SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:50 PM
zoidburg! (\/)(;,;)(\/)
Lansing Capital, Michigan, United States
Joined Apr 2004
605 Posts
the butcher bird(FW-190)

i made a FW-190 outta FFF... well kinda. i made the entire thing by memory, a little 3 veiw and an old pico stick type project, i butcherd it into a butcher bird not to mention since it was eyballed it looks like a buthcherd 190. i think i will camm it the FW-190BA(butcherd A model) . not that brongs me to my next point... there is alot of gaps and places that need to be filled. what could i use to fill them in that is foam safe and sandable. i would like link for it too if possible. setup will be a 2 cell 2100 TP li-po, gws 300/350 C(or simmilar), and gws naro servos. i plan on it using A/E/T setup. with this be good for it? it has about a 33" WS the size of ans alfa or flying styro.

-Chris
kase_kopf is offline Find More Posts by kase_kopf
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:51 PM
zoidburg! (\/)(;,;)(\/)
Joined Apr 2004
605 Posts
here are pics and how i am going to paint it.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:57 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,702 Posts
Use Red Devil or DAP Lite Spackle. Sands easy. Very light. It's used for filling nail holes in drywall.
Any hardware place will have it.

J
J Morgan is online now Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Dec 14, 2005, 11:25 PM
tissue for issue
Beavertown Oregon
Joined Jan 2005
324 Posts
nice job. looks like a fg build
wired one is offline Find More Posts by wired one
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:25 AM
zoidburg! (\/)(;,;)(\/)
Joined Apr 2004
605 Posts
thanks for the comments. i will have to check some hardware places tomarrow. and will my recomended setup work? and will testors paints work? sorry for the question i have been into rc cars and trucks latley
Old Dec 15, 2005, 06:59 AM
Glider guider
United States, FL, Sun City Center
Joined Oct 2005
359 Posts
Filling & painting

Kase:
Nice looking work! Here's what I learned (and use)from the guys in these forums:
Fill any large holes or gaps by gluing in scraps of foam. Then fill any smaller gaps with the light-weight spackle that the others recommended.
Now you have to decide just how nice a finish you'll be happy with. If you're only building a "flyer" not interested in a really nice looking finish, skip the next paragraph.
To prepare a nice smooth surface for a great paint job, mix up a thin mixture of the spackle and water. Make it about the same consistancy as wallpaper paste or pea soup. Paint a thin coat of that all over the entire model to fill the pores in the foam. When dry, sand it almost all off with gradually finer sandpaper grades until you have a nice smooth surface.
Paint with a WATER-BASED paint. Most guys use the acrylic paints found at places like Michaels or Hobby Lobby. The brand name is: Delta Ceramcoat. It comes in many colors for around 87 cents per bottle. It's easy to mix colors to get exactly what you want. It can be thinned with water or windshield washer fluid and sprayed with a cheap airbrush.
Some brave guys use cans of spray paint which contain solvents, but they only spray MIST COATS from a couple of feet away. That allows most of the solvents to evaporate before reaching the foam.
Remember, any paint is heavy. Don't over do it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Thom
Speedo125 is offline Find More Posts by Speedo125
Old Dec 15, 2005, 09:55 AM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
Wow, very nice! Any chance you'll post plans?
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:43 PM
zoidburg! (\/)(;,;)(\/)
Joined Apr 2004
605 Posts
ok cool my mom works at hobby lobby . i will try to reverse engineir the plane cause i wanted to make another. i will let you know but it may be a liit while though cause i kinda winged it on some things, and if i do make planes i will be sure to make the tail thicker(or not).
Old Dec 15, 2005, 02:36 PM
Things are looking up...
Orlando, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
1,434 Posts
I'm with Speedo125. Fill gaps as much as possible with foam bits and slices, then light weight spackle, then inexpensive water based paint you can get at a craft store.

You've done the hard part, and that's get the look of the plane - there's no mistaking what bird that is! Now you can do the easy part and (I think) fun, filling and sanding, and I bet you find yourself realizing you can build a pretty smooth good looking model pretty cheap. After that it is just how much time you want to spend painting and detailing. You can thin poster board paint with Windex or alcohol (or water!) and airbrush, or if you are really going cheap and fast just brush it on (not my first choice).

I found the light weight spackle sands with about the same resistance and consistency as the blue foam, so it is a perfect match. And it sticks surprisingly well too.

Here's an in-process filling I did to smooth out the gaps in a 190D a while back. Looking forward to your finished product, I love FW's.

Rick
mechrick is offline Find More Posts by mechrick
Old Dec 15, 2005, 03:14 PM
zoidburg! (\/)(;,;)(\/)
Joined Apr 2004
605 Posts
beutiful plane! i absolutly love it! i want to make something like that when i find some plans or somthing so i can actually make it look nice. i dont have an air brish, thats why i asked it testoe enamel would work. my uncle has an airbrush maybe he will help me out when it comes to paint it.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 09:19 PM
Things are looking up...
Orlando, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kase_kopf
beutiful plane! i absolutly love it! i want to make something like that when i find some plans or somthing so i can actually make it look nice. i dont have an air brish, thats why i asked it testoe enamel would work. my uncle has an airbrush maybe he will help me out when it comes to paint it.
I followed about the same plan as yours - none. Just some inboard views. Your FW looks awesome so far!

Here was my build, maybe you can see how I put my gear in, but I'd say you were doing perfectly well:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=mechrick

The biggest problem with Testor's enamels is that these planes are BIG when you start painting, and you can go through a lot of bottles of enamel and end up spending more on the paint than on the rest of the plane (minus gear of course). I was so happy when a buddy pointed out all the colors of poster paint they had at the fabric and craft store for about a buck apiece. And I could probably do 4 planes with one bottle. I bet your uncle will love to paint her, or help you get started airbrushing.

Rick
Old Dec 15, 2005, 09:21 PM
zoidburg! (\/)(;,;)(\/)
Joined Apr 2004
605 Posts
alright, i went out to menards and baugt some spakle. it isnt dap... it is called red devel light spakle. i have been filling holes and cracks and it works great! i will post some more pics when i am done sanding it later.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 09:25 PM
zoidburg! (\/)(;,;)(\/)
Joined Apr 2004
605 Posts
oh.. i seen you buld a while ago when i was browsing and i remember thinking "i wish i could do that good" so you(mechrick) are kinda the reson i did this . one day i too will build one the way you built yours, infact i am even bookmarking the thread!
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:22 AM
zoidburg! (\/)(;,;)(\/)
Joined Apr 2004
605 Posts
well here are some progress pics...
Old Dec 16, 2005, 10:42 AM
Things are looking up...
Orlando, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
1,434 Posts
Looking good, that tail area looks awefully familiar - don't worry about the tail being a single piece thick, just sand the leading edge a little round. I see you are going to attach your wings with rubber bands - smart (I'm always having to screw and unscrew the thing to get at the battery). You'll be surprised how nice it starts to look when you start sanding. I use the different color foam sanding pads from Home Depot.

And are you going to use some clear plastic for the canopy? Looks like you have a foam pattern there. You could paint it, or just find a clear plastic sheet (I save old action figure packages and various other plastic packaging) and bend one up using your pattern. Just use some clear packing tape to hold the clear plastic joints together and it will look great.

Rick