HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2005, 12:46 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,315 Posts
Build Log
Aerodrome R/C 57" Albatros C.III Proto Build

About 14 months ago, I first floated the idea of enlarging the 38" Albatros C.III by Kurt Bengtson of Aerodrome R/C. He suggested that he would be willing to make a larger 57" version, and that I could do the prototype build. Rather than simply enlarging his smaller C.III, Kurt totally re-engineered the model, including much more detail, and a scale, under-cambered airfoil to boot. The wing attachment is unique, as it allows the left and right wing halves to be separated, and the top and bottom panels to remain together. This eliminates a lot of re-rigging when putting the airplane together.
The kit arrived today, and it was well worth waiting for!!!! The detail in the plans and the beautiful stack of laser cut wood are absolutely first rate. Notice the the 12" ruler in the photos; this is not a small model. Power will be an AXI 2826/10.
As this is the holiday season, things are a bit busy around the household at the moment. Construction will start in earnest after the holidays, although I don't think I can help myself but to start at least the tail feathers sooner!
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Jan 17, 2006 at 12:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2005, 01:20 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,315 Posts
Here's the planned colour scheme. Natural dark wood fuselage, poly span surfaces with dope.
The two seaters just never get the same respect as the fighters. This airplane has really nice lines, and will make a great flyer.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 01:58 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2004
1,917 Posts
Schweeeeeeeeeet. I agree, not too many people model the recon/bombers it seems. I don't know why, they look just as nice if not more.

Do you keep all these planes you build flyable?!
Wufnu is offline Find More Posts by Wufnu
Old Dec 13, 2005, 02:41 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jun 2000
2,600 Posts
OOOOOOOOOO Frank, I can't wait to see you perform your magic. This is the same way I ended up doing Kurt's 54" Alb DV. What can you say when a guy totally redesigns a kit for you.
Have at it and show us the pics,
Dave
dottney is offline Find More Posts by dottney
Old Dec 13, 2005, 02:55 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,485 Posts
Von

Looks great, keep us posted on the progress. I am doing a build for Kurts 54" SE5a. Lets meet at next years NEAT Fair and see who wins the battle!!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is online now Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Dec 13, 2005, 04:28 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,181 Posts
Frank:

The CIII looks like a great project and I really like your color scheme. This is going to be a big bird! I can't believe that you are going to stray from your beloved silkspan! Good luck and happy holidays.

Alex
Rekitter is offline Find More Posts by Rekitter
Old Dec 13, 2005, 06:56 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,315 Posts
Tail Feathers

Here's the horizontal stab and elevators. Nothing too difficult, glue and pin the parts down over the plans. I use aliphatic glue; I just like having a bit more time to position the parts, and I like the way it sands. The parts are laser cut from 3/16 sheet, and fit perfectly. A few pieces of 3/16 square form the cross pieces. There was enough of a "Border" around the 3/16 laser cut sheets that I was able to strip off 3/16" sq strips with my balsa stripper! It's also nice to have the small slots cut out where the control horns fit in. A nice change from hacking them out with a knife when I scratch build.
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Dec 14, 2005 at 05:28 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 07:14 PM
edi
Triplane addict
Elstertrebnitz, Germany
Joined Aug 2004
1,720 Posts
Hehe, Frank, I can see you are having fun. I also received a very nice kit today, but I'll finish the little Fokker Dr.1 first. I just love the color scheme with the white dragon! Pity I won't be able to come over for the maiden flight!
edi is offline Find More Posts by edi
Old Dec 14, 2005, 06:55 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,315 Posts
Fin & Rudder

The fin & rudder are also constructed from laser cut 3/16" balsa and some 3/16" balsa sticks. Once again, there was enough wood around the edges of the cut parts on the 3/16' sheet to strip off some square pieces.

Edi- a shame indeed! The dragon and crocodile paint will be a challenge, but at least there are only two colours. I think once it's done, it will be well worth the extra effort.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 08:58 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,315 Posts
Fuselage Sides

I know, I said I would only do the tail feathers, and the rest would wait until after the holidays. But I just couldn't resist starting the fuselage!

Each fuselage side is laminated from 5 pieces of 1/16" balsa, forming a side that is 3/16" at it's thickest point. Kurt has been very clever here! The joints are such that they don't overlap, ensuring maximum strength. Slots are cut in the sides for the various formers.

The first step is to remove and identify all the fuse side parts. I can't stress enough how important it is to familiarise yourself with the plans and the parts to ensure you build a left and right half, with the proper orientation of all the parts! The parts are well marked, and the plans are very clear, so take your time and everything goes very smoothly.

You must first join the front and rear halves of both the middle and outer fuselage sides. I use Ambroid balsa cement for this, as it sands better than most glues. The final finish on the fuselage on the prototype will be natural wood, so I did not want to use CA on this joint, as I am planning on using wood stain to achieve the dark colour. Stain will not work on a CA joint, leaving a very tell tale light line. Ambroid takes a while to dry, and for best results, requires the "Double gluing technique". First spread a light coat on each surface to be joined, let dry, then apply more glue and join the parts.

Here's how I like to join balsa sheeting:
Last edited by vonJaerschky; Dec 14, 2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:47 PM
Farnborough, Hampshire, England.
Joined Jan 2002
2,132 Posts
I somehow knew you would not resist the build after the fin and rudder!.

I'v been waiting for this one Frank.........looking good.!

ian
farnboro flyer is offline Find More Posts by farnboro flyer
Old Dec 16, 2005, 06:52 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,315 Posts
Fuselage Sides

I laminated the three layers together using Z-Poxy finishing and laminating resin. Using a plastic spreader, I spread a very thin coat of epoxy on the sides, aligned everything just so, and then piled weight on top until the epoxy cured. using a plastic spreader, you can get the glue on very thin, and it adds almost no weight. I didn't want to use CA because I wanted time to align things, and I was worried that aliphatic would cause warps. I did not put any glue between the layers at the nose, because there is quite a sharp bend at the front. I think if the 3 layers were solidly glued together, it would be very difficult to bend them later. That's one reason Kurt designed the sides like this, The grain of the middle layers runs perpendicular, making the bending easier. Once I join the sides, I'll add glue between the layers and bend them to shape. Once the glue dries, the bend will be permanent.

In the photo, I have pinned down a side and have started to add the longerons, stab mount doublers, and vertical reinforcements. (I got a little ahead of myself and installed a former when I should have waited.) The lines on the inside are something I do for every model. I draw a series of parallel lines 1/2" apart on the inside of the fuselage. When the fuselage is assembled, it makes aligning things like servo rails, etc, a breeze.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 07:57 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,315 Posts
The fuselage sides are joined together. It just seemed that with the shape of this fuselage, it was best to start at the rear and then work forward. Take your time, as this will decide whether you come out with a square fuselage.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:11 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,285 Posts
Lookin real good VonJ!!!! This should be a sweet bird......Greg
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old Dec 20, 2005, 07:35 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,315 Posts
A few photos to show my progress. It is going together really well. The nose takes a very sharp bend, but the fuse sides are designed so that the bend happens quite easily.

So much for "Oh, I'll maybe just put the tail feathers together, and wait until the holidays are over to go any further."