HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2006, 04:01 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
He, he, that's a good one - and one you can always coin for your needs. OK guys, you have deserved a little update. The cutouts are roughtly cut, the tail part of the fuselage has been padded with thick balsa (I have carved out the blocks on the inside) that has been roughly planed to shape.
I haven't sheeted the vertical stab although it looks like it and although I had planned to. But being smart I thought I would sand it down with my new stationary rotary sander. To make things easier, I sanded one side, sheeted it and started sanding down the stab. Unfortunately, it got so thin it got just sucked into the casing and ground to bits. That would even have been repairable if I hadn't sheeted one side already. So I decided simply to cut a new piece from balsa ply - that's the bit you see here.

I am very pleased so far - an elegant, sleek albatrossy triplane, just what I liked so much about Jim's videos.
Now please don't expect too much progress; soon a lot of fillering and doping will be involved and I won't be able to do that in the house so it will have to wait until spring. It's -5 C here and I just don't feel like freezing in the shed.
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2006, 04:52 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,234 Posts
Even with that crazy stack of wings, the sleek and sexy Albatros lines shine through! Looks great!
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Jan 28, 2006 at 07:52 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2006, 06:18 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Some progress

Hi all,

first I have to apologize for the long delay, but real-life matters were keeping me efficiently from modelling. I have done the nose now and a balsa plug for the spinner. I want to use that to form a plastic spinner from a water bottle. I have also mounted the wings properly, rebent the LG and done some work on the IP struts. Looks very nice in my eyes. BTW, my wife is holding the plane and she's not 7ft tall - our ceiling is 6ft only in that part of the house.

Mounting the bottom wing is trickier than it seems if you want to have the LG in place, too: Insert the back legs of the LG, then plug in the bottom wing, then put in the front legs. Just be sure you don't glue the bottom wing in place first, you're in real trouble then. (Please remind me of that after the covering )

Ah yes, I have also done my first mod to the construction. Sorry Kurt, I am just to beefyhanded to do it the way it was designed. My problem was that the sheeting of the middle wing root was designed to be hidden in the fuselage so it would be scale, but the ribs always got caught in the fuselage sheeting when I didn't pay attention. So I decided to sand off the sheeting and put on new 1/32" sheeting extending one rib further so it will stick out. That will also make it easier for me to avoid damage to the covering during the final assembly.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:54 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,286 Posts
Edi

The Albatross is really looking nice. If you ever come to the eastern US, you are welcome to stay at my place here in Richmond, VA. We are close to the Smithsonian Aerospace Museum, the Marine Corps Museum, the Virginia Air Museum (has an original Tomas Morse Scout and an original restored Spad), the Aerospace Museum in Norfolk and lots of good model flying. On top of that, Williamsburg is close by. And within a day's drive is the Wright Patterson Air Force Museum. Would love to have you visit.

Pat Daily
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 07:20 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Pat,

thanks for the nice words and the invitation. I'd love to accept it, but I am not planning a visit to the U.S. Also, long distance flight aren't good for my health, unfortunately. But please help my ignorance, what is Williamsburg? (And don't forget to tell when you should drop in to Germany - no good Aircraft museums around here, I'm afraid )

Edi
Old Apr 16, 2006, 02:18 PM
Joined Mar 2001
5,286 Posts
Williamsburg was the colonial capital of the colonies before the American Revolution. It was restored thanks to the Rockefellers in the 1930s and still functions as a colonial village. The College of William and Mary, dating from 1693 is located there and my daughter will graduate from William and Mary in a few weeks. It is a lovely place to vacation and shop. They even have a winery that has French architecture. It is about 45 miles from Richmond.

Edi, I lived in Munich (Munchen) from 1949-51 as a little boy. My father was in charge of rebuilding civil aviation in Bavaria after the war. He rebuilt Munich Reim Airport and trained the staff, including Graf Castel. I can remember a Bf-109 that was in the hangar there--it had been hidden away, but was found and unfortunately turned over to the commission that destroyed war material. My father flew it and loved it.

