HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2005, 09:37 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,852 Posts
Question
AeroAce- How to turn on turn control with throttle off?

It would seem that that there would be a power or signal input to the throttle control that feeds the turn control when the throttle is advanced. So why couldn't that power/signal feed be fed to the turn control at all times by running a wire from the input to the throttle control to the whatever on the turn control?

I wish I knew enough about the electronics to figure it out but it's beyond me.

Anybody got any ideas on how to activate that turn control with the throttle off?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2005, 01:33 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
hoppy,
The Aero-Ace only has the two motors. There is no actuator -- no control surfaces that move. It turns by adjusting the thrust of each of the motors (differential steering). Throttle off = no thrust difference = no steering. Takes a little getting used to, but it works pretty well.

Mark
mharms is offline Find More Posts by mharms
Old Dec 20, 2005, 02:21 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Apr 2004
711 Posts
The only way to steer with power off is to use a modified transmitter:
http://home.versanet.de/~b-konze/xtwin/xtwin_en.htm

Then you have also the advantage, that each motor is controlled by 16 steps and it feels like a proportional steering.

Quax
quax is offline Find More Posts by quax
Old Dec 20, 2005, 02:48 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,196 Posts
Quax,you automatically assume everyone has the skills and software/hardware to do this

What would be more benefitial is a laymans way to do this, or an explanation for electronically challenged modellers to do understand what they have to do.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Old Dec 20, 2005, 03:48 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Apr 2004
711 Posts
NitroCharged,

I really don't assume that. It's only a hint, that a solution exists.

We often practice a skill-collection. I'm responsible for electronics and an otherone has a lathe and makes bells for our DIY-brushless motors. This way the most important is to know about a solution (and to know someone, who does it )

Quax
Old Dec 20, 2005, 03:49 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
quax,
Your mod is nice in that it gives more steps, making steering smoother and giving more low-end steps. Still, if the motors are truly off, you won't have any ability to steer (I know you know this -- I'm just saying that for anyone unfamiliar with the AeroAce and differential steering).

Mark
Old Dec 20, 2005, 04:26 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Apr 2004
711 Posts
mharms,

sure, you can steer with motors off!

My software switches a single motor on, if you steer and power is off.

The problem is that you only may give short pulses or you have to switch on the "stumble mode". This two motor driven model can not fly with only one motor constantly on and the other off. Then it goes into tailspin, but leaves it immediately, if you want.

You can do additional aerobatics or short pulses for direction control.

Quax
Old Dec 20, 2005, 07:07 AM
Realtired User
San Jose, California
Joined Oct 2004
870 Posts
Quax,
I think I see what you mean. So your mod allows the pilot to momentarily turn a single motor on (while the other is off) to make it steer. I see that would work.

Mark
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:48 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharms
hoppy,
The Aero-Ace only has the two motors. There is no actuator -- no control surfaces that move. It turns by adjusting the thrust of each of the motors (differential steering). Throttle off = no thrust difference = no steering. Takes a little getting used to, but it works pretty well.

Mark
I'm aware of that Mark and the mod that Quax has made... what I'm interested in is a way to mod the AeroAce TX to turn on the "Turn Control" (motors if you will) when the throttle stick is on zero.

Perhaps quax has just showed me and I don't understand it, that's entirely possible I'll look at it again although I don't have a lot of hope that it is suddenly going to be clear. How does the "Turn Control" know that the throtle control is on and should now provide turn power to the motors? Can't we give it that same knowledge when the throttle is off.

Am I making any sense????
Old Dec 20, 2005, 08:55 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
the fact is that even if it is modified to provide turning with the power off (by turning on one motor rather than slowing one as usual?) it will not be nice to fly in that mode. Better to just learn to fly it as it is, blip the throttle as needed etc.

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Dec 20, 2005, 09:29 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,852 Posts
"it will not be nice to fly in that mode"

Why not? In many cases my plane gets high and the only way to get it back down is to cut the motor and it sure would be nice to be able to control the glide path without powering up every time I want to turn. Sure it can be flown like you described because that is how it has to be flown the way it is, but can't we do better?

Hey, just read you post again...are you saying the motors don't speed up to turn, they slow down? It sounds like they are speeding up...am I wrong?
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:15 AM
Joined Jan 2005
47 Posts
Does anyone remember this plane? It was popular a year or so ago under different names and is still being sold by Megatech. http://www.a2zhobbies.com/Megatech/R.../MEG-7700.html

It has similar flight controls as the aeroace except it does not have variable throttle. It's either full on or full off, but it does have what is suggested in this thread. With throttle off, pushing the stick left will cause the right motor to start running at a low speed and same for right stick which causes the left motor to start running. So it is possible. We just need to find how to mod the aeroace Tx.

If the aeroace could have this mod, it may save some planes from flying away. If they get too high, there is no way to get them down, especially if the wind is taking it higher. If you could give left or right to cause them to spin, without giving both motors throttle, you may be able to save it.
loc nar is offline Find More Posts by loc nar
Old Dec 20, 2005, 10:23 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loc nar

If the aeroace could have this mod, it may save some planes from flying away. If they get too high, there is no way to get them down, especially if the wind is taking it higher. If you could give left or right to cause them to spin, without giving both motors throttle, you may be able to save it.
That's what I'm talking about! (From the voice of experience)
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:50 AM
NRW, Germany
Joined Apr 2004
711 Posts
Quote:
<loc nar> wrote:
If you could give left or right to cause them to spin, without giving both motors throttle, you may be able to save it.
This is indeed the most important advantage, that this mode offers. More than once I saved my X-Twin from flying away or picking it out of a tree.

Quax
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:53 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,852 Posts
Quax,
I see that you've done what I was asking for.... I just have to spend some time with it to understand it all. Is the AeroAce TX the same board as the one you modified?