SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2005, 01:29 PM
So Cal
Joined Oct 2005
2 Posts
EF Sabre... Am I wasting my time?

Ive been trying to fly my EF sabre. Key word is "trying". I ve flown my friends T-Rex and do good but I bought the sabre because the hooby store guy said it was a good first cheap heli. I believe him now that it is cheap but Im not so sure about good. I get it out of ground effect then after about 10-20 seconds it veers of to one or another direction and down she goes. Anyone else flying this bird with success? I read the manual on how to fly it but if anyone has some suggestions. Thanks!
cloudskurfer is offline Find More Posts by cloudskurfer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2005, 01:34 PM
Joined May 2005
1,051 Posts
the sabre is fixed pitch RTF and the trex is top class micro/mini heli.

since you know you can already fly a trex,
maybe you should just get a trex like your friend and forget about this cheap thing.

btw trex are on sale right now just in time for xmas. $160 i think. or $235 with motor and esc.

http://www.techmodelproducts.com/trex.php
jh4db536 is offline Find More Posts by jh4db536
Old Dec 10, 2005, 01:38 PM
Old new guy
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Sep 2004
3,152 Posts
The Sabre is a rebadged Walkera, in fact the replacement electronics at Hobby People say Walkera on them. That being said a Blade CP might be a lot better choice if you're looking for something that's an all in one setup.
TheX is offline Find More Posts by TheX
Old Dec 10, 2005, 01:43 PM
justinsain
camarillo,ca
Joined Nov 2005
65 Posts
hay, i fly a saber as well as a blade cp i have had good luck with mine it took me awile to trim it out with traing gear but im pleased take it to were you bought it and let them ckeck it out. good luck
justinsain is offline Find More Posts by justinsain
Old Dec 10, 2005, 02:01 PM
Joined Feb 2005
40 Posts
I think the Sabre is a great little heli, its my second one so far (had the hummingbird V3 and it broke the day i bought it).
i've had it for 2-3 weeks and im very happy with how it performs, quite stable, learning in a 6x6 room with obstructions and i've only just broke the rotor head and one of the landing struts
i've even flown it into a brick wall outsite, and the rear prop just popped off, no damage.
twitt is offline Find More Posts by twitt
Old Dec 10, 2005, 03:05 PM
West Sussex, UK.
Joined Mar 2005
245 Posts
It's a re-badged walkera #4. There are loads of threads on here about how to tweak it. But in a nutshell, I would recommend replacing the servos with just about any 9g servo hs 50, supertec etc and replacing the blades with cenrury hummingbird. After that it's up to you! They do fly, they will teach to you to hover and take a massive amount of punishment. Good luck!

Cheers SY.
Shortarse_Yoda is offline Find More Posts by Shortarse_Yoda
Old Dec 10, 2005, 03:17 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2 Posts
Sabre

I agree with the above post. I bought a Sabre a few weeks ago as my first heli, and after getting it trimmed out I can hover it quite nicely, although it requires constant input to keep it in a 3x3 square. Once I'm up between 3-5 feet, I get no ground effect at all and it flies much nicer.
Go down to your LHS and pick up a few extra weights to add to the paddles. I have 2 each on mine and it really helps with keeping it stable. Also try putting an O-ring just above the swashplate between it and the rotor head. I used a smile slice of fuel line and it also helped out quite a bit.
Alienware is offline Find More Posts by Alienware
Old Dec 10, 2005, 03:39 PM
Sunday Flier
Sweden
Joined May 2005
1,488 Posts
I dunno about the o-rings, but after I made sure the blades were balanced and the paddles straight and balanced, it flew pretty well. And yeah, the servos are worthless and will need replacing sooner rather than later.
Rickenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Rickenbacker
Old Dec 10, 2005, 04:56 PM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
you can get a t-rex with motor and esc for 200$!!

http://www.tedani.com/trex-450xl-3d-...a08e65199085a4
Nick J is offline Find More Posts by Nick J
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:20 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,334 Posts
I have been flying a Sabre since last March. As Rickenbacker said above, I had to change out the servos after about 30 flights as they became glitchy (I probably should have taken them apart and cleaned to potentiometers, as that is probably all that they needed).

