HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2005, 03:28 AM
Joined Sep 2005
160 Posts
FAQ
Blade CP "Yo-Yo" Fixes

Also known as, "sticky collective," "hopping," "collective popping," and "jumping," this is when the Blade randomly hops up and/or down during flight without warning. It can range from a few inches to a few feet and there are numerous methods people have found to fix the problem. I have gone ahead and collected all of the most promising fixes for this issue to put them in one informative topic. They are listed in a general order from easiest to hardest. Feel free to add your fix if it isn't listed. Good luck guys!
  • Moving the throttle trim up to about half way should diminish the effects
  • Lubricate all the moving components of the head. Shock oil will do in a pinch.
  • Make sure the links arenít too tight on the balls. You can loosen them by squeezing them with a pair of pliers.
  • Replace the o-rings, silicone fuel tubing will do
  • Add washers to the end of the grips
  • Make sure the blades are tracking properly
  • Make sure the tail blade is balanced
  • Check to make sure your collective servo isnít twitching
  • Replace one or all of these: center hub and spindle, rotor head, servo pushrods
  • If your Blade was possibly made before September 2005, look in your ownerís manual for a page that refers to a three ball bearing upgrade on the blade grips. If you canít find that page, follow this tutorial;
    http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...icky+collective
  • Read over the latter portion of this link;
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=EFLH1100
  • If your problem still isn't solved, check all over for any slop. If you find any, do whatever it takes to get rid of it, and then re-lube.

If you're not sure if your Blade has this problem, I recorded a short video of my Blade demonstrating it. You can view it here.
SonicFury is offline Find More Posts by SonicFury
Last edited by SonicFury; Dec 21, 2005 at 12:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2005, 08:27 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Nov 2005
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicFury
[*]Replace one or all of these: center hub and spindle, rotor head, servo pushrods
I had the same problem and cured it by replacing the center hub and head. Rock solid now.

Hint, if you move your flybar back and forth and it there is play in it, replace these one or both of these parts.
Motions is offline Find More Posts by Motions
Old Dec 21, 2005, 09:52 AM
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
Excellent post. ty
GregSilver is offline Find More Posts by GregSilver
Old Dec 21, 2005, 05:31 PM
Chandler, AZ, USA
Joined May 2001
182 Posts
One more fix

My yo-yo'ing was not near severe as shown in his video, but I still had some. I started playing with the pitch link from the flybar to the blade grip. If I lengthen those 2 links by a turn (i.e. more positive pitch on the blades), the yo-yo'ing went away. This adjustment lets you hover at a lower RPM. To test this, I went the other way with the links to hover at a higher RPM, and the yo-yo'ing was back, and got worse the more I shortened the links.

TL
ToddL is online now Find More Posts by ToddL
Old Dec 22, 2005, 12:20 AM
Moving to Crouch, Idaho
Kona Hawaii
Joined Sep 2005
230 Posts
After a bad crash a damaged servo can be hard to detect, but is must likely the cause of yo- yoing
Sfcoffee is offline Find More Posts by Sfcoffee
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:06 AM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
I put some light oil where the orings are, worked it back and forth for a bit, and the yo-yo-ing went away. Almost dead steady.

I am concerned however that the oil may cause the orings to swell, and make the problem come back worse than ever.

I'm unclear on the purpose of the orings. Could they be replaced with something else, maybe something metal?
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Jan 26, 2006, 11:37 AM
Joined Sep 2005
160 Posts
I don't think they can replaced with a different material. People have had luck with reducing yo-yoing by simply getting new ones or adding/subtracting rings.

Lube, though, always seems to help whether it be on the rings or the entire head.

There's also been some talk in another thread that head speed alone could be the cause. Switching to a good li-po pack and new gear ratio for a higher head speed could really reduce the effects.
SonicFury is offline Find More Posts by SonicFury
Old Jan 26, 2006, 03:01 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Higher head speed does help I think. The blade I'm working on is my Dads, which is still using the stock battery pack. Mine, converted to 3s with the 9t pinion does this much less.

I did notice when I was resetting his up, ( lots of crash damage), that at first, head speed was pretty high, but you needed lots of throttle to get airborn. I wound up lengthening the pitch links 1 full turn, and not only did it take off with much less throttle, but the bobbing was much reduced as well. Apparently trading more head speed for less pitch angle has limitations, even if it still flies.
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:11 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,402 Posts
I fixed my yo-yo ing by replacing the head unit with that from the Century Elite 3D Pro. Rock solid now... just like my Elite 3D Pro.
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Apr 24, 2006, 03:46 PM
Seattle, WA, U. District
Joined Mar 2006
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaninMilwaukee
Higher head speed does help I think. The blade I'm working on is my Dads, which is still using the stock battery pack. Mine, converted to 3s with the 9t pinion does this much less.

I did notice when I was resetting his up, ( lots of crash damage), that at first, head speed was pretty high, but you needed lots of throttle to get airborn. I wound up lengthening the pitch links 1 full turn, and not only did it take off with much less throttle, but the bobbing was much reduced as well. Apparently trading more head speed for less pitch angle has limitations, even if it still flies.
Adding positive pitch possibly puts more pressure on the blades so that they do not move around as much given play in the rotorhead assembly, causing it to stop yo-yoing. However, if you get into aerobatics you won't want the added positive pitch so finding the core problem might be a good idea.
leftspin is offline Find More Posts by leftspin