HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2002, 02:43 PM
Flying...Pushing Air Down
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
TailWagger

Greg,

I guess you missed my previous (many months ago) thread on this conversion. Here's the boom pivot joint. The threads going through the short tube are the pull-pull lines for elevator.

Looooeeee,

All-up 4.4 ounces.

Gary
sr71fan is offline Find More Posts by sr71fan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2002, 02:46 PM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Weight

another
Old Oct 14, 2002, 02:55 PM
Clovis, NM, USA
Joined Nov 2000
3,548 Posts
Outdoors Too!

The airplane has a pretty high wing loading, which makes it a little bit fast in the gym (but figure 8s are easy), and comfortable outdoors in the wind.

Photo by Jason Nowell.

Gary
Old Nov 24, 2002, 07:04 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,832 Posts
Here is a re-cap of why my next micro project will be converting the Harbor Freight Sky Runner to R/C using the RFFS100 module.

It has many things that I am looking for that will help bring more people into micro flight. My goal here is a simple to convert, simple to fly, and durable indoor flyer.
  • safe pusher configuration
  • rubber nose for crashing
  • charging station
  • On/Off switch
  • cheap $10-$13 ARF
  • big wingspan for 2oz
  • durable foam construction

I'm thinking of replacing half of the wooden dowel fuselage with a carbon tube. This should reduce some weight and allow for a sliding CG correction which makes component placement less critical. I would also use the Selman "self centering" actuators for elevator and aileron(s). It should be a fun conversion.

Here is a photo of the stock Sky Runner next to my converted Wattage Lightning using conventional R/C gear and an AF Firefly motor. The Lightning weighs 3oz using a 2-cell Lithium pack and it flies very easily indoors with little effort or skill needed.

The Sky Runner has a similar wingarea but is only 2/3 the weight. Using an RFFS100 module, I feel that it can be kept to around 2oz. I think the easiest conversion controls will be elevator and maybe a single aileron.

I'll keep you posted on the mods. as they materialize and, as always, I welcome suggestions.

Click here for a larger image.
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Nov 24, 2002, 07:47 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I've finished a SkyRunner/RFFS conversion. Haven't flown it yet, but maybe tomorrow. It weighs 1 3/4 oz. or 51 grams AUW. That includes a belly wheel, charging jack and on/charge switch, radio, two Selman actuators and CF control rods. It actually weighs less than the stock FF version! The battery/switch and plug assembly you rip out weighs 3/4 ounce.
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor
Old Nov 24, 2002, 09:21 PM
USA
Joined Oct 2001
5,174 Posts
I am nearly done with my Sky Runner conversion using rudder only pulse propor control. AUW is about 2.2 ounces with a 4-cell 150mAH NiMH pack. I replaced the boom with a CF rod and a N20 motor was installed.

However, I am still dorking around with the motor choice. What are you using? How many cells do you intend to fly with?

Regards,
Mr. RC-CAM
Mr.RC-CAM is offline Find More Posts by Mr.RC-CAM
Old Nov 24, 2002, 10:36 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
I put a KP-00 motor with U80 prop, and 1 x 170 mah LiPoly battery, RFFS RX, and 2 Selman actuators on mine. I also have some other KP 2- 3- and 4-bladed props to play with. The 1 3/4 oz. weight includes the battery.

If I had any CF tubing, I would have replaced the wooden boom as well. Every bit you can save back there makes balancing easier. As it is, I had to mount everything as far forward as possible.

I was only able to get the CG at ~ 40 - 45% without ballast. I think that is pretty far back, but the stock toy balances at ~ 65 - 70%, and it glides just fine like that, so I will try it before I decide to add balast.

I wanted to put a 230 mah LiPoly in the nose to help bring the CG forward, but I had shorted out the only spare I had and it won't take a charge so I put in a 170 instead (1cell, 4.2 v, 170 mah, 4 grams w/ connections).

