficult as the wire needs to pass through the fuse. I used some plastic tube through the fuse as a sleeve to keep the wire aligned and give it some strength. I used a short segment of plastic tube in the rudder itself with the wire glued in. Once I had everything aligned and ready I glued it all (stab, rear fuse, tailwheel) at once with 15 minute epoxy. The wheel has held up to some pretty good abuse. A water rudder should experience less traumatic force.

Hope this helps-let me know if you need more pics.

-Jon
Well stated and illustrated !!

Russ
MiniBoy is offline Find More Posts by MiniBoy
Old Sep 07, 2007, 10:02 PM
Plummet Airlines
Perth Western Australia
Joined Feb 2004
878 Posts
My MM arrived today. Much better all round quality than the E-Starter.
Anyway I might give those decals a miss and put something a liitle more conservative on the plane. A little paint will take away that boring white foam look also. There are a few US Army red and white Bird Dog pics on this thread-very nice. Maybe something like that.
Craig Mckinley is offline Find More Posts by Craig Mckinley
Old Sep 07, 2007, 10:34 PM
Helis and Planes
Joined Sep 2006
55 Posts
Thanks echoplanar. I do not have the tail wheel kit. Does that mean I should install the water rudder now, before I join the fuse halves, even if I intend to install the float later?

You are correct, the floats come with a template and a piece of stiff wire. Bend to shape, press over the included piece of depron, then trim to fit.

If you have photos showing how the wire connects the wheel to the rudder, that would be helpful.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 07, 2007, 11:08 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,714 Posts
The water rudder will drag on the ground and get destroyed if you attach wheels first. If you want to start with wheels and then have a water rudder you would need to mod the tail wheel so you could interchange a wheel and water rudder. This would require something outside of the template but is doable especially if you remove the wheel and do a more permanent water rudder when you are ready.

Perhaps someone else will chime on the real need for the water rudder-maybe you could taxi on water with just the rudder so long as there is enough speed. Slow speed taxiing would not work well though.

-Jon
Old Sep 07, 2007, 11:14 PM
Fly by Night
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jan 2007
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Mckinley
My MM arrived today. Much better all round quality than the E-Starter.
Anyway I might give those decals a miss and put something a liitle more conservative on the plane. A little paint will take away that boring white foam look also. There are a few US Army red and white Bird Dog pics on this thread-very nice. Maybe something like that.
I too ditched the decals in favor of Fusion paint - red on top and blue on the bottom. Used plain old masking tape w/standard stripes. Looks great to me and easy to see...
btw: another good tip I found is to use paper towels under the masking tape to prevent bleed over..
jteplane is offline Find More Posts by jteplane
Old Sep 08, 2007, 12:08 AM
Helis and Planes
Joined Sep 2006
55 Posts
Thank you for posting the photos of the tail wheel, very helpful.

I can see how it would be difficult to install the water rudder after the fuse is sealed.

Not sure what to do. I'd rather not maiden over water. I suppose I can fly over grass with the floats installed?

Anyone tried landing on grass with the floats, or is that just asking for trouble?
Old Sep 08, 2007, 02:17 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by echoplanar
Perhaps someone else will chime on the real need for the water rudder-maybe you could taxi on water with just the rudder so long as there is enough speed. Slow speed taxiing would not work well though.

-Jon
The water rudder is essential. It adds directional stability when one float lifts off the water earlier than the other. The water ruder also comensates for the additional side area the floats add in front of the CG.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Sep 08, 2007, 02:18 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2hover
Anyone tried landing on grass with the floats, or is that just asking for trouble?
Smooth grass, low speed - no problem.

http://airtoimedia.nl/web/upload/Jur...Mag-floats.wmv

Jürgen
Old Sep 08, 2007, 02:21 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig
The water rudder is essential. It adds directional stability when one float lifts off the water earlier than the other. The water ruder also comensates for the additional side area the floats add in front of the CG.

Jürgen
Makes good sense. I need to try a float plane someday.

-Jon
Old Sep 08, 2007, 02:22 PM
Helis and Planes
Joined Sep 2006
55 Posts
Jürgen I am unable to play any of your video links

I'd really like to see the MM on floats landing on grass. Is there any other way to access your videos?

When I click, Windows Media Player launches, and tells me there is a network error.
Old Sep 08, 2007, 03:26 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like2hover
Jürgen I am unable to play any of your video links
Must be a problem on your end. Try right mouse click to download the video.

Jürgen
Old Sep 08, 2007, 03:50 PM
Helis and Planes
Joined Sep 2006
55 Posts
Got it, thanks!

Have you tried landing on grass with the floats? Your video looks like it is moving so slow when it touches, that it should be able to handle it.