In 2000, we went back to Munich on vacation and I found the house in the Harlachen area that we lived in 50 years earlier and the family gave us a tour. It was beautiful home overlooking the Isar River. The Munich museum has a lovely collection of early aircraft including a Fokker DVII and a Spin. I have several photos that I should post here. We may go back to Munich this summer after my daughter graduates. How far are you from Munich?

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Daily; Apr 16, 2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 04:10 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Pat,

we're about a three to four hours drive from Munich, pretty straightforward. You're very welcome to drop in and stay with us, but be prepared for a chaos! Our house is about 200-300 years old and we've been doing major repairs since we moved in three years ago (and we'll keep doing them for at least another five years ). Might be interesting for you.

Back to modelling now: I have done some work on the dummy motor. It has a dowel sticking out of the back which goes into a hole in a bulkhead. It's kept in place with rare earth magnets. As I am afraid of breaking the nice exhaust manifold (the grain runs the short way) I have decided to use 1/32" music wire as a reinforcement. You can see them on the third and the sixth exhaust, there is another one in the first now. I have also taken a leaf of Frank's book and dremeled out the end of the main exhaust so it looks more like a tube and less like balsa. I have even searched my references and found some good pics of the Mercedes so I'll be able to add some more detail. Wouldn't have dreamed of doing anything like that a year ago! Weird things you guys are getting me into
Old Apr 17, 2006, 08:02 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,286 Posts
Beautiful exhaust header!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 03:34 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Thanks! The credit, however, must go to Frank as I've seen how he's done it on his beautiful Albatros C.III.
Now here is a bit more work done on the dummy engine. I have added the cylinder caps and a bit more according to the pics I could find. The "nose" in the fuselage sticking up between cylinder 3 and 4 is very prominent on my pics of the Dr.1 so I thought I'd do it. Meanwhile, I have fillered fuselage, nose, dummy engine and vertical stabilizer several times. Some sanding, some more fillering and we should be ready for covering.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 05:05 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Hmmm, time for a test. I took Jim Horner's beautiful pdf files (thanks a bunch, Jim!) and thought I'd just start with the rudder for a first try. I glued the tissue to a piece of paper with white glue and printed it out. Looks good. It will definitely be transparent this way but I might just like it - I love it when the sun shines through the construction.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 05:45 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,234 Posts
Great job on the Mercedes, Edi. The extra detail you have added to the cylinder heads is really nice. The best thing about a place like E-Zone is you can learn so much from other people's builds. I can't begin to think about how much I've picked up from this forum.

The lozenge looks good, too. I hope the printed tissue works for you. Painting it was a real pain!
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Apr 18, 2006, 06:07 AM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
I'll probably try this evening. The real problem is that I don't know how to make this dummy engine spin

Hmm, maybe lots of aileron throw?
Old Apr 18, 2006, 02:54 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Here is the dummy motor after a lot of filler and a few splash of colors. Not half bad compared to what I used to produce here

First test with lozenge printing: While ok on paper, the tissue is very transparent. I am considering to cover her with (white? cream?) Ecospan first and apply the dope on top of that.
Old Apr 18, 2006, 03:19 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Nothing like answering your own question: I made a quick test with the leftovers from the rudder. I doped them onto white and cream litespan (ecospan). Printed tissue on white ecospan might just be the ticket.
Old Apr 19, 2006, 05:27 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,713 Posts
Taking lozenge

OK, here it goes. The rudder has finally disqualified itself due to excessive dope blushing

Well, I find the elevator much more important anyway So I have covered it with white Ecospan (=Litespan), printed the lozenge (this time the one from Kurt's files for a change) and doped it onto the white Ecospan. The dope is not dry yet, so please keep your fingers crossed it won't blush

Other than that, I hope you guys are pleased with the result because it won't get a lot better than that