HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:18 AM
Exline, Iowa,
Joined Dec 2005
10 Posts
easy way to use hi start

If any of you are like me, getting older and not able to pull back the hi start and hold the radio at the same time, perhaps you would be interested in building your own hi start launch platform. This has made it easier for me to enjoy my sailplanes. If you would like some information about how it is designed and how well it works, just post your questions. I will add a picture of a NSP Defiant sitting on the launch. I don't have the packing tape covering on it in the picture. The launch is for sailplanes that have a flat bottom area. I have used it on the Sig Riser and the House of Balsa 2x4. I know it would work great on the Gentle Lady. It just makes it possible for me to fly my sailplanes by myself because I can't pull the hi start back and hold it to get a decent launch.

It's inexpensive to make, and I just used some scrap lumber I had available. It will launch a sailplane in strong breezes or even no breeze at all. It's given me a chance to keep flying the sailplanes.

Jim
jtraxler is offline Find More Posts by jtraxler
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:35 AM
Northford, CT
Joined Feb 2005
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtraxler
If any of you are like me, getting older and not able to pull back the hi start and hold the radio at the same time....
Isn't that what grandkids are for?
Yardbird is offline Find More Posts by Yardbird
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:19 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
Jim,

Good for you! I have seen foot pedal type of stations, but they are all at ground level. You have elevated the idea to new heights. Now all you need is a retriever so you donít have to pull the line back. Keep of flying!

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:57 PM
Norway
Joined Dec 2003
1,454 Posts
And that's the main important thing. To keep flying sailplane models. I hope I never stop doing that!!!

A little more expensive but...

http://www.git-r-built.com/imagemgr/...&box=&shownew=
jojoen is offline Find More Posts by jojoen
Old Dec 20, 2005, 02:01 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
jojoen

Now your talking. Put that in a lot next to a QD (with curb servics) under a canopy and I'll be on my way.

John
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:32 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Jim,

That looks like a great design. Can you explain it it more detail?

What is the release mechanism?

Do you place the plane and then pull hte hi-start and attached it?

What size hi-start are you using?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:10 AM
Exline, Iowa,
Joined Dec 2005
10 Posts
Aejar

As the picture shows it's just a platform on a stand that has a little slope. There can't be too much slope or the sailplane will bind under the pressure and not release from the platform. I don't know the exact rise that I used, but I expect it's about 3 inches in a 30 inch platform.

The release device is just a compression spring inside a 2x4 block with a 1/8 threaded rod going through the whole thing. I will include a drawing I just made moments ago to give you an idea as to how it works. The rod extends about a half inch above the platform to insert into a hole in the plane that is five inches behind the tow hook.

I just stretch my hi start and place it on a hook on the front of the platform. Then I place the plane on the pin, hook the hi start to it, check my radio, and then step on the release and watch it go skyward.

Of course, I use a hard wood block on the plane where the pin goes through. On most models you can put it inside where it's not noticed, but with the House of Balsa 2x4 it has to be on the outside to make up for the slope in the body of the plane.

Here are a few pictures. I left the drawing large so that you can easily read it. Hope this give you some idea as to what I use. My hi start is just homemade. I bought some latex tubing from the local hospital and used 150 pound dacron kite line. The tubing is 50 feet of 3/8 with 1/16 walls. I use a 125 feet of line. I stretch it another 100 feet or more.

Jim
jtraxler is offline Find More Posts by jtraxler
Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:54 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
I thought this great launch platform was something people would like to see again.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 09:42 AM
SoarNut
United States, MI, Kentwood
Joined Apr 2005
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
I thought this great launch platform was something people would like to see again.
I'm glad you did, this is very interesting. I have a bad left knee and this would be a great solution.
spinolio is offline Find More Posts by spinolio
Old Dec 05, 2007, 01:44 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Any reason this could not work with a winch?
Old Dec 05, 2007, 01:55 PM
Seattle, Washington, United States, University of Washington
Joined Feb 2003
432 Posts
Is there a reason it needs to be so high off the ground other than not needing to bend over to ready your glider?

(It would save room in my car if I the legs were only 3 inchs or so high.)

-John Elliott
jbeanelliott is offline Find More Posts by jbeanelliott
Old Dec 05, 2007, 02:08 PM
Joined Apr 2006
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeanelliott
Is there a reason it needs to be so high off the ground other than not needing to bend over to ready your glider?

(It would save room in my car if I the legs were only 3 inchs or so high.)

-John Elliott
You could make the legs either detachable or telescoping to make it more portable.

Jtraxler, do you have any idea what the pounds of pull is at the hook? So in other words when you are ready to place the line fully stretched onto the device, how many pounds of pull are you at?

Tom
Liberator is offline Find More Posts by Liberator
Old Dec 06, 2007, 09:05 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Last edited by flyboyjimi; Dec 06, 2007 at 09:07 PM. Reason: wrong iudea
Old Dec 06, 2007, 09:06 PM
The sky is my playground
Near the Ocean in Hunt. Beach Calif.
Joined Apr 2006
999 Posts
flyboyjimi is offline Find More Posts by flyboyjimi
Last edited by flyboyjimi; Dec 06, 2007 at 09:08 PM. Reason: wrong thread
Old Dec 08, 2007, 02:12 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
890 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr
Any reason this could not work with a winch?
The main reason I see that it might not work with the winch is that you could not control the line tension before relese...Hi-Start would hold a constant tension on the line before relese.

the thought of winch is a good one but you would be better off doing a hand launch with the winch.

Clarence
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal