HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2001, 09:34 AM
SMB
Austin, Texas usa
Joined Jun 2001
101 Posts
Dare Models Fokker DR1

Has anyone built and flown this Kit? It is not the smaller one but the 32" wingspan model. It calls for a 400 set-up but I am building a much heavier version for durability. Any input would be greatly appreciated.. On a related note, what is the best way to bend balsa. The kit calls for bending 3/32 and 1/8 strips. Thanks....
SMB is offline Find More Posts by SMB
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2001, 11:25 AM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,528 Posts
HI:
I have this kit and the DVIII and DVII ( all Pat Tritle designs). I have built the DVII and am finishing the DVIII. The DVII flies pretty well although it is somewhat underpowered. I am planning to go to a geared 4:1 6V S400 or even a Permax 480 for the DVIII swinging a 11x7 prop.

I have called Pat several times for advise on building thses kits and he is very helpful. He last recommended a Speed 280 geared 4:1 with a 9x6 prop for the DR1. He indicated that the power plant that the design recommends ( S400 geared 2.3:1 and a 9x4.7 prop) is too hot for the plane. I plan to use a S300 with the 4:1 gearrbox. Also you will have to play around with battery placement to get the CG right in all his models.

BTW, bending the music wire as per the plan does not work. The best way is to mount the wings using artists foam board and measure the distances from the hard points then bend the wire to fit. Use the plan for the mounting alignments.

Bending the balsa is easy. Soak it in household ammonia for 5 min. or so and it will bend easily. I use a magnetic building board and use magnets to hold the wet balsa on the plan. I use Super Phatic or diluted Titebond to glue the lams together and set overnight.

Hope this helps.

Kurt
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Old Jun 28, 2001, 01:11 PM
SMB
Austin, Texas usa
Joined Jun 2001
101 Posts
HI Kurt and thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it! I have built Guillows kits since I was a kid but this is the first Kit I am building that hopefully will fly! It will take me a while but I will post a report when it is done. At the present time, I have built the fuselage and lower 2 wings. I appreciate your suggestions on the wire bending. I had dipped the Balsa in our pool for 20 minutes and that helped but I still broke most of it. Thanks on the amonia suggestion! The plane is going to be heavier that is why I was concerned on the motor size. I am doing some planking and gussett work to beef it up so it might survive it's maiden crash! Sounds like you like their kits overall. I was looking at the DVII or possibly the EIII if this one works out. Thanks again so much for your advice and help!!!
Old Jun 28, 2001, 04:09 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,734 Posts
Nooooo

Don't beef it up!!! It won't help. I have the Sopwith Tripe and my airplane flies beautifully on an 8 cell 720 NiMH pack, and a MTM Wasp geared 8:1 (Speed 280 BB) swinging an 11 x 7 prop at 17 ounces. The airplane flies very realistically- climbs well, loops tightly, won't roll worth a plugged nickel- kind of like the full size version except that I think that one rolled better.

The Sopwith Tripe is pretty easy to fly because it is slow, but you have to be careful not to drop a wing in turns. Add washout on all wings!

All you will accomplish by beefing it up is make it hit the ground harder. Essentially this is a delicate airplane- fly it as such and you'll have fun. If you want to bash the ground- get a Zagi.

P.S. I got frustrated with a lot of the strip wood in my kit and replaced it. Also try soaking wood for 24 hours or more- and make sure it's completely submerged.

Sam Brauer
Norwalk, CT
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jun 28, 2001, 05:06 PM
Designing on the edge
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Mar 2001
1,528 Posts
Hi:

My Fokker DVII was my first flying kit after many Guillows kits too. It always gets a lot of attention at the flying field. I covered it with Polyspan from Model Resarch Labs. I did have a lot of problems with the landing gear and wheel breakage on hard landings. I was using those Czech wire spoked wheels from Hobby Lobby but they broke on landing almost every flight. Now I use Wingo wheels and they are much stronger. Needless to say keep it light to minimise these problems.

It is hard to keep it from noseing over too. Lots of up elevator needed on touch down.

Kurt

I agree about the washout.
Bengtson is offline Find More Posts by Bengtson
Old Jun 30, 2001, 12:58 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,734 Posts
By the way- I threw out Pat's idea of the landing gear. I went to a single main wire which I sewed to the firewall- probably 1/16" or 3/32" I think what's included in the kit but I"m not sure. The back landing gear struts are strictly dummies- I actually one pieced the struts and axle by bending it into a U. The ends of the wires ride in little pieces of nyrod (plastic pushrod sheathing) I haven't touched the gear since I've flown the plane. I too went to those Czech wheels and they've been fine after I glued the tires to the hub. If I'm flying on pavement, about 50% of the time, I can land the airplane without nosing over, although with that narrow track, handling is pretty grim. On grass- forget it- noseover city. Takeoffs are not bad though.

Sam
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Jun 30, 2001, 12:58 AM
SMB
Austin, Texas usa
Joined Jun 2001
101 Posts
Thanks for all of your input guys. I really appreciate it. I will build accordingly with your advice.. Thanks!!!! Steve
Old Sep 05, 2001, 04:58 AM
Thisted, Denmark
Joined Jul 2000
257 Posts
Hej Steve

I have built Dare Dr1 and itīs a nice little plane. I built it as shown on the plan,(did you get an instruktion? I just got a plan with some hints and tips on. If it had been my first plane, I would not have been able to built it)

I use a Speed400,7,2v/ gear 1,85:1, 8 500mA cells, 9x5 Graupner Slim-prop and it works great. I allso bent the pianowire as the plan showed and I found it ok. You just have to remember the washout in the wings.

Maybe I have done something wrong but I followed the plan, and Iīm not going to tell my Fokker Dr1 that itīs built wrong, because it flies great as it is.

Hans
Hans is offline Find More Posts by Hans
Old Sep 06, 2001, 12:15 AM
Laguna, CA
Joined Sep 2001
133 Posts
Thanks for the hints on the Dare kits - I'm trying a Marionette as my first attempt, and if I can pull it off without gluing my are to the table, I'd like to try the sopwith tri. As a newbie, I've got to agree on the comments about weak directions. With years of woodworking, I can come up with a solution, but probably a much more complicated route than using those ancient secret modelling tricks all your guys seems to know.
Before the HDrive crash, SL wisely advised me to try flying a LiteStik first. I'll be heading to the park this Friday for my first round of crash testing!
Erinair is offline Find More Posts by Erinair
Old Nov 30, 2001, 05:30 PM
Dallas,Texas,U.S.A.
Joined Jul 2001
17 Posts
Can someone recommend the best way to build the washout into these wings. I've done that with balsa covered wings, but these are film covered.

Thanks.
Wrongway Feldman is offline Find More Posts by Wrongway Feldman
Old Nov 30, 2001, 06:09 PM
TN
Joined Feb 2001
163 Posts
A very good source for spoked wheels for golden age airplanes is the Walmart toy dept. Look for the scale bicycles. The ones I use came off a bike that cost $4.00. They have metal spokes/rims, metal screw-in hubs and will take a great deal more abuse than plastic.
Frank is offline Find More Posts by Frank