HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2005, 05:57 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Kurrajong Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,455 Posts
Jart the lawn dart

I dont have a lot of luck with my Jart This weekend was just a Disaster for it & me but good dose come out of it !
The first flight for the Jart started out well it was moving around the sky like a Jart should,fast lots of energy to play with, starting to relax & use more sky for the bigger moves but still being cautious with the sticks, then it happened as I banked around the nose dropped down & it started to spin at a great rate then I lost sight of it in the trees & it was down so began the walk of shame . The Jart was nose in 3 to the only soft dirt in the area.
Back up the top of the hill we checked i over & all looked ok . This time it realy came unstuck in a big way as it moved out I started to bank to the left the ailerons just went out of control just touching them would put the Jart inot the fastest spin it was now looking like it was going for a swim in the ocean all I could control was the elevator but it was heading away from the hill at a great rate, left aileron just a touch still put it in a spin so I just pushed hard down & tried to turn it back in as best I could then we all heard the noise as it ploughed in to the trees over 500mt away down the hill.
BMtech is offline Find More Posts by BMtech
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2005, 06:04 AM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Kurrajong Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,455 Posts
PIcs to follow later

Rick.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 06:12 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2004
1,460 Posts
sad to hear about it ...I always hate hearing about nice planes going down"

also might be a great time to build another with improvements over the first run...

show us the damage and is it fixable..

cheers
doug
flybaby2000 is offline Find More Posts by flybaby2000
Old Dec 12, 2005, 08:36 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,075 Posts
Did some noseweight come loose or something? I'm not sure what would else could make a plane that's flying OK suddenly just go bonkers. Hard to say, I'm really just shooting in the dark here. It's disappointing but you can always either rebuild it or do a new one

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2005, 09:24 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,910 Posts
I think the 'Imp nailed it. The sleds are probably the most rebuildable of all R/C planes, so hopefully you can get it back together. I know what you mean about that sound though...ouch.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Goat Rock Threads
Old Dec 12, 2005, 10:28 AM
Horned one
Vigo, Spain
Joined Sep 2004
759 Posts
Like the 'imp, I would say the CG went way back after the first incident. I'd check the nose weight or anything that might have come loose - could have been just resting in place, then in the second launch it scooted back and took the plane's balance outside its flyable boundaries, especially if you were flying a rearward CG to begin with.

Other than that,
zero-zero is offline Find More Posts by zero-zero
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:30 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,030 Posts
To me Rick ,
It sounds like the aileron servo's may have dislodged and were getting stuck and locking you ailerons causing the out of control roll .Sorry to hear about it and I know how far that walk down is ,hope its fixable .But I'm sure between you and Glenn should not be a challenge
SteveW
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:59 PM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,018 Posts
Ain't life grand?

Could be any of the problems mentioned. Or one of them electronic gremlins may have taken up residence in your system. Let us know what you come up with.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Dec 12, 2005, 01:19 PM
It could happen...
Torrance, California
Joined Jan 2004
7,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed
one of them electronic gremlins
Is that one of those dudes in the funny hats???

Sorry to hear about the Jart. Sounds more electronic in nature to me, though like Reed said it could be a number of things as already noted in other posts. Hope you get it all osrted out and the Jart gets back in the air...or another built if the worst case scenario plays out.
InTheLift is offline Find More Posts by InTheLift
Old Dec 12, 2005, 01:53 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,910 Posts
Repair thread!
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Goat Rock Threads
Old Dec 12, 2005, 02:55 PM
Scorpian 60'' 2012
Kurrajong Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,455 Posts
Reed & ItL you both nailed it the tx pack on my raidio is at fault.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 04:20 PM
built flown + crashed it
Pewsey, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Oct 2004
408 Posts
I feel for you, knowing how much effort goes into these things. sounds like a chrismas holiday rebuild to me, and doing a thread might help a little.
thermaled is offline Find More Posts by thermaled
Old Dec 12, 2005, 04:59 PM
Firecracker!
San Francisco & Santa Cruz
Joined Oct 2004
2,346 Posts
Rick, I'm sorry to hear that! It happens to everyone. But it's always the worst when you don't have much stick time on a new one. Hope it is fixable...

Bill
BillO is offline Find More Posts by BillO
Old Dec 12, 2005, 05:49 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,867 Posts
Yeah Rick I saw you walking back with the Jart as I was leaving didn't look too bad (at least it was in one piece?) But anyway, damn cool looking model you have there, looks even better in person than it does here.

If it makes you feel better my mynx went into a tree at speed due to my own (un-coordination) and requires a little reconstructive surgery. The tree is a little shorter though
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Dec 12, 2005, 06:01 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMtech
Reed & ItL you both nailed it the tx pack on my raidio is at fault.
Glad at least you figured it out.

Wonder how many people actually do range checks (including after crashes) and whether that might have avoided this set of crashes? 20/20 hindsight, of course!

And probably a good idea to look at the transmitter volt meter, whatever, before each flight. But again, probably few would ever think to do so. I certainly don't.

Now that I think about it, my el-cheapo transmitter just has a warning buzzer, so there's nothing to look at before the flight. That suggests a better Tx with a meter would be good "insurance".
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet