HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:40 PM
Joined Sep 2005
117 Posts
Retracts For GWS F4U Cosair?

Hi, I have a new GWS F4U that I'm thinking of putting retracts in. Is this possible?

I've done a few searches and seen much info and many examples dealing with the other warbirds, but the bent wing of the F4U seems to pose a special problem? I've got the small blue GWS retracts, but am willing to explore any ideas.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
efish is offline Find More Posts by efish
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:45 AM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
yes it is because the you need a rotating retract. That is because the wheel would fold back flat in the direction of the tail. It proposes a complicated enginering task. I have some prototype concepts that haven't got past paper yet. You need to have the strut rod turn as the the retract moves. Some type of gear at the end of the strut would probably work best.
MakMov is offline Find More Posts by MakMov
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:00 AM
Ohh Snapp!
Joined Sep 2005
1,822 Posts
I thought about retracts on a Corsair as well, and the rotating retract problem is what changed my mind. Now I plan on possibly trying some on a GWS Zero. I also might try these retracts instead of the GWS. Hopefully they are a bit stronger. I also have a paved runway, so that will help out a lot.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUY31&P=7

I'm not sure whether to cover it in Oracover (or some other low temp covering) or glass it with thinned epoxy resin. Any advice/experience?
CatchmyCorsair is offline Find More Posts by CatchmyCorsair
Old Dec 20, 2005, 01:50 PM
the kgb flies again!
Somerset West, South Africa
Joined Oct 2004
19 Posts
Hi, I know its not very scale but I have used the blue retracts on my Corsair with the wheels folding outward. I mounted the servo on the inside of the wing in front of the aileron servo, with the torque rods running straight through the wing. With the retracts reversed I had to run the rods past the retracts. I then used a dremel type tool to drill out hollows for the wheels to pull into. I am using the GWS foam wheels and find they cope on the retracts just fine on a cricket pitch type surface.

I'll post some pics and short video of them in action. It took ages to balance the rods so that they lock up and down and don't make the servo buzz!
kgbester is online now Find More Posts by kgbester
Old Dec 20, 2005, 02:07 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbester
Hi, I know its not very scale but I have used the blue retracts on my Corsair with the wheels folding outward. I mounted the servo on the inside of the wing in front of the aileron servo, with the torque rods running straight through the wing. With the retracts reversed I had to run the rods past the retracts. I then used a dremel type tool to drill out hollows for the wheels to pull into. I am using the GWS foam wheels and find they cope on the retracts just fine on a cricket pitch type surface.

I'll post some pics and short video of them in action. It took ages to balance the rods so that they lock up and down and don't make the servo buzz!
Another simple solution is to use the same setup as those used by Zero and Mustang. You do not even have to carve out a gear well because there is a natural recess near the fuse created by the gull wing. Sure this is not scale but is the simplest and cheapest way to put a retract on your GWS corsair at this moment.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Dec 20, 2005, 07:29 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchmyCorsair
I thought about retracts on a Corsair as well, and the rotating retract problem is what changed my mind. Now I plan on possibly trying some on a GWS Zero. I also might try these retracts instead of the GWS. Hopefully they are a bit stronger. I also have a paved runway, so that will help out a lot.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUY31&P=7

I'm not sure whether to cover it in Oracover (or some other low temp covering) or glass it with thinned epoxy resin. Any advice/experience?

I used MPI retracts, after a dive off the table cracked one side of the GWS black retracts. They are a little heavier duty than the GWS and fit in the GWS mounts.

