HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2006, 04:08 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,720 Posts
Aaaaah, finally I got myself to cut the stringers, but hey - before I could add the stringers I would have to make the cabane and LG mounts, which is one of my least liked jobs But it's done now and looks ok
You can see some of the stringers added and the cabane mounts on top and the LG mounts at the bottom (left and right).
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2006, 04:52 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,720 Posts
Now the other stringers are in place. Time to go to bed. On the second pic, you can see I have used Sullivan tubes instead of brass tube! Silly me, they were supposed to go into the cabane mounts only ... I managed to pull it out on the front LG mount, but for the rear I'll probably have to drill it out
As I said, time to go to bed ...
Old Jan 19, 2006, 08:27 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Boy edi, lookin good. There for a moment though I thought you were trying to put it back in kit form. Keep em comin.....Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Jan 22, 2006, 04:18 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,720 Posts
I have started with the sheeting. After considering sheeting and planking I have taken a method I have used 20 years ago and which works best for me. I have sanded the regions between every to stringers flat and sheeted every second gap. That's easy because there are only non-compound curves now. After that. the left gaps get sanded down to the formers again leaving only a part of the planks. Then these gaps get sheeted and the fuselage will be planed and sanded to the intended round form.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:35 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,409 Posts
Nice work Edi. We are watching, fear not! I know how you feel, though. If this were a thread about a P-51, Sopwith Camel, or other high profile plane people would be flocking to the thread, but as it is a non mainstream type, you don't get as many views.
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jan 24, 2006, 10:21 AM
Dresden, Germany, europe, planet earth
Joined Aug 2003
776 Posts
Edi,
looking good so far! How much weight has been added with your way of sheeting? How thick are the planks?

Kuni
Kuni is offline Find More Posts by Kuni
Old Jan 24, 2006, 12:52 PM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
I'm with the inn crowd too buddy. I am enjoying your build and believe it or not, you are getting me hooked on this design. Strange as it seems, I never thought anything but the Fokker would look good with 3 wings. Push on my friend.....Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Jan 24, 2006, 01:09 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,720 Posts
Greg, you should have a look at Jim Horner's build thread of his Albatros Dr.1 and especially at the videos! Quite another triplane than the Fokker but very nice, too.

Kuni,
I have used about 3 sheets of light 3mm balsa for the whole fuselage, but about one third of it has been planed off again. So the sheeting is now about 2mm thick and I don't think I have added much weight, if at all. It's a bit more wood, but way less glue.
Old Jan 24, 2006, 02:36 PM
Maui, HI
Joined Sep 2001
106 Posts
edi,
I'm looking!!! Great build thread, keep it up!
Mike
mescal1 is offline Find More Posts by mescal1
Old Jan 24, 2006, 04:59 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
edi,
I always look at your posts. Its just that I have so little experience I don't know what to say at times.What I do know is that your builds look great and I learn alot from them.
Mike
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:04 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
i'm still lurking in the backround. as usual, nice lookin' ship.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:09 PM
Electricholics Anonymous
WARREN, MICHIGAN
Joined Jul 2005
1,959 Posts
edi,
Ohio State fans are like that ( sgtdirt)they kinda lurk in the background. GO MICHIGAN!!!
claybuster is offline Find More Posts by claybuster
Old Jan 24, 2006, 05:45 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,720 Posts
OK, I'll make sure I won't fly over Ohio during the maiden. Although ... looking at that gun of yours ... maybe I'll avoid Michigan, too!!
Old Jan 24, 2006, 08:28 PM
Suspended Account
Mentor, OH
Joined Dec 2004
8,426 Posts
ouch... that hurt....naw, not really.

Q. what did the Michigan U. grad say to the Ohio State grad?
A. you want fries with that?

just a little humor to break things up.
sgtdirt is offline Find More Posts by sgtdirt
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)