HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2005, 03:03 PM
Australia, NSW, Cherrybrook
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Looking for a more Heli orientated club in Sydney

Hi All,

I mainly fly .50 size electric helis.
My present clubs are both electric only and more orientated towards fixed wing flyers. Both clubs are great but i'm not improving my heli flying skills with no other heli pilots around.

I'm looking for a club in Sydney that is more heli orientated.
CustomPC is offline Find More Posts by CustomPC
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2005, 10:17 PM
Sydney, Down under
Joined Aug 2003
1,080 Posts
try appin model club http://www.asac.org.au/ lots of heli pilots there
Supersix is offline Find More Posts by Supersix
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:27 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,117 Posts
Cripes! I don't know if I would call it a Sydney club if it is 71kms out of town!

Maybe someone needs to get an electric heli club started somewhere within say 20 kms of Sydney CBD...

Any suggestions??
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Dec 31, 2005, 06:03 PM
Sydney, Down under
Joined Aug 2003
1,080 Posts
where is there a park big enough with in 20 kms of sydney cbd that would be big enough for 50 size helis ?? and that residentice wouldnt complain about the noise/danger to the public?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:00 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,117 Posts
That was exactly why I mentioned "electric heli club". I believe that nitro helis have no place other than at clubs where other nitro aircraft fly, for the reasons you mention. But electric helis don't have the noise issue to deal with, and there are plenty of indoor sports stadiums which I'm sure could be used on a cooperative basis. The Melbourne guys have been doing it for some time, and they simply divide the rent by the number of pilots.

Insurance can be sorted by insisting on MAAA membership.

It can be done, and would be a breeze compared to organising hire, CAMS permit, insurance cover etc etc for full-size car khanacross events, which I have done for many years. Electric helis are risk-free by comparison....

BTW, I would be surprised if it also wasn't possible to obtain permission for R/C helis to fly somewhere in the Olympic complex... the NSW government is always looking for activities that could lessen the emptiness of that place, and residences are far away from there...
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:36 PM
Sydney, Down under
Joined Aug 2003
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomPC
Hi All,

I mainly fly .50 size electric helis.

i think these are a bit to big for inside halls. and this is what he mainly flies so i think he needs to be at a club outside with maaa membership. we used to have a indoor flying meeting at a local basketball but insaurane put a end to it.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 08:59 PM
Australia, NSW, Cherrybrook
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Even though my entire fleet is electric my Logo 14 can still generate a bit of noise from the rotor blades "beating" the air but they're are a lot quieter than nitro helis.

Insurance and public safety is a valid point. Flying in a park with public access would always have curious onlookers or those zealous fools who think they're entitled to walk their dog accross the flight path etc.

My biggest fear is not damaging my heli, but damaging someone elses property or injuring someone else.

Like i said, i'm a member of two electric clubs. One of them has a superb field with no access for the general public. I'm the only serious heli flier in the club. I tend to fly a different pattern than the fixed wing flyers so i usually arrange with them for a 10 minute flight window to avoid any interference.
The clubs official flying time day is sunday morning so now I also tend to fly on non-club days like saturdays. Perhaps i could arrange with the club to make saturdays a heli flying day and encourage more members to join.
CustomPC is offline Find More Posts by CustomPC
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:25 PM
Sydney, Down under
Joined Aug 2003
1,080 Posts
Quote:
Even though my entire fleet is electric my Logo 14 can still generate a bit of noise from the rotor blades "beating" the air but they're are a lot quieter than nitro helis.

Insurance and public safety is a valid point. Flying in a park with public access would always have curious onlookers or those zealous fools who think they're entitled to walk their dog accross the flight path etc.

My biggest fear is not damaging my heli, but damaging someone elses property or injuring someone else.

Like i said, i'm a member of two electric clubs. One of them has a superb field with no access for the general public. I'm the only serious heli flier in the club. I tend to fly a different pattern than the fixed wing flyers so i usually arrange with them for a 10 minute flight window to avoid any interference.
The clubs official flying time day is sunday morning so now I also tend to fly on non-club days like saturdays. Perhaps i could arrange with the club to make saturdays a heli flying day and encourage more members to join.
where is this club??
Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:17 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,117 Posts
Quote:

Sorry, I missed the bit about .50 size electric, as I am into smaller ones.

Perhaps you might like to post a tentative Saturday date and see who responds. Is this the Fagan Park club?