If you haven't looked at these cells, check them out. They are really light and packs lots of power... A 230 will run a 14" Lightning for ~20 minutes or more (22:34 on one outdoor flight). The 230 mah LiPoly cell weighs only 6 grams wired up.

I used the switch that came with the plane, and an earphone jack for the charger, and mounted these two to a 1/64" plywood base that covers part of the hole in the belly. The plastic piece you pull should get tossed since it is too heavy at ~4 or 5 grams.

I intend this to be a motor glider, with emphasis on the 'glider' part. I live at the foot of a low hill, and there are trees that form a slope wave in front of my porch. I could fly forever on a 230 mah cell!

This is also going to be a testbed for the motor since it is almost twice the weigh (1 3/4 oz.) of the other planes I fly with the KP-00s. If it has enough poop, a KP-00 will go in a more elaborate built-up stick and tissue 'walnut' scale plane. If not, the pull-off blister protecting the motor on the SkyRunner allows for testing a lot of prop and motor combos very quickly and easily!
Old Nov 25, 2002, 09:31 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,832 Posts
It sounds like you guys are doing a great job!

I haven't taken out the stock battery yet but it looked pretty large. I suspected that CG would be a pain, that was the reason for the carbon tube replacing half of the fuselage. You could simply slide into the right CG.

Although the KP-00 motor will work just fine here, once again, the E-Chargers enclosed gearbox would be very cool in the existing pod.

Mike,

Remember that with the extra weight, you also have a much larger wingspan. The KP-00 motor should be more than enough power for the Sky Runner.

Regards.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2002, 05:01 AM
Blade Butcher
Boones Mill, VA
Joined Nov 2002
543 Posts
The HF planes are on sale in the stores in the Virginia area until 12/24.
smitty240 is offline Find More Posts by smitty240
Old Nov 28, 2002, 12:20 PM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Greg,

The stock motor, batteries, wiring and the plastic 'power center' on this weigh 3/4 ounce! With the micro gear, Kp-00 and Lipolys, it lost weogh going from FF to R/C! I also broke down and bought some e-chargers to experiment with. They are awfully cute.

Wing loading (~4 oz/^ft) is lighter than the Lightning (~5.2 oz/^ft) or the e-Charger (5/8 oz., 16.5 ^", 5.8 oz/^ft.). I also stood it on its nose on the scale and measured the thrust (5/8 oz) @ ~30% of the weight. I see no problems in getting this flying. All I need now is a calm day (haven't had one in 2 weeks).
Old Nov 28, 2002, 01:04 PM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,832 Posts
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information. I'm excited to get this conversion project started and now feel confident that it will make an excellent durable indoor trainer.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2002, 02:24 PM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,292 Posts
Wow. I never noticed this thread before. As soon as I pick up an RFFS system, I'll have to add this plane to my list of possibles. We have two that run FF, and I've almost lost the first one about 5 times (got a 4 minute flight out of it that took it "cross-neighborhood". I'd never seen an FF plane rid thermals like that before, but I met some new neighbors that day!) For us, a 30 second charge on new batteries produces motor run times of about a minute and fifteen seconds. I love these things. We've crashed it numerous times and it's still in one piece. Now look what you guys have done! By the time I get my RFFS system, I'll have a garage full of these things!

Nick R.
KnifeEdge51 is offline Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Dec 01, 2002, 07:28 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,832 Posts
LOL, Nick!

Yes, you have to be careful not to charge these FF planes too long or you'll get a good workout!

Regards.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2002, 11:57 AM
Lompoc, CA
Joined Oct 2002
35 Posts
How about using the wing from a sky runner on the Lightning? Would the motor handle the larger wingspan?
Stewart Pid is offline Find More Posts by Stewart Pid
Old Dec 04, 2002, 01:40 PM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,832 Posts
Yes, you could do that, but, at the cost of an already great scale look and flyer.

The KP-00 motor has plenty of power since most of the flight is at reduced throttle.
RCG Plus Member