HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:00 AM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
Futaba 9CAS or 9CHS? Another company??

I'm running out of room on my Eclipse 7! I'd like to get a radio with the capabilities of my Eclipse and more model memory. I was looking at the Futaba 9 series and saw these. What's the difference? I fly both Heli and Aircraft.
Would a different radio from a different company be better? I like the synth frequencies so I can be on different freq.
Any and all suggestions helpful!

Joe
albireo is offline Find More Posts by albireo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:50 AM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Same transmitter different modules/receivers. 'F' is FM, 'P' is PCM and 'S' is synth.

Sometimes you can get the transmitter al a cart with out a module. Sometimes with the synth module. This usually is cheaper than buying the whole system and selling of the parts you don't want.

"Same transmitter" means either an aircraft with the training toggle on the upper left (9CA) or the helicopter with the training toggle on the upper right (9CH). Since I fly mostly sailplanes I got the helicopter as the three possition toggle for the flaps is on the upper left. Aircraft is on the upper right. My left had has more free time than the right.

I'm still learning what capbilities my 9C has. I use the synth module and the synth receiver in PCM mode. If I didn't have so much wrapped up in Futaba I would have seriously considered JR.

Addendum: The 'S' as in 9CAPS is for Super. This indicates additional programming that has been introduced recently. Should also be a large red S on the front of the transmitter.
SoCalGliderFlyr is offline Find More Posts by SoCalGliderFlyr
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:06 PM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! Very nice. I considered JR as well, but ALL my RX stuff is neg shift...
Seems like the right UPGRADE for me?
Joe
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:19 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
I know that Hitec will shift both ways. I don't know if JR will.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:39 PM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
I love my Eclipse 7 - I sure wish there was one with more models!!

I hope the Futba isn't too hard to figure out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGliderFlyr
I know that Hitec will shift both ways. I don't know if JR will.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:58 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Hitec is stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to service all sides of the market. Since Hitec also owns Multiplex you would think the radios would be merged into a single product line.

I've been programming since the late 70's and I still have a hard learning curve for different RC radios.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 01:06 PM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
Would Multiplex be a good alternative? Perhaps easier to learn and the same or better capability?
Old Dec 19, 2005, 01:25 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Product consistancy. I've seen major deviations in programming language in one product line from year to year. Nice to have added features but no reason to rewrite the core menus to add them.

Personally I would like an open end programming structure where the user interface is on a PC. Should there be a need to do in field programming then the display can be programmed to match a subset of what is seen on the PC.

Till then you have to decide what your budget and flying catagories restrain you to.

Note that your HiTec receivers can be used with Futaba transmitters.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:27 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
2,959 Posts
If you fly heli's get the 9CH or 9CH Super.

The F or P designates what a new model defualts to and what reciever ships with it.
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:36 PM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
I ordered the 9CH Super. I hope it works well! I'm REALLY worried about reprogramming my planes into my new radio - - I don't want to spend my precious vacation crashing badly reprogrammed planes!!

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey
If you fly heli's get the 9CH or 9CH Super.

The F or P designates what a new model defualts to and what reciever ships with it.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 01:20 PM
Think Thermals!!!!
Costa Mesa, California
Joined Mar 2004
2,964 Posts
Do a search of this web site for the 9CH and helicopters. You can do a focused search in the helicopter forums. Should be able to find other helicopter flyers that have learned to speak "Futaba".

If you get the 9CH with the synth module be sure to get a much larger tx battery as this module has considerable more drain than the crystal based module.
Old Dec 20, 2005, 01:59 PM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
Good call!!
Thanks for the heads up. I was able to add the battery to my order.
Great!
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGliderFlyr
Do a search of this web site for the 9CH and helicopters. You can do a focused search in the helicopter forums. Should be able to find other helicopter flyers that have learned to speak "Futaba".

If you get the 9CH with the synth module be sure to get a much larger tx battery as this module has considerable more drain than the crystal based module.
Old Dec 21, 2005, 04:28 PM
Joined Jul 2002
22 Posts
I've used a dozen different radios, mostly Futaba, and the 9C is by far the easiest to program - I'll take a 9C over a fancy 9Z any day. The buttons and scroll wheel are very intuitive, and I'm sure you'll be very happy programming it.

-Chris
invertedflight is offline Find More Posts by invertedflight
Old Dec 21, 2005, 04:49 PM
From Earth to the Moon!
Sacramento, Ca.
Joined Jul 2003
1,518 Posts
I'm glad to hear that! I'm obviosuly nervous about reprogramming all my planes... I'm concerned that I'll miss something when I transfer stuff over. Is expo the same on the Futaba? I use NEG expo on the Eclipse.
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by invertedflight
I've used a dozen different radios, mostly Futaba, and the 9C is by far the easiest to program - I'll take a 9C over a fancy 9Z any day. The buttons and scroll wheel are very intuitive, and I'm sure you'll be very happy programming it.

-Chris
Old Dec 21, 2005, 05:01 PM
R/C ADDICT
USA, WA, Vancouver
Joined May 2002
228 Posts
I switched from the eclipse to the 9ch and let me tell you I love the 9c for programming and setup but it sure is hard to hold and not flip switches. and having the readout on the bottom when using a strap makes it quite difficult to read while flying. That said I still use the 9c and the eclipse is in the box until its needed to buddy with my son. I just wish I could figure out how to comfortably hold the 9c.
I'm ready to find a 64k campac now as I just filled all the slots available.
spinfree is offline Find More Posts by spinfree