HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2002, 11:45 AM
Joined Jun 2002
11 Posts
Advice on first plane

I'm just getting started with model airplanes (although I've taken a few full-scale flight lessons) and am trying to figure out which plane to buy.

I would like a slow plane that can be flown in an area the size of a football field or less. Since it's my first plane and I won't have access to an instructor, it should be durable and easy to repair. Cost is a big factor. I'd like the plane to be able to do rudimentary aerobatics, so that once I master the basics, I can move on. It'd also be nice to have a plane that is "expandable" (add better motor, etc.).

I think the Wingo looks perfect for this, but it's very expensive and I'd have to figure out what kind of radio, battery, charger, etc. to get, which worries me.

What do you think?

Ben
bkazez is offline Find More Posts by bkazez
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2002, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, Burlingame
Joined Sep 2001
5,350 Posts
go visit

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/

They have an excellent selection and complete kits for people who just start and don't know what to buy.

Go to my site and select the "New in Hobby" option and then follow the few pages.

You can also look at some reviews there, from the Wingo as well.

Wingo is a great choice, T-52 has also lot's of success. Tiger moth as well.

I must say I know someone who just started with a zagi and he is doing just great !! But, he spend 6 days, with everyday about 4 hours on FMS (Simulator) before doing a real flight. He is certainly good but the FMS effect did it's work.

Good luck ! and let us know about your final choice and your first flight.

Patrick
Patrick Plawner is offline Find More Posts by Patrick Plawner
Old Jun 02, 2002, 04:09 PM
nova scotia
Joined Mar 2002
210 Posts
tiger moth

if you are looking for a slowflyer and something really easy to fly get the gws tigermoth it looks scale and an awsome plane to fly
i can fly this in my backyard go to www.greathobbies.com
it all in canadian prices really good company to deal with
CLARKE is offline Find More Posts by CLARKE
Old Jun 02, 2002, 06:22 PM
florida keys
Joined Jun 2002
14 Posts
Ditto on the tigermoth. Wingo (in my opinion) is not a good choice. Tigermoth takes a lot of abuse and flies well (in calm conditions).
crashmeister is offline Find More Posts by crashmeister
Old Jun 02, 2002, 06:24 PM
Blue Springs, MO
Joined Apr 2002
54 Posts
The Wingo is a good choice for what you are looking for. However if you are seriously considering it, I would look at the Soarstar. It's basically the same design, but a better value. It includes everthing you need except the radio. It also has the gearbox which is critical if you would like to get into aerial photography, or using floats. I fly an Advantix camera and a wireless video cam on mine. It's a fun plane. And if you tape the wing and fuse (zagi style) it's almost indestructible.
KC Wingflyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Wingflyer