HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 03, 2002, 09:18 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined May 2002
67 Posts
Quick Question About Covering the Deans Connectors after Soldering...

I just finished assembeling some of those qualcomm packs, and I was trying to put some of the shrink wrap that comes with the connectors over the servo wire i used before soldering, but it wouldn't fit. So I just went ahead and soldered the connectors on, thinking I could wrap electrical tape around each solder joint. Is this a good insulator? Or can you think of something better. Thanks for your time!
cincyfler is offline Find More Posts by cincyfler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 03, 2002, 09:21 PM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
It is best to use shrink tube. You should de-solder the wires and put some heat shrink on the wires.
Black tape will unwrap over time.

Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
Old Jun 03, 2002, 09:22 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined May 2002
67 Posts
I dont have any tube with a large enough diameter, other than it eventaully unwrapping, is there any safety/electrical problem with using black tape?
Old Jun 03, 2002, 09:26 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Ditto what Frank said, electrical tape doesn't work worth a flip. Plus it's heavy. You need more practice soldering anyway, right? Just hit the joints enough with your iron to pull the wires off, slip a couple of pieces of shrinkwrap over the wires (separate piece of s/w on red and black), resolder the end, slip the s/w down and hit it with a candle/match/lighter. You'll never have to worry about it again! Stop by a Radio Shack and pick up a bag of multi-size shrinkwrap, it'll give you all the sizes you might need and lasts a long time.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jun 03, 2002, 09:28 PM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
No reason. Electrical tape will work just fine -- just not as 'neat' a job and electrial tape is not that light, so go easy on it. The shrink tubing (you can get different sizes down at Radio Shack) does work best.
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Last edited by rclark; Jun 03, 2002 at 09:33 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2002, 09:29 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==is there any safety/electrical problem with using black tape?==

It's a sufficient insulator, but on Dean's connectors the 2 terminals are really close together and if the tape slips you could cross circuit the pack. You can try it, but on something that tiny it's really hard to get electrical tape to hold the bend.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jun 03, 2002, 09:57 PM
Bloomington, IL (Hell's Cornfield)
Joined Dec 2001
1,096 Posts
I never understood the teeny heat shrink that they include with the connectors. They barely could be forced over the wires I was soldering on the pins. I have a whole pile of them sitting around waiting for some micro-wiring project. Just substituted some of my own that slipped over the wires easily. Worked just fine.

Karl
theKAT is offline Find More Posts by theKAT
Old Jun 03, 2002, 10:01 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined May 2002
67 Posts
Thanks guys, I guess I'm heading to radio shack in the morning, they know me by my first name now
Old Jun 03, 2002, 10:20 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by theKAT
I never understood the teeny heat shrink that they include with the connectors. They barely could be forced over the wires I was soldering on the pins. I have a whole pile of them sitting around waiting for some micro-wiring project. Just substituted some of my own that slipped over the wires easily. Worked just fine.

Karl

Out of interest's sake, that heatshrink that comes with the Deans makes a prime wheel collar on the switchback. I just slide it on and it fits with no slip. I've never had one come off. I don't recall the size of the wire... 1/16" perhaps, but that's just my best guess. This trick should work on lots of park flyer sized airplanes!
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter