SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2005, 04:45 PM
Joined Mar 2005
48 Posts
Discussion
DIY laser cutting machine

hello

I wonder if anyone has already managed to build his own laser cutting machine?

would it be complicated to do?

thank you
zorglub is offline Find More Posts by zorglub
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2005, 04:53 PM
Joined Mar 2005
48 Posts
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasercn2.htm
Old Dec 12, 2005, 08:19 PM
St Augustine, FL
Joined Jan 2005
44 Posts
laser

Are you planning on using the described N2 laser for cutting wood?
RC Powered is offline Find More Posts by RC Powered
Old Dec 13, 2005, 08:49 AM
Joined Mar 2005
48 Posts
Not me

I guess no one has already done that.
I've read a bit that is written in the link I gave, it looks very difficult to do.

on the other hand I ve seen a laser cutting machine on the internet at 1000 bucks, and it looks less difficult to work for these bucks than to manage myself to build one

bye
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:33 AM
St Augustine, FL
Joined Jan 2005
44 Posts
What I read on that link is that an N2 laser does not create a focused light bundle which you would need to cut accurately. Then again that unfocused light probably does'nt even have enough energy to make an actual cut anyways. It also pulses so depending on the pulse frequency obtainable would also make or break the cutting possibility. Just wondering if a focusing lens would make it possibly work.
I think almost all cutters use a CO2 laser starting with at least around 25W.
Most ppeople use 40-100W depending on how thick/fast you want to cut.
There is a seller on e-bay who sells 25 and 40W CO2 lasers with and without the required high voltage power supply.

Just wondering if anybody had any experience with one of these.
Would like to build a laser cutter as a next project myself but haven't really done any research yet.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 09:31 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
There is a firm based in Florida claiming to have several kits and manuals as how to build your own. In testimony, they claim to have sold several kits to model building firms, one of which in my neighborhood. However, I have yet to be able to contact these firms, and see the fidelity of cut, how long to change an Autocad based set of lines into the revised language the kit requires, and many more interests.

So far have only heard reports upon the big three laser cutting manufacturers in the model kit cutting business. Many of the kit makers listed in the back of model magazines use one brand of these for their production needs. Most of which are all competing against one another for the limited market, and thus taking in outside non-model related work just to make the monthly payments.

At present time, it is simplier and cheaper to have one of the local laser cutting firms noted in the yellow pages of the telephone book do the work. It may not be as convenient though.

Has anyone experimented with one of the knife cutting systems? The type the dress makers use for cutting out patterns for women and leather goods. These seems to be running about 1/3 the cost of a laser and do not require a special city permit to operate either.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:22 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2004
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorglub
on the other hand I ve seen a laser cutting machine on the internet at 1000 bucks, and it looks less difficult to work for these bucks than to manage myself to build one
Laser cutting machine for $1k? I've not seen that. Do you have a link? Everything I've seen starts at $10-15k and of course goes up.
tran1172 is offline Find More Posts by tran1172
Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:35 AM
United States, OH, Franklin
Joined May 2001
126 Posts
You should check out the following link:

http://www.cnczone.com/

This is the best site I have found for building CNC machines of any type. They have a forum specifically for laser cutting machines.

Good luck,

Bob Fox
ninpofox is offline Find More Posts by ninpofox
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:14 PM
St Augustine, FL
Joined Jan 2005
44 Posts
Laser tube

Here is a 20W CO2 laser tube for $395.00 excluding power supply.
If you scrounge around for all other required materials and can make some yourself you can probably build a machine for less than $2500.00
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:26 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2004
574 Posts
Just trying to be realistic

Yeah. I've looked at CNCzone.com before. It's a nice resource. There's a guy on there that built a lasercutter for around $3k but that was my point. Zorglub is quoted as saying he can buy one for $1k so why build his own. At least that's how I interpreted what he's saying. He makes it sound like you can buy a turnkey setup for $1k and my point is even if you build it yourself, to get a decent one up and running would be $3k plus engineering/fabrication like that guy on CNCzone did.

Also, a 20W laser is not very useful for hobby use so it has little relevance (unless you only want to cut 1/16 ply and 1/8 balsa) regardless of price. I would imagine that a practical laser for hobby use would be in the 50watt and up range capable of cutting 1/8 ply and 1/4 balsa.

I'd love to have a laser cutter but I'm just trying to be realistic here. If someone has a useable laser cutter for $1k, I'd like to buy one as I'm sure many others would. Man, that'd be like finding the Holy Grail for a lot of us.
tran1172 is offline Find More Posts by tran1172
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:52 PM
Joined Mar 2005
48 Posts
here is the link for the $999 laser cutting machine. I dont really know if it is suitable for cutting balsa

http://www.iehk.net/Products/IE300.html
Last edited by zorglub; Dec 15, 2005 at 02:51 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 03:36 PM
Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
296 Posts
The one for $999 has a cutting bed too small for our use. But, they have one for a little over $3000 that has a cutting bed that would work in our wood sizes better. I don't know how well it cuts though.
dspecgsx is offline Find More Posts by dspecgsx
Old Dec 15, 2005, 05:23 PM
St Augustine, FL
Joined Jan 2005
44 Posts
Laser cutting machine

Pricey laser cutter kit, but shure does look good!
laser cutter kit
Old Dec 15, 2005, 05:54 PM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
IE300 Mini Laser "ENGRAVER"

Are you going to engrave planes with a 40w laser???

8"x4"x3.2" inches cutting table. I doubt you can cut out a plane with this laser "engraver" unless you cut puzzle pieces like the 3D puzzles..

U'r wasting your time!!

If you are talking about $10K laser cutters, then we can talk..

-Tomi
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:31 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2 Posts
Is it easy to DIY cutting machine?

I don't think so and should say that it's very difficult. Purchase these cheap cutters.
RomeoRC is offline Find More Posts by RomeoRC