Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:38 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi
...I hope you guys are pleased with the result because it won't get a lot better than that
The important thing is, does it please you? I, personally, think it looks great.

I tried a similar method with my Fokker D.VIII and would have used it except for the one problem. I couldn't get the printed tissue to lie flat on the front of the fuselage where there were compound curves.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:50 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
I certainly like it. Well, time to bed, but I'll have a last look at what the dope is doing

Larry, I recall that the D.VIII front did give me some nasty problems with the templates as well. Compound curves are nasty ...
edi is online now Find More Posts by edi
Old Apr 19, 2006, 06:55 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,513 Posts
I like it too. Even if there are disputes on color, yours look very attractive and with the variations in the field, who can really say what the exact colors were?
I'm experimenting with updating the colors to make them closer to what is believed to be the original. I think....
--Kurt
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:01 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,182 Posts
It looks like lozenge Edi, and that's what you're after. I think the plane will look great when it's all together.

By the way, I've been wondering, but what is the correct German terminlogy for the lozenge pattern? I have a feeling it was not a translation of "lozenge" into Engish, but that the British nicknamed it that because that's how it looks.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Apr 19, 2006 at 07:55 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:29 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Yes, it's a nickname. I have read "Wabenmuster" in a German WW1 book, but I don't know whether this was the official term.

Thanks for your nice words, guys!
Old Apr 26, 2006, 06:05 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Not too much done. The elevator is ecospanned and lozenged, I have ripped off the tissue from the rudder and put on some ecospan (lozenge pending), and today I have covered the lower wing with ecospan and doped lozenge on the upper side. Yes, this lower wing (w.o. the ailerons) took the whole evening so it will be some time until this one will fly ...
Old May 12, 2006, 02:35 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Time for a short update. I have lozenged a bit more (part of the ailerons, bottom of middle wing), but my inkjet doesn't print properly any more. Since we need a color printer, we have now ordered a color laser printer which should arrive any day. It's a HP 2550 L which even has the possibility of passing the paper through so it won't be bent. Should be just the ticket for paper models and hopefully for lozenge, too. We'll see how this will work.
Old May 13, 2006, 03:43 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Well, the printer has arrived. I have already tested how to bring it on and I can use the same stuff I use for sealing Polyspan. However, the color saturation is not quite as good as it was with the inkjet. Is there anything I can do about that? Has anybody printed on tissue with a color laser printer?
Old May 28, 2006, 10:11 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Well, the saturation continued to look very crappy so I'll revive the inkjet printer for that. And in case you haven't yet guessed it, my next plane will not have any lozenge
Old May 28, 2006, 10:35 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Quaint Lozenge Blues

I have to do this finish which is a pain.
Have to do this finish which is a pain
'cause my model's a German WWI plane.

Five color lozenge, on this 30" wing
makes my printer run out of color ink.
I'd never start it, if I were you
'cause the next cartridge gives a diff'rent hue.

I got the Quaint Lozenge Blues, just as blue as ink can be.
This plane's got so many wings: It's got three.
Or else, I wouldn't have built it and I'd be free.

Well, I am almost done (half of the ailerons and top wing bottom missing). In the pics, the parts aren't yet fixed and only middle and bottom wing are really sitting where they are supposed to. The new color cartridge gives me a different hue, but I hope it's not too noticeable.

Interestingly, I have a slight dihedral now in the bottom wing. I wonder whether I shouldn't leave it like that because I had the same thing in my Pfalz Triplane which flew very nicely ...
Old Jun 10, 2006, 04:32 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Time for a short update. I am in the midst of building a 1:1 workshop and I have been ill for the last two weeks, but at least I've put everything on the scales today

The weight of the bones is 230g, but there's quite something to add: R/C gear, motor, battery pack, ip and cabane struts, decals, LG fairing, cockpit fairing, tailskid. I suppose the AUW will be 750-800g which should be ok, giving a wing loading of something around 30g/dm2.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 05:43 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
lozenge blues (again)

Hi all,

today I got the rest of the ailerons done. Hinging is next. Unfortunately, the lozenge did not come out the same. I have two different hues and two different types of tissue paper as I see now. Well, the different hues can be spotted on the earlier pics, but the tissue issue is new. The tissue I have used on the ailerons is obviously thicker and has a higher density so the colors are more saturated. It actually looks much better, but I certainly won't redo the rest At least, the ailerons look alike and I am sure the lozenge producers didn't exactly recreate the same colors every time.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:23 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,182 Posts
Obviously different fabrics from different manufacturers. Such was life for the aircraft industry in shortage ravaged 1918 Germany. I applaud you efforts to duplicate this phenomena on your model.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:30 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
And I thought it was due to the fact that there were more Albatros biplanes than triplanes so you would expect some more weathering on two wings than on the third, right?
Old Jun 15, 2006, 06:43 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,182 Posts
Ahhh. You are probably correct, Sir.

I received my latest issue of Model Aviation Canada last week, and there was a plane that made me immediately think of you. Maybe Kurt will kit it for you!