SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2002, 04:35 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I flew mine again today. I discovered that the battery I was using to power the LiPoly charger was running down, and recharged of a converter. With a fully charged battery, it does fly quite well.

Turning that big wing requires a lot of rudder.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2002, 11:32 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,426 Posts
Mike,

My conversion will have elevator, throttle, and single aileron controls.

The Sky Runner may be even a better choice for the beginner indoor micro R/Cer than the Lightning!

Check out this all-in-one electronics center! The RFFS100 module, 230mAh LiPoly cell, On/Off switch, and charger jack are all contained in one plug-in module that weighs only 0.3oz!

I simply wired my plug that came with the Sky Runner kit to a Selman BSLipC1 charger and i'm ready to go! No fumbling with loose cells or tiny connectors.

Click here for a larger image.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Dec 15, 2002, 11:42 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Greg,
I think the ailerons are a very good idea. Mine doesn't want to turn unless you are firewalled and the prop is blowing on the rudder. There is a lot of room in there (compared to some other projects!). I'll be interested in your flight results with this mod...
Old Dec 16, 2002, 08:58 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,426 Posts
Mike,

Yeah, I considered those two back fins to be better stabilizers than rudders. The Sky Runner should fly plenty slow so that a single aileron will easily maneuver it indoors.

Check out the perfect fit of the KP-00 motor in the Sky Runner. It retains the same upthrust and is fully protected from the top removeable pod cap. Very cool!

RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2002, 12:33 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Has anyone else powered one of these with "full size" pico stuff?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=3

I'm hoping to get some spare cash soon for lipoly's so I can shead 1/2 of the 2oz battery weight I am hauling and get below this 4.8oz AUW.

Here is a bad set of video in windows media. I took 5 minutes of tripod video and these four tiny clips are all that the camera see's the plane in and it is fuzzy to boot. I swear these are the slower manovers which must be why they are the only ones to show up.

http://www.fdisk.com/rcaddict/vid/mini1.wmv

I use the stock boom and all the foam is of the same strength so there is a whole lotta flex going on in the tail. It makes things interesting--sort of like controlling a drunk bullet.
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Dec 18, 2002, 08:36 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,426 Posts
fdisk,

If you look at pages 1 and 2 on this thread, Gary posted some conversion photos using conventional R/C gear.

The stock free-flight plane weighs 1.9oz and yours is almost 5oz! I hope that you strengthened the wing a bit.

My RFFS100 conversion should weigh less than stock by several tenths of an ounce. I'm shooting for about 1.7oz.

Here is the completed elevator assembly using the Selman actuator. It was very easy to install using tape hinges.

RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2002, 08:49 AM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
My first flight had a 1mm cf rod strapped to the LE. I took it out in 10-15+ mph winds because I was sick of waiting. I threw it out and it took off like a shot. I wasn't really ready for it to become a spec yet so I tried to reel it in and induced a grand loop. I let it carry over because it looked like it was going to be okay, but on the downswoop the wings stood up like bunny ears and the plane dropped to the ground safely but firmly on a perfect one-point belly landing. No damage.

The next flight had a 2mm rod on the wing. It seems to hold up well. Now I'm more worried about the boom and tail group flexing under 30+ mph manovers. I need a spar across the elevator at least.

I wish I had cash for micro-mini stuff. I only built this for the heck of it because my mini-wing was crunched and the plane was free to me. It turned out to be faster than the wing it replaced so I kept it for now.
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Dec 22, 2002, 04:35 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,426 Posts
My Sky Runner balanced perfectly without any changes.

It is RTF at 1.8oz which is 0.1oz under the stock free flight weight.

RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2002, 10:30 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,426 Posts
Here is a closeup of my Sky Runner aileron linkage using a Selman actuator.

The actuator is mounted on the fuselage side of the aileron to minimize the weight offset.

RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2002, 10:30 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Greg,

I looked at the close up of your linkage, and I don't see where there is a lot of 'flex' in that (what appears to be) solid linkage. How does it operate without binding up?
Old Dec 27, 2002, 12:34 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,426 Posts
Mike,

Both the aileron and elevator have a 45 degree bevel sanded into the leading edge. A half-circle is cut into the foam around the actuator on the controlling surface and a 1/4" square slot on the wing (or stab) to mount the actuator.

The control rod is a stripped piece of DWE wire from the RFFS100 kit. It has a "Z" bend on the actuator end and is then CAed into the foam control surface.

A few simple 1/8" strips of tape make the installation easy and free from binding. No more rubber bands! The Selman actuator has eliminated the need for them. Not because of its extra strength but because of the self-centering magnet.

This is all detailed in my conversion write-up for DWE.

Regards.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2002, 01:28 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Mar 2001
226 Posts
Greg,

What is flying on one aileron like? Any advantage over R/E control?

ps where are you flying this winter?

Regards,

Larry
Fly_joy is offline Find More Posts by Fly_joy
Old Dec 27, 2002, 02:37 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Greg,

I don't have questions about the hinging of the surfaces, but what I see that I don't understand is a solid piece of wire.

It seems that to make the surface move, the wire has to bend some for the geometry to work. It seems the wire would bind and/or require more of the extra 'oomph' from the actuator, and that some sort of hinge there would be required. If I think pull/pull, the angle between the line and the p/p arm would have to change, but I don't see how that works here...
Old Dec 27, 2002, 03:38 PM
Outside the sanity box
Joined Dec 2002
19 Posts
From the picture it looks like the aileron linkage wire stays in that L shape and the zbend on the actuator side rotates inside the control horn hole as it moves forward and back. Shouldn't be a problem with low throws.

--------------------

I have run one of these out in the snow a couple times now and finally broke the stock boom. At first I just tried gluing it back together, but it turned out to have fractured in multiple places and I didn't realize it at first. It looks to me like that boom wood doesn't like getting wet very much. I'm going to switch to CF but I thought I would mention it for others who might have been thinking about staying stock and running out in the elements.
outsane is offline Find More Posts by outsane
Old Dec 28, 2002, 08:47 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,426 Posts
Mike,

Forgive me but I don't understand what you don't understand (if that makes any sense).

The actuator arm moves about 60 degress, therefor the aileron can move +/- 30 degrees. There is no binding for the full range.

outsane has it right assuming that he considers a +/- 30 degree swing to be low throws. I guess it depends upon the size of the aileron.

Larry,

Ask any pylon racer and he'll tell you that one good aileron is better than two bad ones.

The advantage of aileron control over rudder control is in maneuverability. The rudder allows for flat turns and is best for slow speed turning. In the Sky Runner application, it was a design choice made for easier duplication and balancing.

I was amazed when the model balanced without any correction needed.

I recently received some bad news from the local RAMS club. There will be no indoor flying at the Xerox gym this Winter.

I am currently pushing the CHIEFS club to set some dates at the Canandaigua Academy.

So many indoor models and no place to fly...
RCG Plus Member