HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:07 PM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
NASF: New build thread by Larry O, He's one of our own

I saw that Larry O is doing a build thread on an OLY2. It's 100 inch thermal glider. A great glider and inexpensive to buy, build and fly. I thought you guys would be interested in following along with his build. In fact, there's going to be an OLY2 glider contest/funfly in June 2006. I'm hoping that a bunch of you guys will build a kit and join in the fun.

Here's the link to Larry's build thread. I'm taking notes and plan to follow his lead sometime in January.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450321

Get inspired!

PS, NASF stands for North Alabama Silent Fliers. This club has been in Huntsville for 18+ years. http://flynasf.org/
GLIDERGIDER is offline Find More Posts by GLIDERGIDER
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:10 PM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
I was looking at Larry's build thread again today, and I see that he's got his wing rod box built, and most importantly, he's illustrated very nicely how to "wrap" the wing rod box with kevlar and CA. Had I done this little job on my previous build, it would still be flying today. Live and learn.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=55

Check it out, there are some good pictures too.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 08:34 AM
Wnd was blowin time stood stil
Atlanta GA
Joined Oct 2004
476 Posts
Glider,

I have been looking at the oly2 but I have also been very interested in the "bird" series on the web site. More exactly the "lil bird2" I was just wondering if you know much about those models or have flown with people that fly them. I haven't researched it or anything like that. I just think they look really cool. I doubt I will be able to build one for a while but figured I might probe you for some information.

Thanks
Shannon
wheatfly is offline Find More Posts by wheatfly
Old Dec 15, 2005, 11:43 AM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatfly
Glider,

I have been looking at the oly2 but I have also been very interested in the "bird" series on the web site. More exactly the "lil bird2" I was just wondering if you know much about those models or have flown with people that fly them. I haven't researched it or anything like that. I just think they look really cool. I doubt I will be able to build one for a while but figured I might probe you for some information.

Thanks
Shannon
Shannon,
The "bird" series of Skybench products are a spinoff of the "Bird of Time" nostalalgia sailplane. Many folks have built and enjoyed this airplane and its history stretches back 20+ years. One question to you is why limit yourself to the 2 meter version. If it were me, I would go with the biggest bird they've got. Yet, for the beginner/first time builder, I have another recommendation, and that is the Oly2. If you build something, I encourage you to consider the OLY2.

The NASF group will be announcing to the world our plan to hold an OLY2 funfly/contest in June 2006. The winds usually are the calmest during that time. We chose this airplane because of its Beginner/Int performance range and it is such a great flying airplane. Its going to be a fun event. Jon Stone is the Contest Director and he brings loads of leadership experience.

There are two versions of the OLY2 available from Skybench.com. (I don't get any kick back from him) He now has a D-tubed version of the OLY2, that sounds really good.

A gathering of many OLY pilots in a contest/funfly gathering is going to be a great experience for any new and beginner sailplane pilot. There will be many advance pilots there to give tips and pointers to the novice. So don't miss out on this opportunity to make history with the North Alabama Silent Flyers.
Dave Cousins
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:22 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
Hey Dave,

What do you think about having a mid-build (sometime in January or Feburary) OLY2 party/grope where all the interested builders/flyers can get together (with or without their planes/builds) and exchange ideas?

We could hold it at a local eatery's back room or at an office meeting room and bring in chow.

The Rookie Builders (myself included) would learn a great deal from the real eyes-on (vice virtual) experience.
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Dec 15, 2005, 06:10 PM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Todd,
That's a great idea. Although at the rate Larry is going, he's going to be done by Christmas. The mid-builders will be you and I and others who join the bandwagon. Lets keep this thought alive and promote it again after the holidays.

By the way, launch code looks good for no wind on Sunday. It might be a good day to spin some propellers.
Dave
Old Dec 15, 2005, 06:19 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLIDERGIDER
By the way, launch code looks good for no wind on Sunday. It might be a good day to spin some propellers.
Dave
Yes, but also ook at Friday from 9 PM thru Midnight!

Too bad we don't have a night-flying auxiliary, just kidding.

I'm planeless for a while yet anyway, so I'm just spectating and agitating for a few more days yet. Will the UPS man ever come!?!?
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Dec 15, 2005, 06:56 PM
Laceys Spring, AL
Joined Sep 2005
144 Posts
Dave and Todd
I'm not likely to get it done by Christmas, but the wing should be done. When I get to the covering stage it might slow a bit, I want it to be a real looker. I think the Idea of a sit down get together sounds good to me.

Larry O
FlyH2O is offline Find More Posts by FlyH2O
Old Dec 15, 2005, 07:03 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
If we can't settle on a restaurant back room, we can always use my office complex. The local rocket club has met there in the past, and we can call in pizza or Steak Out or whatever.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 07:54 PM
cousin Dave
Huntsville, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs
If we can't settle on a restaurant back room, we can always use my office complex. The local rocket club has met there in the past, and we can call in pizza or Steak Out or whatever.
Todd,
That should be good fun. I"ll bet we can get Andy to bring in his Oly99 for comparisons, and maybe a NASF flyer or two will visit with us as well.
Dave
Old Dec 15, 2005, 08:01 PM
Joined Jul 2005
3,513 Posts
I've been a BAAAADDD little Elf

I just looked at my bank statement (hey, I'm supposed to do that), and I see a charge to SkyBench - hmmmmmmn

The charge is for $117.90

Now the question is, is that for the Nostaglia OLY2 or the 3014 Dsheet OLY2

It looks like the Nostaglia OLY2. I wonder if I pay the shipping difference, if they'll make the exchange.....