If you glass it WBPU is a better way to go. Not nearly as heavy as epoxy resin.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:06 AM
Joined Sep 2005
117 Posts
K, thanks everyone, guess there's still some hope for retracts on my Cosair!

kgbester - sounds good and looks like the nicest way to go; I'll look forward to seeing your pics and video!!

shschon - I had thought of using the recess created by the wing but I had 2 concerns - #1 it might adversely affect the aerodynamics of the airfoil and #2 it wouldn't be worth the bother of fitting retracts and have the wheels sticking out. Any thoughts on either of these 2 points?

catchmycosair - I'm still a newbie, but I'm gonna cover my cosair with iron on film. Had an estarter previosuly - great plane except the foam got dirty real quick and was just about impossible to clean. Read somewhere also that the iron on adds a lot of rigidity to the foam.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:13 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,977 Posts
Catchmy corsair....that's funny, I just ordered those same retracts yesterday. Matter of fact, I ordered 2 sets...one for me and one set for my son. Not sure which warbirds they will go in yet.....we'll see what Christmas brings first?!!??!!
This will be my son's first retract attempt since he has only had a 4 channel until....Christmas. (don't tell him, he has a 6 channel radio under the tree right now!)
Anyone here ever use the Great Planes .10 retracts?
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2005, 12:39 PM
the kgb flies again!
Somerset West, South Africa
Joined Oct 2004
19 Posts
Some pics (just need convert the video from MP4 then will post) as promised. Took the shots in my garage using the wall as background so hopefully you can see it. Still have to touch up under the wing where I did the work. I would not mind one of those retarding devices to make it look more scale, but it's already going up into the wrong location so I guess I have lost that one!

When in flight you cannot see the wheels at all and they dont seem to mess with the aerodynamics of the wing. As you can see the retracts are reversed (as opposed to the normal setup with a Zero or P51) and the torque rods run right through the wing. I used a carbon fibre tube to make the holes.

Next up is my P51, hopefully I can install the retracts in early January, then I'll post here again.
kgbester is online now Find More Posts by kgbester
Old Dec 21, 2005, 02:47 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efish
K, thanks everyone, guess there's still some hope for retracts on my Cosair!

kgbester - sounds good and looks like the nicest way to go; I'll look forward to seeing your pics and video!!

shschon - I had thought of using the recess created by the wing but I had 2 concerns - #1 it might adversely affect the aerodynamics of the airfoil and #2 it wouldn't be worth the bother of fitting retracts and have the wheels sticking out. Any thoughts on either of these 2 points?

catchmycosair - I'm still a newbie, but I'm gonna cover my cosair with iron on film. Had an estarter previosuly - great plane except the foam got dirty real quick and was just about impossible to clean. Read somewhere also that the iron on adds a lot of rigidity to the foam.

My corsair flys without any problem. In the air you can hardly see the gears. Look much better than with the gears hanging down.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:18 PM
Joined Sep 2005
117 Posts
Thanks!

kgbester - looks pretty good!

shschon - thanks for the info. Pulling the wheels into the gull wing recess does seem a quick and painless way of getting retracts into the F4U. Was a little concerend, but its great to know that it works and the plane will still fly.

Gonna start putting the plane together over the weekend and will probably decide on which method to use along the way.

Thanks again!
Old Dec 21, 2005, 10:39 PM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Probably flies okay, but you are still going to have quite a bit of parisitic drag.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 02:35 AM
Joined Sep 2005
117 Posts
Makmov - good point, apart from aesthetics, is drag reduction a significant reason for retracts in RC planes (and thus worth the extra weight)?

I'm still quite a newbie, but it seems that most 3D / pattern planes (presumably where performance is paramount) aren't fitted with retracts. Is this becuase the weight saved is is more valuable performace wise than the drag that would be reduced byusing retracts?

Just wondering....
Old Dec 23, 2005, 08:56 AM
Excellence is Expected
Aurora, Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
3,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by efish
Makmov - good point, apart from aesthetics, is drag reduction a significant reason for retracts in RC planes (and thus worth the extra weight)?

I'm still quite a newbie, but it seems that most 3D / pattern planes (presumably where performance is paramount) aren't fitted with retracts. Is this becuase the weight saved is is more valuable performace wise than the drag that would be reduced byusing retracts?

Just wondering....

Exactly.

Most of your 3D and pattern planes are mid-wing with the gear attached to the fuse, which would be difficult to configure a effective retract system. Sometimes it is just simplicity that out weighs performance gains.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:50 AM
Joined Sep 2005
117 Posts
Thanks MakMov, perhaps I'll just leave out the retracts for now and get a Zero or something where the wheels can actually be entirely recessed......

It's just that I think retracts are so cool!!