At any rate, this is good flying little helicopter. I have many, many flights on mine and am still enjoying it.
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:52 AM
Fresno, CA
Joined May 2002
283 Posts
Sabre is a nice little heli to learn how to fly. I learn with this heli first before I went on to flying a Blade. I still love flying my Sabre, actually, it is the only one that I fly inside my home when the weather outside does not permit me to fly the Blade. Hobby People carry many replacement parts. Walkera or not, still fun to fly.
CooLJ92 is offline Find More Posts by CooLJ92
Old Dec 12, 2005, 12:31 PM
Kentucky
Joined Dec 2003
1,744 Posts
I'd stick with the micro FP until you absolutely feel you've mastered it. Micro FP's are more difficult to fly than larger electrics, but they are inexpensive and will take massive amounts of punishment (read:crashes) often without any damage. Every 30-40 flights you might need to replace a $5-$10 part. They are worth their weight in gold for the fact you get massive amounts of airtime with minimal costs and easy-to-understand set-ups that aren't complicated like a CP machine.

I almost gave up on my Esky FP at first (very similar, if not the same as the Sabre). Trick is, look up RADD school, learn and perfect the most basic stuff first and don't continue on until you do. I spent the first 10-15 flights scooting around on the training gear before I even tried to lift it off the ground!

Other than that, balance the main blades and tail rotors, make sure your flybar and paddles are level and aligned, makes sure your servos, linkages, swash, and ar bracket/pin move well and have no binding, and keep asking questions.

Again, I was an accomplished 3d plane guy, just thought I could fly a little heli out of the box. Ha! Take your time, follow the online guides, the heli's do fly well, but they require lots of stick input and a touch that has to be learned through experience. But once you get the hang of it, they're challenging and loads of fun.

BTW, you could probably use parts from Esky at www.hobby-lobby.com, look to see if they are the same thing. Other than that, www.heli-fever.com is good (but overseas, expensive shipping and a little longer time frame to get to you), and you can modify GWS Dragonfly parts to fit. IMO, the rotor head on this design is more prone to breakage ($9), but I think the head flies better than the GWS parts I recently put on my Esky. Not a huge difference, but enough to be noticeable. The GWS rotor head and flybar retainers are more substantial and less prone to flybar slippage, though, so its all a toss-up IMO. If you use off-brand stuff, though, be aware you might need more than one part to make things work, and you might need to cut/modify to fit.

Oh, try www.raidentech.com for Sabre parts, or www.cahobby.com, again, these may be Esky labelled parts, but should be able to use. Worst case, just swith over the rotor head/blade grip plate/flybar holder and such to Esky or GWS Dragonfly and worry no more about spares. The stuff's is pretty cheap and hard to break. Good luck.
Johnny B is offline Find More Posts by Johnny B
Last edited by Johnny B; Dec 12, 2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2005, 12:04 AM
So Cal
Joined Oct 2005
2 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the help... I bought a shogun and it flies great. The sabre does fly alright after a few tweaks.
cloudskurfer is offline Find More Posts by cloudskurfer
Old Jan 31, 2006, 11:27 PM
Hotep
UK
Joined Dec 2005
2,395 Posts
I just found out today by getting a part for my heli ( had Sabre on bag) that mine is also a Sabre\Walker.
Mine is actually called a Synapse.
I agree though with the 1st post, it sometimes veers of to one or another direction for no reason, i think with mine its someting to do with the cheep radio, as it only does this outside when more than 15 feet away or so, never does it inside. And i can already fly....basics that is ....freinds Raptor 30

Quote:
But in a nutshell, I would recommend replacing the servos with just about any 9g servo hs 50, supertec etc and replacing the blades with cenrury hummingbird.
Mine also has very bad twitching servos so i think ill get better ones.

Getting T-Rex very soon.
ShuNut is offline Find More Posts by ShuNut
Old Feb 01, 2006, 01:16 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heliman13
you can get a t-rex with motor and esc for 200$!!

http://www.tedani.com/trex-450xl-3d-...a08e65199085a4
No doubt, but he would then need to also spring $$$ for new batteries, servos, Rx and probably Tx, gyro and maybe even a LiPo charger.

There are enough people able to get by with the cheap FP helis that it is not essential to chuck them away and spend more bucks.
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott