SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 11, 2005, 10:18 PM
It's a really big number.
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
SIG 1/6th clipped wing cub kit.

Hi all,

I finally managed to get myself one of these babies the other week after years of wanting by getting sidetracked by other projects. Now I finally have run out of excuses .

Anyone else out there built one? If so what problems did you encounter in construction and flight, and what engine did you use?

The kit is badged for .19 -> .35-2 stroke, so I'm hoping to use a little old OS 40 4-stroke I have laying around. It should be equivilent to a .28 according to all the blah when I bought it. Anyone else used this combo? I'm not after vertical performace, just nice scale (and scale-ish sounding) flight.

-Tim
Googleplex is offline Find More Posts by Googleplex
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:16 PM
Will fly for food...
Huntsville, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2005
97 Posts
I just finished the full wing version of the same kit. It's identical except for the wing length. The kit is old style tedious construction, but for an old timer like me it was a real enjoyable build. The frame is very delicate till you cover it so look out for warps. The wire landing gear is pre-bent, but nothing matched up so I ended up bending it anyway. I covered mine in Ultra Cote and built a dummy engine out of balsa and plastic. I put a new Magnum .40 in it and it is way over powered at 4 lbs flying weight. This plane is so light that you could probably fly it just fine on a .25 easily. It flys exactly like a real Cub...slow and graceful. Since your is clipped, you should be able to do some neat tricks with it. On takeoff, the ailerons are not effective for the first few seconds, so be quick on the rudder to keep it straight. The Cub is easy to fly, but takeoffs can be tricky for some reason. Mine also has a nasty tip stall even though the wing is perfectly flat. You have to fight it to bring it down as it just floats all the way down the runway. I just love flying the plane and I highly recommend this kit. Best of luck with yours!
flyingvranch is offline Find More Posts by flyingvranch
Old Dec 14, 2005, 06:57 PM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Oct 2003
92 Posts
A buddy of mine has the clipped wing version and it wasn't too good with ground handling. He put floats on it and loves it! It seemed to ground loop just as the tail would come up. I never tried flying it so I'm not sure just how it all happend. He's a good pilot though and has flown many tail draggers.
Kimbro is offline Find More Posts by Kimbro
Old Dec 14, 2005, 09:37 PM
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
Thanks for that!

I'll toss the old OS 40FS in it then. I've heard of the clipped wing's ground loopy behaviour - Something to with the tail being same size and the shorter wings not providing as much drag up high and the tail coming up earlier than on the full wing, at a speed below what's effective for the rudder / fin to work.

As for construction, I love building, to the degree that I passed over all the newer versions of the clipped cub to get the sig version (and it took a lot of trouble to do that down here in ARF land - Australia).

Thanks again for the replies,

-Tim
Old Dec 15, 2005, 07:13 AM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Oct 2003
92 Posts
Hi Tim,

I've built the Sig 1/4th scale in clipped wing and was amazed at it's performance. I had it underpowered with an O.S. .91 surpass and it'd still do knife edge flight etc. I had put floats on it and everthing although I never had the opportunity to fly it on water.

I foolishly sold it to a guy who crashed it within a few weeks.

Since then I've bought another and plan to build it again someday.

SIG is a real builders kit. I have a Smith Mini plane that has the same basic construction. I've had it since 1994 and it is still my primary flyer.

Have fun!
Kim
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:20 PM
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,315 Posts
The Smith Miniplane is an awesome bipe - don't ever sell it. I had one powered by one of the good Magnum 46's, but sold it in a fit of stupidity (and I can't even remember why) and have regretted it many times when flicking through old photos. It was a dream to fly and had only one gripe - it would prefer to float from one end of the strip to the other at 20MPH rather than land .

If the cub performs anywhere near as well, I think I'm going to like it. If it has as much building as the miniplane, it'll keep me out of trouble for a few months.

-Tim
Old Dec 17, 2005, 09:26 AM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Oct 2003
92 Posts
Sounds familiar! I've got q picture of mine somewhere I'll add it to my gallery. It's an awesome aerobatic bipe but easy to fly. I also bought a kit to have in reserve!

Kimbro