HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2005, 03:58 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
Question
GWS DHC-2 Beaver for indoor?

Im wanting a full fuse slow flyer for our clubs indoor meets and I would get lots of attention with the Beaver, but is it as slow as a Slow Stick to be a decent indoor flyer?
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2005, 04:41 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Unless you have a large area the Beaver is not a great indoor flyer. A Slow Stick will fly much slower. The Pico Tiger moth and Pico Cub are good indoor flyers that can be used outdoors as well.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 14, 2005, 04:48 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
I've had the Tiger(not powerfull enough, even on 7cells after all the mods it needed to be a good flyer) and both J3s and sold my Slow Stick (a sin, I know ) and want something different and bigger because everyone else has 3D, but no regular Slow Flyers and seeing as the Beaver is the only GWS slow flyer I havent had yet, I figured i'd ask if I could give it a try.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 05:02 PM
But it wasnt like that b4
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2004
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
I've had the Tiger(not powerfull enough, even on 7cells after all the mods it needed to be a good flyer) and both J3s and sold my Slow Stick (a sin, I know ) and want something different and bigger because everyone else has 3D, but no regular Slow Flyers and seeing as the Beaver is the only GWS slow flyer I havent had yet, I figured i'd ask if I could give it a try.
The pico tiger with Feigao brushless motor and 3S 700mah pack flys quite well.
The RC Rat is offline Find More Posts by The RC Rat
Old Dec 14, 2005, 05:34 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
I never liked the way the Tiger flew and for 50bucks and the BL setup I could get another good 3Der or a couple more indoor floaters so another Tiger isnt worth my time.

Is the Beaver almost as slow as the Slow Stick?
Does it have the same rudder control reponce and athrotity? If so, then I dont see why I couldnt fly it in our area?
Old Dec 14, 2005, 06:28 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Okay, I just found out about these things, and have yet to get one myself... but check out http://www.coxmodels.com and look at thier Micro warbirds.

They look pretty promising... I'm getting one.

-Chris

PS: A big thanks to Bruff for showing me these models.
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Dec 14, 2005, 07:36 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
I seen some of thoughs at wal-mart but I got a micro flyer instead which turned out to be more fun indoors than I think one of these would be, but maybe i'll try one sence I'd be the only one with a warbird
Old Dec 14, 2005, 09:02 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Check out the street fighters at Northeast Sailplanes. My next door neighbor has one and it's a blast...
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 14, 2005, 09:11 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
GWS Beaver can be a nice indoor model as well.

If you use IPS system with about 2 cells 300mAh Li-Po pack, cut some of the foam fuselage, keep the weight light.

GWS Beaver can be a nice indoor model as well.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Dec 15, 2005, 07:27 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
Really!
I might have to try an IPS-D if I can use a prop smaller than 12"!

I'll probably make a bigger rudder and get as much dihedral out of the wings as I can and still not have it look too stupid.

Thanks Mr. Lin!
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:31 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
Well, I got my stock EPS350C-C powered Beaver swinging a 10x4.7 prop on 8 GWS 750mAh cells and it flies just like the GWS J3-F when I put an EPS300C-B w/9x7 with one difference... IT WILL HOVER!!!!!!!

At full throttle on the new GWS 750's and 10x4.7 prop the EPS350C will hover it right at full throttle! Its so much fun surprising my friends! After a nice slow flight, I bring it in for a landing, then just hit the throttle and pull full back and hover it right there about head high! Man I cant wait to amaze and maybe scare my flying buddies at our next fly-in!

It will fly slowly and scale like, very stable, but kick in that throttle and she gets wild, fast! Tight or tall loops and rudder rolls galore!
But thats, unbelievebly, not the best part!

I tryed an IPS-A w/9x7 and 10x4.7 prop on 7 GWS 150's and it flies almost as slow and turns faster and tighter than my J3-S! With the IPS rubber banded onto the stock EPS motor mount (which can act as a prop/prop shaft saver!) it pulls itself GREAT, even in the wind we've had! I can easly keep it in my back yard, almost easyer than I can my J3-S!

YES! A lightly built GWS Beaver can be a great indoor flyer by just adding an IPS-A and 7 150's.

Thank you, Mr. Lin, for the great idea for a great plane!
This plane is a blast with either an EPS or an IPS!
Old Dec 27, 2005, 02:14 AM
The Cocky One!
Modesto CA
Joined Nov 2004
940 Posts
Nice question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchone, Jake
Im wanting a full fuse slow flyer for our clubs indoor meets and I would get lots of attention with the Beaver, but is it as slow as a Slow Stick to be a decent indoor flyer?
The F Stick is a full fuse with a wing like the SS only smaller. It is a little faster but works indoor and has a fuse. Jarhead
Jarhead is offline Find More Posts by Jarhead
Old Dec 27, 2005, 09:47 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
Yes. I plan on getting one, but their $2 more at our LHS and I dont have a float flyer after I sold my Slow Stick so I went with the Beaver.

Is it fun? How does it compair to the J3's?
Old Dec 28, 2005, 03:54 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
The Beaver flys really well in confined spaces actually, I have yet to try any indoor flying, but I've been flying it recently late at night doing circuits between 2 stop signs (and somehow..as if it had nothing better to crash into.. the beaver crashed into both signs).. anyways I'd expect it to be a very good indoor flyer... it is faster than the SS but turns about as tightly if not more. Works very well with 2cell lipo and 350 B gearing and 9047 prop...
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2005, 01:50 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
I think thats a little heavy for good indoor flight sence the goal is to be slow, so I'd say the IPS with 10x4.7 and 2 cell is the best indoor setup for the beaver, but with the lipoes, you'd have to add about 2oz. to the nose

I added about 1.5oz. with NiCds!

I love mine with the IPS on it, but I still cant get over how it will hover with the EPS!

Its a great little airplane, but I still miss my Slow Stick!