SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2005, 08:27 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,881 Posts
K&A Twin Beech 18...anyone got one?

Recently aquired one, and of course despite all the half finished projects I had to start it immediately. Planning on outrunners, will have to modify the nacelle construction somewhat to do that. I'm worried about it being tail heavy with lipos, Ken mentions flying it with 21 round cells all the way up in the nose. Not much here in a search...whos built one?

Thanks,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:14 AM
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
2,954 Posts
maybe you could show some pics of what the kit components look like so far, and someone will chime in.

i was looking at it but did not buy due to the same problem, too many half built kits right now..

maybe the tail can be lightened if its too difficult to balance with lipos, seems that would be a better solution than adding lead to the nose.

most of us guys that used to fly those go ga-ga over these kits, but the bigger kits are sometimes a little too intimidating.

i was hoping to build one some time in a 40 inch wing-span version, using the ziroli plans reduced down.

The K&A has a fiberglass fuse yes? and foam core sheeted wings? lookls very nice on their site

Tim
ZRS4 is offline Find More Posts by ZRS4
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:03 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
David,

I fell in love with the -18, but don't want to use round cells anymore. Looking over the model, I did not feel I could lighten the tail sufficiently to be able to use lipo's...at least, if it did, I felt I would have to put in parallel 8000 lipo's(!) Not wanting a second mortgage on the house, I passed on the model. Sure is pretty, though

Terry
temacc is offline Find More Posts by temacc
Old Dec 19, 2005, 01:58 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
I've got a kit too, but I have yet to start it. I bought one when it was on sale about a year ago, and while I fully intend on building it, I was thinking this weekend that it would be fun to design a smaller size one that's more stick and tissue based, maybe 42-48" wingspan.

-Sky
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:07 PM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glue_sniffer
I've got a kit too, but I have yet to start it. I bought one when it was on sale about a year ago, and while I fully intend on building it, I was thinking this weekend that it would be fun to design a smaller size one that's more stick and tissue based, maybe 42-48" wingspan.

-Sky
Sounds like it would weigh less - and would therefore interest me greatly -

If you do it, please post and tell us about it, show lots of pix

Terry
Old Dec 19, 2005, 02:23 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
Okay will do Terry - yeah I'd be looking to do something with twin brusheless CD-ROM motors, so all up we'd be looking at...maybe 20 oz give or take. More of a park floater than then K&A.

PS - How's the flying scene in Portland? I've considered moving there in the past, I love that city. I even had my house on the market last year, and an apartment all picked out in Portland before I met my fiance. She's actually open to the idea of moving up there, but we want to get married first and then see what's up career wise etc.
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:00 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,881 Posts
Well,

I may be alone here, LOL. I have a Tom Hunt Yakostick(NOT how he spells it) that I plan to do some day for cd-roms, but thats another story. So far I have sorted the 17 1/16th sheets by weight, and used the lightest on the tail, everything is sheeted with probond, LE's, tips in place stab joined. I plan to use Ken's bellcrank suggestion for rudder actuation, with some mods. He uses buried horns, and pushrods out to the rudders from a center bellcrank, with another pushrod coming back from the front fuse. I am gonna use carbon rod for the in-stab pushrods, and a homemade T shaped bellcrank with pull-pull forward to the servo. Probably pull-pull on the ele as well. Have Rohm mains, wanted to retract the tail too off the valve servo, or with another cylinder adapted to a robart tailwheel, but may have to forgo that to save the weight...not sure yet. I think with the modern lipos and outrunners the weight/power wont be an issue, but I dont want it heavy and having to fly too fast to look realistic, nor the hot landings that would accompany that condition.

As for the kit itself, this is the builder version, not the pre-primed pre-sheeted. There is rather scant instrustions(not for the first time kit builder, LOL), no hardware, but all the wood is nice, the cores are well done and the wing has built in washout, the fuse is gorgeous and very light, and vac formed windows. Nacells are designed to accept the gear drives he mentions on the site...mods needed as I said earlier for the outrunners.

Pics to come, as I get something worth showing

David
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:10 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,881 Posts
BTW, heres the link to the Yakoschtick:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209853

Later,
David
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:09 AM
H2OFLY
Portland Oregon USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glue_sniffer
Okay will do Terry - yeah I'd be looking to do something with twin brusheless CD-ROM motors, so all up we'd be looking at...maybe 20 oz give or take. More of a park floater than then K&A.

PS - How's the flying scene in Portland? I've considered moving there in the past, I love that city. I even had my house on the market last year, and an apartment all picked out in Portland before I met my fiance. She's actually open to the idea of moving up there, but we want to get married first and then see what's up career wise etc.
Portland of course has grown the last 10-15 years, like most 'demand' destinations. That has shut down flying at Delta Park, but that was coming. They still fly control line there, I think.

There are at least 5 clubs with fields in the metro area, the furthest one has to drive is maybe half an hour. Most are hard-surfaced, but also have grass alongside. Being in the Pacific NW, it is green except in July and August when I don't water the grass. There is also indoor flying in at least three locations (I don't do much indoor, so there could be twice that around)

Hobby Shops: Tammies Hobbies is in Beaverton (West Side of the Willamette River, which splits Portland); Coyote Hobbies in Oregon City (East Side); they are the largest for us Watt-fellows...Tammies of course is the one in the magazines, and Dwayne Jr and Sr have built up that into a Very large business over the past 35+ years. So...good supplies.

Housing: The supply has increased the past 2 months; interest rates are still at 6% although I don't understand that(!) [I'm a Realtor] Prices are still 'reasonable' compared to other cities in the top 25 (population, nationwide). And getting careers started makes a lot of sense - Oregon still has a high unemployment rate.

Look forward to a twin 'Park Floater'

Terry
Old Dec 25, 2005, 08:40 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
I have the Tom Hunt C-45 short kit.. its EXCELLENT in quality parts and plans.. I really need to get it built too ( TOOO many projects!!) I would love to see a build thread on the K&A -18... please post pics!!
gearup is offline Find More Posts by gearup
Old Dec 25, 2005, 11:40 PM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,881 Posts
Gearup,

I'm planning to post pics, but currently I am in Ga doing the holiday thing. Will be back home in a few days, and working on the Beech. The pull-pull to bellcrank rudder setup is so far looking like it's gonna work great.

Later,
David
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2005, 11:05 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,180 Posts
good!!! you bring it to SEEF next year.. I'll bring my Beech products I have the K&A Panther, it is a good flyer!
gearup is offline Find More Posts by gearup
Old Jan 05, 2006, 01:48 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,881 Posts
A little progress on the Beech. I have the pull-pull and belcrank installed in the horizontal stab, next is to shape the rudders and hinge them, and then work out the buried rudder horns. This setup should be much lighter than the wire would have been. The tubes coming out of the front of the stab route the kevlar clear of any rough edges around the stab/fuse joint. Thats a dubro double end ball link made for aileron linkages, when people used to use bellcranks and one center servo. You youngsters won't remember those...I was pleasantly suprised to find that Dubro still made that part and the LHS had some
RCG Plus Member